Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I've noticed the following problem on my PC. Running the computer at stock ram speeds (1333MHz) produces completely random crashes (reboots) at very different intervals. Could take 1 hour, could take 3 days, it really sucks.

The ram is 2 sticks of Apacer 1333 and 2 sticks of Kingston 1333.

Underclocking the RAM to 800MHz seems to make the system completely stable.

I've accepted this sad fact and I'm using the system at 800MHz but I always come back to it and try again to run at stock, to no avail.

Every component on my rig (sig) is at stock freq/volts. MEMtest is negative.

Ideas as to what the culpit is?
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloG. View Post

Greetings.

I've noticed the following problem on my PC. Running the computer at stock ram speeds (1333MHz) produces completely random crashes (reboots) at very different intervals. Could take 1 hour, could take 3 days, it really sucks.

The ram is 2 sticks of Apacer 1333 and 2 sticks of Kingston 1333.

Underclocking the RAM to 800MHz seems to make the system completely stable.

I've accepted this sad fact and I'm using the system at 800MHz but I always come back to it and try again to run at stock, to no avail.

Every component on my rig (sig) is at stock freq/volts. MEMtest is negative.

Ideas as to what the culpit is?
smile.gif
mixing ram is never a good idea even if they are rated for the same speed and timings

have you tried with just the Apacer or just the Kingston ram?

do you get any bsod or error messages when you crash ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I haven't tried that, I am trying it out right now. It has been suggested to me to run FFTs to try and reproduce the crash with only the Kingston or Apacer sticks and that's what I'm trying out now. No crashes so far.

I am thinking about getting a new pair of sticks but I'm wondering, if I get 2 sticks of X brand, does that mean that the other two slots should be filled with the exact same model?
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
39,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloG. View Post

No I haven't tried that, I am trying it out right now. It has been suggested to me to run FFTs to try and reproduce the crash with only the Kingston or Apacer sticks and that's what I'm trying out now. No crashes so far.

I am thinking about getting a new pair of sticks but I'm wondering, if I get 2 sticks of X brand, does that mean that the other two slots should be filled with the exact same model?
Mixing RAM is well known to cause all sorts of problems.
So yes your RAM slots should be the exact same brand model speed and everything else.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: AngeloG.

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would need 16 at least. I'll probably get a 2x8 kit but it's so annoying that I have to find the same kit in the future if I want an upgrade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,036 Posts
As others have said, mixing ram is a bad idea. Stick with a tested matching set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

As others have said, mixing ram is a bad idea. Stick with a tested matching set.
Will do. Thanks for the input.

To anyone reading this in the faaaar future, try relaxing your timings a bit, it might help. Else only use the same model of RAM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Mixing different RAM kits is always a risk that they won't play nice together, but you should be able to get it to work if you put some time into it...
I've clocked mixed 1333 ram (2x2GB each of Team and Samsung total 8GB) well over 1500Mhz on 1.51V.
You might be able to get better results by switching around the positions.
Mine is working fine with the sticks from each set on their own channel (don't mix two different sticks in the same channel).

Like this:

Channel A
Apacer
Apacer

Channel B
Kingston
Kingston

NOT like this:

Channel A
Apacer
Kingston

Channel B
Apacer
Kingston

Only do the second way if the sticks are different sizes, so that the entire capacity can run in dual channel. When the sticks are all the same size the first way is likely to be more stable.

Also go into your BIOS and set all the timings to match the SPDs manually, Auto might be setting them wrong.
If the timings are different between the sticks, set both to the looser timing.

Finally once you think everything's stable test with Prime95 on "Blend" for 24 hours to confirm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great tips, I will make sure all this is done. The channels I think are indeed swapped so I will fix that, and I have loosened the timings a bit, I will see if it crashes again and give you guys an update so future people find the solution.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top