Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got a brand new xbox 360 with HDMI output and its got a 20gb HDD, one of the last gen pros that gave way to the new packages. I finally pulled the trigger on buying one because it was 165$ for a brand new pro package.

im curious now as to what can i do or buy to add on and take care of this thing? i dont want it to red ring as ive gotten halo 3 and gow2 for 20 bucks each, il be playing as much as i can.

i want to know how to keep it cool and if there are any maintenance tips on keeping the xbox 360 live forever, also how do i tell if ive got jasper or falcon chips on?

i felt the back and it blows air out, sounds loud and weak.

thanks guys btw +rep to decent help.

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,050 Posts
Yeah, I would probably give it a good 8-12 inches of space on each side for breathing room.

• Rep+
Reactions: lokster

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If it's no longer under warranty (3 years+ from MFR date) open it up like once or twice a year and make sure the heat sinks aren't clogged with dust.

If it is under warranty, try your best to spray some compressed air in the fans to do the same.

Keep it off the floor and give it space around all the sides for air flow.

When you need to turn your XBOX off. Put it to dashboard first for a minute or two at least so it can cool down gradually with the fans on rather then immediately off.

Don't move your 360 while it's running unless you like rings on your discs.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet, so it has to be lying down, needs enough space, not moved around and quit to dashboard for a minute.

no accessories or anything? i might get an antec laptop cooler and put the xbox on top of it. ive only heard good things about it

+rep to all

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lokster
View Post

sweet, so it has to be lying down, needs enough space, not moved around and quit to dashboard for a minute.

no accessories or anything? i might get an antec laptop cooler and put the xbox on top of it. ive only heard good things about it

+rep to all

You might not want to add any third party cooler's to your Xbox, as it has been proven to sometimes cause the RRoD (red ring of death) instead of preventing it. And yes, all of the above statements are true.

Keep your Xbox in a well ventilated area. This means, dont cram it in a shelf with books and what not ontop and underneath literally flat up against a wall. Give it space, put it on a table or a TV stand (where the VCR/DVD player would usually go). Also, if your 3 year warranty is up (this warranty only covers RRoD and e74 crashes) then yes, open up your case and clean it from time to time. Dust build up is a killer on 360's. As for whether your Xbox is a Jasper or Falcon revision, refer to this thread which is Stickied to the top of the Xbox Forum.

Xbox Console Revisions Information

Considering you have the Pro model, its down between Falcon or Jasper. It is most likely a Jasper since yours is one of the latest ones to be bought. Although, you never know it may still be a Zephyr or maybe even a Xenon (I doubt) because when Microsoft came out with the Console Revisions, they did not replace older models and instead just waited for them to RRoD and for users to send them in. So, big places like Gamestop, EB Games, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc. continued to sell the old consoles. But in the end, the chances of it being a Zephyr or Xenon are slim to none.

As for the noise and air coming out this is 100% normal. The noise is coming from the fans, and obviously the air is the hot air being extrapolated from the Xbox (good thing).

Another good tip is to install games to your HDD. The NXE dashboard enables users to install their games to their Hard Drive for faster load up times, and less noise produced from the info being read off the disc. It is rumoured I believe, that MS is planning on enabling users to use any external HDD's for XBL Downloadable Content such as Arcade Games, demos etc. and for users to write games to the HDD. (Still requires disc to play the game).

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok very sad development, playing gow2 for like 30 minutes then the video goes shows random black pixels, like really bad, but on the dashboard and menus its all solid like no problem, its when im running games it goes all black pixels in certain areas!!! wahhhhh i tested on halo 3 same thing!!!!
very sad i might have to return this one, manufacture date is 2007!

looks like hundreds of tiny black squares going on and off around the screen!!!! i shut it off. im quite disappointed. it only shows up in gaming, but in the menus and the dashboard its ok, no problem,

crap turning it on, i get e74 error!

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok very sad development, playing gow2 for like 30 minutes then the video goes shows random black pixels, like really bad, but on the dashboard and menus its all solid like no problem, its when im running games it goes all black pixels in certain areas!!! wahhhhh i tested on halo 3 same thing!!!!

looks like hundreds of tiny black squares going on and off around the screen!!!! i shut it off. im quite disappointed. it only shows up in gaming, but in the menus and the dashboard its ok, no problem,

yep, return that one fast

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I would be flipping out if I were you. Go back to wherever you bought it from and DEMAND a refund. That's BS in my opinion.

Although, you do have two choices now. You can call MS and explain your problem and they will usually agree to terms to fix it... even though the manufacture date was in 2007, usually they will be moral and consider the purchase date. If this works out, the pros would be that you are getting a brand new Xbox, cons would be having to wait a while and what not..

Your best bet is to go back to the store and blast those sob's.
Get a FULL refund, and never shop there again

Good luck, hope all goes well!
hope this helped.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Quote:

View Post

1) ok i got a brand new xbox 360 with HDMI output and its got a 20gb HDD, one of the last gen pros that gave way to the new packages. I finally pulled the trigger on buying one because it was 165$ for a brand new pro package.

2) im curious now as to what can i do or buy to add on and take care of this thing? i dont want it to red ring as ive gotten halo 3 and gow2 for 20 bucks each, il be playing as much as i can.

3) i want to know how to keep it cool and if there are any maintenance tips on keeping the xbox 360 live forever, also how do i tell if ive got jasper or falcon chips on?

i felt the back and it blows air out, sounds loud and weak.

thanks guys btw +rep to decent help.

I am XBOX (since 2001) and 360 (since 2005) user for 9 years.. I had experinced with Pro system, My two consoles got RODD since 2005.

1) Congrats you got the sweetie XBOX360 system..

2) You can pick the Intercooler at best buy, frys, gamestop. Halo3 and Gow2 are awesome gameplay.. Well you can't predict about your 360 will get RODD for any reasons... but make sure that you take care of 360 very well. I honestly tell you halo 3 and gow2 wont cause your rig's RODD. If you played heavy games such as GTA series, SR series, or Heavy FPS games, your 360 console might has a chance to get RODD. But you use your own judgment.

3) If intercooler is not helpful nor your satisfy with intercooler. Yes I suggest you to get 2x 80mm (2000/3000rpm) fans as mod like this:

YouTube lists: XB360 MODDED 80MM fan

Good luck with your sweetie 360 system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts