Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2014/03/31/2003586905
Quote:
"PC makers hold conservative attitudes about seasonal demand in the second half of the year," TrendForce analyst Avril Wu (吳雅婷) said in a report released last week.

Shipments of desktop computers and laptop computers will shrink 6.6 percent this year to a total 276.7 million units from 296.1 million units last year, Gartner Inc forecast.

Thanks to fewer suppliers after industry consolidation, this year will still be profitable for PC DRAM chipmakers,

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Of Course. As DDR4 makes it's way into the market, DDR3 prices will continue to climb, forcing people to accept that upgrading to DDR4 makes sense.

·
Watercooler
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

Of Course. As DDR4 makes it's way into the market, DDR3 prices will continue to climb, forcing people to accept that upgrading to DDR4 makes sense.
Just like how DDR1 is $30 a GIG!
tongue.gif

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,962 Posts
We really need a couple foundries here stateside to compete with Taiwan and South Korea.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

We really need a couple foundries here stateside to compete with Taiwan and South Korea.
There are semiconductor foundries in the US. They're dramatically more expensive, far too much to compete in the consumer market.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

There are semiconductor foundries in the US. They're dramatically more expensive, far too much to compete in the consumer market.
Imminent defeat starts with the attitude of imminent defeat.

·
Premium Member
9,160 Posts
The big news here is the whole desktop shrink.

I doubt the demand is driven by utility of the desktops. It's just that progress is too damn slow lately. 4 years to even START considering something is useless. It used to be 2 or even 1.

Mobiles it's not like they need upgrading, they are way worse in that front - few need something better than an android that can do youtube - but it's just few people have settled to a phone so they get their first good one.

I suspect in 2-4 years we'll start seeing both the mobile and desktop market on slow sales with the real problem emmerging itself. Shrinking of the transistor stagnation. It's just that the PC got there first.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

At this rate I'll never upgrade and never have a 16+GB rig.
sad-smiley-002.gif
This time last year was a great time to buy. I bought my 32g for $210. Bought 2 sets of THIS KIT last year from Micro Center for $105 each. I paired them up originally with a 3770k, but just recently upgraded to a 4930k. This should hold me over for at least the next 4 years...

Hopefully, DDR4 prices will be descent by then, lol.

§

·
Null
6,332 Posts
The traditional PC market is shrinking, but the tablet/smartphone markets are growing, so obviously a lot of production is shifting to tablets and smartphones. Unfortunately we're paying the price, literally.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Imminent defeat starts with the attitude of imminent defeat.
Wut? He's stating the obvious. If dram is made in the US they have to pay US wages and thus, have more expensive products.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
eventually the dram market will be a duopoly, just like everything else we see- then the real price fixing begins!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

eventually the dram market will be a duopoly, just like everything else we see- then the real price fixing begins!
I, for one, welcome our new RAMverlords? Best stock up, if that ever comes close to happening.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

I, for one, welcome our new RAMverlords? Best stock up, if that ever comes close to happening.
Should have stocked up a year ago, I wish I had. I picked up a couple of 2x2gb kits back then for about 25bucks but I wish I had got more, how was I to know that I would want to badly build a Kaveri sff rig.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
very Old ram price are cheap, at least on second hand market lol, it becomes cheap when nobody want it anymore.
tongue.gif

good thing is I have 8GB ram, it should last long enough b4 I need to upgrade to 16gb.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Got my 8GB (2x4GB) for $49.

That same kit now costs $76

Thank god I don't need any more.
jealoussmiley.gif

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is absurd; they're shooting themselves in both feet because RAM prices are already absurdly high. That's the reason so many people don't want to buy any. It's almost like they're trying to prevent sales.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts