Overclock.net banner

TC Change Proposals: Updated March 2019

4750 Views 91 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Simmons572
Hey everyone, it looks like this thread is seems to be the go-to for suggesting changes to the TC, so I will attempt to keep this up to date as proposals are made.

March 2019

Adding GPU's to the TC:

GPU-O
  • RTX 2080 (already in place)
  • RTX 2070
  • Vega VII

GPU-L
  • RTX 2060
  • GTX 1660 Ti

AMD
  • RX 590

The 2080 Ti, Titan V and Titan RTX seem to be a bit too big for the time being.

Last Ruling, Enacted Fall 2018:
Sup folks. After getting caught up on everything that has transpired over the past several weeks, I would like to propose a re-balance of the TC Categories.

My proposed changes are as follows:

I7/R7
  • 16C/32T - Increased from 6C/12T Cap

GPU-O
  • Titan Xp
  • Titan X(P)
  • 1080 TI
  • Any GPU-L GPU

GPU-L
  • 1070 TI
  • RX Vega 64/56
  • Titan X (Maxell)
  • 980 TI
  • Any nVidia GPU
  • Any AMD GPU

nVidia
  • 780 TI
  • Any nVidia GPU-W GPU

AMD
  • Fury X
  • Fury
  • RX 580
  • RX 480
  • R9 390X
  • Any AMD GPU-W GPU

GPU-W
  • GTX 960
  • GTX 1050 TI
  • GTX 780
  • R9 380X
  • R9 280X
  • RX 560
  • Any Other GPU, ask Editor for Verification

These lists above are just my personal suggestions, and I am willing to make adjustments based on community input.
Please post your comments, suggestions or opinions below :thumb:
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

· The Physical Manifestation of Typos
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The 2070 will be in which category? It's listed as both.
I need a RAM upgrade for my brain.... :arrowhead

I believe it belongs in GPU-O, probably a bit overpowered for GPU-L.

If you guys have different suggestions, please let me know!

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I believe the 2070 will have a similar PPD as the 1080 Ti.
I’m also guessing the 1660 Ti will be similar to the 1070 Ti.

It looks good to me!

· Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Those look good to me as well.

What sort of PPD does the 1660 Ti put out?

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I was comparing the 1070 Ti and 1660 Ti using these images but I don't know what the PPD would be.

Attachments

· Banned
12,004 Posts
2080 Ti, Titan V and Titan RTX seem to be a bit too big for the time being.

Last Ruling, Enacted Fall 2018:
May I ask what you mean by the components being "a bit too big"?

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
May I ask what you mean by the components being "a bit too big"?
Historically, we have typically omitted the "best of the best" cards from the TC, until a newer generation of GPUs with equivalent performance are released.

As of right now, according to the PPD database, the Titan V and 2080 Ti have about 2.2-2.4 million PPD. As compared to the 2080 and Titan X(P)'s which are closer to 1.2-1.5 million PPD.
The barrier to entry for GPU-O is already fairly expensive, and this limit will keep things more balanced until prices come down.

· Banned
12,004 Posts
Historically, we have typically omitted the "best of the best" cards from the TC, until a newer generation of GPUs with equivalent performance are released.

As of right now, according to the PPD database, the Titan V and 2080 Ti have about 2.2-2.4 million PPD. As compared to the 2080 and Titan X(P)'s which are closer to 1.2-1.5 million PPD.
The barrier to entry for GPU-O is already fairly expensive, and this limit will keep things more balanced until prices come down.
Thanks for the answer, it does make sense. However think even the most expensive should be included. This is a forum with many an enthusiast after all ;)

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Thanks for the answer, it does make sense. However think even the most expensive should be included. This is a forum with many an enthusiast after all ;)
This is the Folding Team Competition forum. We can't even get enough of the 2080s to join. Having just 1 single Ti or Titan version of a card greatly imbalances the entire category and there would be even fewer members wanting to dedicate that card to at least 20/7 folding. One of those extreme cards would have such a lead the only way for the 'TEAM' to win would be to have that card and the rest wouldn't be needed.

6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
This is the Folding Team Competition forum. We can't even get enough of the 2080s to join. Having just 1 single Ti or Titan version of a card greatly imbalances the entire category and there would be even fewer members wanting to dedicate that card to at least 20/7 folding. One of those extreme cards would have such a lead the only way for the 'TEAM' to win would be to have that card and the rest wouldn't be needed.
Agreed. Also, one of the interesting aspects of the TC has been optimizing hardware that is a bit older to maximize PPD output, despite it being a couple generations old. Granted, if we had more interest, we may consider using bigger cards.

That being said @go4life, if you have hardware you're willing to fold with, we can get you assigned to the TC ;)

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.