Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happen after you join Overclock dot net.

Voila!
Materials used: 1 black trash bag, 1 Shop Rite yellow bag, duct tape, and one 2 liter Coca Cola bottle.

Idle temps -

Orthos load temps -

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
my grandparents have that same AC unit o_O
or at least something similar

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskina View Post
Lmao!! I'm guessing that your AS5 problem is over? lol
Correct

Tuniq? What? What's a Tuniq now!!

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcogan10 View Post
h/o doesnt an AC unit create dampness and whatnot?
I always sit with the air blowing in my face. I don't feel any dampness or humidity. Just coldness.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
you should watch out for condensation at those temps. i prefer to just keep my whole room a little cooler

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Wow, do you have a picture of that AC unit from up close? Or maybe a link to where one could buy it?

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
Wow, do you have a picture of that AC unit from up close? Or maybe a link to where one could buy it?

It was probably at BJ's or Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcogan10 View Post
h/o doesnt an AC unit create dampness and whatnot?
Actually the opposite. It blows nearly 100% dry air.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
It's not the air it blows that creates condensation. It's the difference of temperatures of the air hitting the processor and the heat created by the processor.

Just don't come crying if rig ever dies

Also the electric bill will be a wee bit higher!

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
I sense trickery in this thread. 7C? That would mean the air temp is close to 5C. 5C is 40F. Thats cooler than you'll get with an AC unit. Most are limited to 50-60F.

About the condensation, I have to say there will none. It would be extremly hard to get condensation to form. Why? Because of a few reasons:
  • The AC unit, like fishie said, blows out almost completly dry air. When air gets cold, it loses mosture. Ever notice water dripping from under a car in the summer, or on an AC unit? It's water from the air being cooled.
  • You would have to professonally tape and insulate the CPU from the room in order to get the 20-30C temp difference to make condensation form. Since the CPU and the room are being cooled, the CPU will never be more than say 5-8C from the room temp.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
I sense trickery in this thread. 7C? That would mean the air temp is close to 5C. 5C is 40F. Thats cooler than you'll get with an AC unit. Most are limited to 50-60F.

About the condensation, I have to say there will none. It would be extremly hard to get condensation to form. Why? Because of a few reasons:
  • The AC unit, like fishie said, blows out almost completly dry air. When air gets cold, it loses mosture. Ever notice water dripping from under a car in the summer, or on an AC unit? It's water from the air being cooled.
  • You would have to professonally tape and insulate the CPU from the room in order to get the 20-30C temp difference to make condensation form. Since the CPU and the room are being cooled, the CPU will never be more than say 5-8C from the room temp.
I get near ambient temps with my Tuniq, so it's not all that unrealistic. His CPU is lapped too, so that cuts off a few degrees.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

I don't know how to perform trickery in this. My AC limits the air to 62F. I just installed the things and turned it on and got those temps.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin924597 View Post
I get near ambient temps with my Tuniq, so it's not all that unrealistic. His is lapped too.
7C idle is insane. I'm saying the AC unit won't cool that low. Most AC units are made to only drop down to 60F anyways.

7C is 44F, I just don't think that number is correct.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

7C idle is insane. I'm saying the AC unit won't cool that low. Most AC units are made to only drop down to 60F anyways.

7C is 44F, I just don't think that number is correct.
That's air temp. When an object gets cold, doesn't it stay cold for a while? I think when it got cold, the cold air still blew at it and it got cooler.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiDinh View Post
That's air temp. When an object gets cold, doesn't it stay cold for a while? I think when it got cold, the cold air still blew at it and it got cooler.

You can't cool something (using air) below abiment temps without some sort of evaporation.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

You can't cool something (using air) below abiment temps without some sort of evaporation.
I have no idea. -Scratches head

1 - 20 of 39 Posts