Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my system about 3 months ago but this issue just recently started occurring, even after reverting all my settings to stock.

I provided a video as to what's happening:
https://youtu.be/WM7gE9R6UEc

Initially I thought that maybe it was an unstable overclock, so I reset everything. The issue generally occurred when gaming, meaning components were being stressed, so I thought maybe the GPU was overheating and I ran OpenCL and Heaven for at least an hour with temps at 84C and nothing happened. Then after a gaming session, it happened again with temps at ~60 for the GPU and ~50 for the CPU. This leads me to believe that the issue is most likely the power supply, or the motherboard, but honestly because I can't explicitly replicate it I don't know what to do.

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting as I don't have spare high performance parts to test with. I'd rather be able to isolate the issue and determine what the problem is before ordering parts. This is becoming increasingly frustrating because it will happen randomly, whether I'm playing a game, just finished, or doing something else.

The OS isn't crashing, the system fully shuts down. Afterward, it will continue to turn on and off every 2-3 seconds until I unplug it. If I attempt to plug it back in and turn it on, the issue still persists. I generally have to wait 5 minutes before plugging it back in for it to start working again. Then it will run flawless for a day or two, but all of a sudden it just shuts down.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and can lead me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

The only spare parts I have that I can swap out is an R9 290X and a 600W PSU from like 6 years ago (the 980Ti recommends 600W as the minimum...).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Unplug your case's power and reset buttons from the motherboard. You'll need to short the pins with a screwdriver or something to power it on afterwards, but it'll let you test and see if those buttons are the problem.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
What PSU are you using now? Mine did this a few days ago turned out the water i had spilled on my ram during installation (which i cleaned up obviously) dried up and caused some issues.

Try running with one ram stick and see if it boots up, if it does check the ram connections for dirt,crud, wtv. Could be a bad memory stick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott555 View Post

Unplug your case's power and reset buttons from the motherboard. You'll need to short the pins with a screwdriver or something to power it on afterwards, but it'll let you test and see if those buttons are the problem.
I don't think it is the buttons. In my video, where it's powering on and off, it's doing that automatically after it shuts down abruptly. I'm not actually pressing the power button at all.

I don't have a problem powering on the system if I give it enough time to "cool down" or whatever it needs. It just won't power back on immediately as it'll do the loop I posted in the video. I'm thinking it is the power supply (I have a Corsair AX860i) and given this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/48s2m5/discussion_the_corsair_ax760i_psu_and_why_you/ I feel like my issue is very similar, but the thing is I read the 860 as completely different components inside compared to the 760.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
980Ti will run on a 550W power supply no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts