Overclock.net banner

TC Change Proposals: Updated March 2019

4750 Views 91 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Simmons572
Hey everyone, it looks like this thread is seems to be the go-to for suggesting changes to the TC, so I will attempt to keep this up to date as proposals are made.

March 2019

Adding GPU's to the TC:

GPU-O
  • RTX 2080 (already in place)
  • RTX 2070
  • Vega VII

GPU-L
  • RTX 2060
  • GTX 1660 Ti

AMD
  • RX 590

The 2080 Ti, Titan V and Titan RTX seem to be a bit too big for the time being.

Last Ruling, Enacted Fall 2018:
Sup folks. After getting caught up on everything that has transpired over the past several weeks, I would like to propose a re-balance of the TC Categories.

My proposed changes are as follows:

I7/R7
  • 16C/32T - Increased from 6C/12T Cap

GPU-O
  • Titan Xp
  • Titan X(P)
  • 1080 TI
  • Any GPU-L GPU

GPU-L
  • 1070 TI
  • RX Vega 64/56
  • Titan X (Maxell)
  • 980 TI
  • Any nVidia GPU
  • Any AMD GPU

nVidia
  • 780 TI
  • Any nVidia GPU-W GPU

AMD
  • Fury X
  • Fury
  • RX 580
  • RX 480
  • R9 390X
  • Any AMD GPU-W GPU

GPU-W
  • GTX 960
  • GTX 1050 TI
  • GTX 780
  • R9 380X
  • R9 280X
  • RX 560
  • Any Other GPU, ask Editor for Verification

These lists above are just my personal suggestions, and I am willing to make adjustments based on community input.
Please post your comments, suggestions or opinions below :thumb:
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· The Physical Manifestation of Typos
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As for some justification for my category choices:

The top portion here is the current category limits, the average PPD based on the PPD database, and the highest grossing WU's based on the database.
The bottom portion is my proposed change, based on numbers from the database.

By increasing the Upper limit of GPU-O and GPU-L, there will not be as significant of a gap between the 2 categories. I expect there to be an overlap until we can get proper hardware slotted into GPU-O.
AMD remains unchanged, until we can get more info about the Vega 56/64/FE GPUs.
nVidia's upper limit has been raised to match the AMD category. This way teams can remain a bit more competitive cross categories.
GPU-W's upper limit has been raised to match the former nVidia category. This should put PPD close to what 16C/32T CPU's can put out these days.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I can get some Vega 64 numbers posted later this week. I'm retiring a Vega 64 from my testing server, and moving it into my main machine later in the week. Most of the numbers will be in Linux, but I could run it in Windows for a bit before I swap it into my main rig.

On the subject of the new category limits, what you have there looks good so far. I especially like the idea of bumping up the CPU categories. Even though CPU folding is not what it once was, we may be able to snag a few more people with cores to spare, now that high thread count CPUs are becoming more prevalent.

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get some Vega 64 numbers posted later this week. I'm retiring a Vega 64 from my testing server, and moving it into my main machine later in the week. Most of the numbers will be in Linux, but I could run it in Windows for a bit before I swap it into my main rig.

On the subject of the new category limits, what you have there looks good so far. I especially like the idea of bumping up the CPU categories. Even though CPU folding is not what it once was, we may be able to snag a few more people with cores to spare, now that high thread count CPUs are becoming more prevalent.
Thanks for the input bud. And Vega 64 numbers would be great to have, that should give us a good idea about where Vega 56 performs as well.

1050/1050Ti cards are common. I'm guessing GPU-W? Might want to just find a spot for the last 2 generations of AMD/NV cards. Vega/Polaris and Pascal/Maxwell.
The 1050 ti looks like it sits at 193k PPD on average. That would be just above the 780. I think it makes sense, so I will add it to the list :)

I believe we have covered the spectrum of Pascal here. Once we get some info about the Vega GPUs, I was considering putting Vega at the top end of the AMD category, which would mean making the 980ti the top end of the nVidia category. I think that could definitely work, but we will need more info first.

Thanks for the input folks!

· Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Question: why the 16C/32T limit in the i7 category? That limits X299 users to the 7960X; they can’t use the 7980XE and its 18 cores. Both of them will likely have enough thermal issues that the 12.5% extra cores on the 7980XE won’t be close to 12.5% higher PPD.

Admittedly I’m not familiar with either CPU’s folding performance, but I am familiar with the abysmal thermal limitations. A 7960X due to its reduced core count and therefore power consumption ought to hit somewhat higher clockspeeds than a 7980XE and reach similar performance.

If you’re worried about paying to win, just remember that there’s a $1000 difference between a 7980XE and 2950X. That’s a lot of extra money to be thrown at a cooling system.

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the past it has usually been OK to use higher core count CPUs, as long as the the folding was limited to the maximum number of allowed threads with the client.
Basically this. By setting the limit at 16C/32T, people will be able to use basically whatever CPU they want in this day and age, and if they have a CPU that has more cores, just limit it to the 16C/32T requirement.

· unRAID Enthusiast
3,553 Posts
I'll cast my vote to agree with all of this, it all looks good to me. Also, maybe shaking things up a bit will bring more people into the Fold (pun very much intended!).

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the biggest pain for all of this is getting hardware shuffled around, so once we get some more input, we can decide on a date to put forth the change, and I can work with the editors to ensure a smoov transition :D

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that Titan X Pascal... Or Titan Xp? I'll join the party again if one of my Titan Xp can come and play.
My apologies, that is the titan X(P). My concern with the Xp is that we don't have a lot of info in the database right now to determine performance. Between the 2 WU's that were submitted, it looks like it averages about 1.8m PPD, but I am not sure if that is accurate.

· Water-cooler
1,762 Posts
Well I can start posting up numbers. I can tell you in Windows 10 with a heafty OC I am only averaging about 2.6 million between two cards. Some times more some times less depending on WUs. That's also at PCIE 8x each since I'm only on a Z97 board. I'm sure my CPU is also limiting scores a little since Broadwell C doesn't clock very high.

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be greatly appreciated. If the numbers are close to the X(P), then I see no reason in omitting it from the category.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
First, NBrock I hope you can come back to my party and maybe we can get this team rolling again!
I agree with this TC rebalancing.

· Daisy Chained Dumb Switch
1,226 Posts
I agree with the rebalance. doesn't actually look like much REALLY changed which is good. Side note: Hefty warning that CPU folding just isn't worth it anymore and anyone that wants to participate should be aware of the heat and power generated to be competitive just plainly will be bad for the silicon over time. MAYBE a new category that is verified undervolted underclocked CPUs? Something like that? I just think that would be fun to do in some way but I'm not sure how to implement it. Maybe it would attract people with higher core count CPUs who are scared to damage things or loose the high end of their overclock from folding 24/7.

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The PPD database was just udpated last night. Thanks for submitting WU's folks :thumb:

Looks like numbers are staying roughly the same, with the Titan Xp's PPD still sitting only slightly above the X(P). I would like to see a few more WU's submitted, but with these numbers, we should be able to add it to the GPU-O category.

Also, I am still looking forward to seeing some Vega WU's submitted :)

Keep on keeping on folks :thumb:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.