Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking for advice as to what to upgrade in my system to give me a better gaming experience,i feel my current set-up is kinda sluggish when playing some games.As u can see i just have a basic set-up nothing special, only thing i have added is the graphics card about a year ago.
I have around £100-£120(gbp) to spend on an upgrade and would appreciate your opinion,cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Definetely the GPU. Your CPU might bottleneck it though. I am not sure of currency difference but upgrading the the next Generation from yours would cost at least 100-120$. The ATI 4830 is a new line of budget cards and should help out.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor31 View Post
Hi guys looking for advice as to what to upgrade in my system to give me a better gaming experience,i feel my current set-up is kinda sluggish when playing some games.As u can see i just have a basic set-up nothing special, only thing i have added is the graphics card about a year ago.
I have around £100-£120(gbp) to spend on an upgrade and would appreciate your opinion,cheers.

Trebor31, welcome to OCN

Before you upgrade your video card make sure the power supply in your Acer computer is able to provide enough power via wattage and amperage. Depending on what video card you decide to purchase make sure your power supply also has the correct power cable (ie. 6-pin, 8-pin ect).

If I am doing the conversion right 120 pounds comes out to be almost 200 U.S. dollars? If that is the case then you could probably pick up a 4850 for that price. If your budget is a little tight then you could always pick up a 3850 and have some money left over.

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys,i like the look of both the 4830 and 4850 and both are within my price range.
What amp/watt should my power supply be to be able to run these cards? as i just have a bog standard factory fitted one which i will check out over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor31 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys,i like the look of both the 4830 and 4850 and both are within my price range.
What amp/watt should my power supply be to be able to run these cards? as i just have a bog standard factory fitted one which i will check out over the weekend.
Trebor31, for both cards (just to be safe) I would recommend at least 30-40amps. This would be for "total system power". If you have time, look into the Corsair series power supplies. They are quality built and very reliable. A few reviews on these power supplies are also located at Jonnyguru.com. I believe they are manufactured by Seasonic and Channel Well Technology (depending on the model).

Hope that helps

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
definetely the gpu. Your cpu might bottleneck it though. I am not sure of currency difference but upgrading the the next generation from yours would cost at least 100-120$. The ati 4830 is a new line of budget cards and should help out.
+1

·
:)
854 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Trebor31, for both cards (just to be safe) I would recommend at least 30-40amps. This would be for "total system power". If you have time, look into the Corsair series power supplies. They are quality built and very reliable. A few reviews on these power supplies are also located at Jonnyguru.com. I believe they are manufactured by Seasonic and Channel Well Technology (depending on the model).

Hope that helps

the HX and VX series PSU`s from corsair are some of the best around, i cant fault my HX520

1 - 8 of 8 Posts