Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Expert pin bender
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/amd-big-navi-specs-leak-promises-more-nvidia-killing-power

AMD Big Navi could be twice as powerful as the Radeon RX 5700 XT, making it a graphics card that could be a serious rival to the rumored Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080.

The Big Navi GPU — now thought to be codenamed Sienna Cichlid — will apparently have 80 compute units (CUs) in its top-end configuration, according to tech leaker Rogame. It was previously thought Big Navi would have 72CUs split into two 36CU clusters.

Rumors and leaks of rumors...

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,351 Posts
Am I reading this right that big Navi will have 64 rops according to this rumor?

Attachments

·
Expert pin bender
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I reading this right that big Navi will have 64 rops according to this rumor?
https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1289239501647171584 is the original source

it appears thats what is said if correct:

Locuza: If one Render-Backend = 4 ROPs then 64 as on Navi10.
Navi10 has 2 Shader Engines and 8 RBs per SE respectivly 32 ROPs per SE.
Navi21 has 4 Shader Engines and 4 RBs per SE, respectivly 16 ROPs per SE.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
I;m buying Big NAVI specifically because it's not NVIDIA.. Unless it beats the 3080 by 20% across the board and comes in at half the price, everybody else is buying the 3080 specifically because it's NVIDIA. I'm sick of NVIDIA proprietary driver updates when the AMD open source drivers are just part of MESA and just as good for games as the proprietary ones.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I;m buying Big NAVI specifically because it's not NVIDIA.. Unless it beats the 3080 by 20% across the board and comes in at half the price, everybody else is buying the 3080 specifically because it's NVIDIA. I'm sick of NVIDIA proprietary driver updates when the AMD open source drivers are just part of MESA and just as good for games as the proprietary ones.
I'm buying both "Big Navi" and "big Berta nVidia", just because I love hardware :D

Going to overclock the s*** out of them both :D

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I thought there was a rumour that said Big Navi wasn't shaping up the way AMD hoped...

·
More Cores!
1,242 Posts
I'll buy big navi to replace my VII, assuming at least a 50% performance gain and decent raytracing performance, and a good mid-range Nvidia card for my VR machine. Everybody wins!

·
Performance is the bible
7,080 Posts
Hehe user name checks out with this comment :p

You won't buy nvidia because you basically claim "i'm not a sheep!".
But you also claim you are a sheep because you jump on the "buy AMD because it is not nvidia" band wagon?

Also AMD drivers are also proprietary.
I guess you mean features, not drivers.
Some of AMD features are just as closed and locked just like nvidia's. AMD are just expecting others to do their work for them (hence why they oped for opengpu which is mostly in the hands of other developers), and that result it less than performing and quality features compared to nvidia's.
It might cost less, but you also get what you pay for, less.

·
Performance is the bible
7,080 Posts
I thought there was a rumour that said Big Navi wasn't shaping up the way AMD hoped...
The same site can have 100 different articles with 100 different opinions on how the big navi is going to be with 100 different leaks stating completely different things.
The rumor mill is on full pedal to the metal to generate as many clicks as humanly possible, and everyone want to say their thing because they all think they are important enough to be heard.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Some of AMD features are just as closed and locked just like nvidia's. AMD are just expecting others to do their work for them (hence why they oped for opengpu which is mostly in the hands of other developers), and that result it less than performing and quality features compared to nvidia's.
AMD's Linux GPU drivers are not binary blob the way nVidia's are.

I suspect he's talking about a Linux system.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,490 Posts
Hehe user name checks out with this comment /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

But you also claim you are a sheep because you jump on the "buy AMD because it is not nvidia" band wagon?

They're referring to Linux, both Radeon(old used for cards with analog outputs) and AMDGPU(new) drivers are open source. Mesa, AMDVLK, ROCK and AMDGPU-PRO(Proprietary) are user space graphics libraries for things like OpenGL and Vulkan.

Nvidia drivers are a pain due to them not being open source. They break with all major kernel updates. If they were open source they would be in the kernel just like the open source Radeon/amdgpu driver.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Hehe user name checks out with this comment :p

If AMD can't fund R&D and the GPU market continues to become less competitive then new GPU prices will continue to climb indefinitely.

Ultimately the strategy that makes the most sense is to publicly support the underdog and drum up a grassroots movement of people "Sticking It To The Man" by buying the less polished competing product... and then buy Nvidia for yourself.

In the end I'm a sentimental lunatic and my next build will be full Team Red.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So many different rumours that you just take everything with a pinch of salt. It would be a lot better if AMD at least announced a release date. If they don't then so many will jump ship to Nvidia in the first few weeks, for no other reason than it is all we have available.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The same site can have 100 different articles with 100 different opinions on how the big navi is going to be with 100 different leaks stating completely different things.
The rumor mill is on full pedal to the metal to generate as many clicks as humanly possible, and everyone want to say their thing because they all think they are important enough to be heard.
Yeap, although I prefer reading all the comments on OCN, ppl make it much juicier here :D
It's a routine now, reading those gems every evening before sleep.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,832 Posts
I expect 3080 Ti > Big Navi > 3080 and I expect none of those cards to be reasonably priced.
Yeah. I don't think you're wrong. Probably exactly how it'll end up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
3080ti>3080>(3070=2080ti=Big Navi)

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Wonder how many will stay team red when they come out with their own $1k+ GPU

1 - 20 of 26 Posts