Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im trying to plan my next Case mod and have a question.

Drilling and tapping acrylic... What would be the minimum width of a piece you would do it at? assuming M3 tap.

|O|
|O|
|O|
W

What width (W)

Xye

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
So you want a recommendation on the minimum distance from the edge of the panel to the center of the hole?

Also, what thickness of acrylic are you intending to use? I wouldn't go much less than 1/4" (probably 3/16" thick at the very minimum).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was thinking of drilling parrallel to the face of the sheet. so wanted to know what kind of thickness i should get. seems about 10mm is the thickest i can find online.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Oh I see now, I've actually tapped holes into the edge of some 3/4" acrylic; 1/2" should be pretty easy as well. 3/8" might be a bit tricky, but probably doable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
Oh I see now, I've actually tapped holes into the edge of some 3/4" acrylic; 1/2" should be pretty easy as well. 3/8" might be a bit tricky, but probably doable.
I see. I have found some thicker stuff but its getting expensive lol.

How did you drill your hole?

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I used a cordless drill. I started with a small bit and slowly stepped up to the size I needed. I have found that it helps to apply some water a when drilling/tapping; it keeps the holes cleaner with more of a sheen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts