Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Some excited rooters at the XDA Dev Forum tried to root the G2 â€" namely to unlock the software so they can add their own programs and control the OS â€" only to find that there is a built-in lock in the G2 hardware that returns the handset to the stock state upon rooting. That’s right: it’s a self-repairing system, like grey goo.

Source

Maybe now people will believe me when I tell them certain restrictions on the iPhone (as well as any other phone) are because the carrier demands them.

·
Banned
2,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grafixs View Post
Source

Maybe now people will believe me when I tell them certain restrictions on the iPhone (as well as any other phone) are because the carrier demands them.
Ha! More like they just so happen to suit the carriers.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
haha... this.

and wasnt android marketed as being the more open OS?
didnt quite work out like that.
Sure, it's so open that the carrier can decide whether to close it off or not

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Is there a way to fool the hardware so it doesn't know the OS has been rooted? Seems like there is probably a way around this.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
People who say "And Androids meant to be open!" It is still more open than iOS before rooting, iOS starts to come close after jailbreaking.

Eugh, they've lost a sale here of the G2 even if this is gotten past.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Is there a way to fool the hardware so it doesn't know the OS has been rooted? Seems like there is probably a way around this.
I think chances are they are going to try and replace files in the protection system. So then it goes, hurr this is rooted, needz to repairz, and then essentially cracks itself

Although if the protection is hardware based then this is unfeasible, but if it was hardware based how would they ever roll out firmware updates

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121 View Post
Sure, it's so open that the carrier can decide whether to close it off or not

well played.

this is XDA-though - give it time.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wow. I was actually going to pick one of these up this weekend. Guess I better hold off and see. Nice to see carriers mucking things up as usual. Although if I have to wait too long, there might be a WP7 device in my future instead. Android is fun and has received a lot of attention from XDA, but we'll see what happens when we get a new OS on the block.

·
Banned
2,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Odds are good that the workaround for this will involve replacing the back-up OS then fooling the phone into restoring from the rooted back up.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
i knew in one of the newer phones (and had a huge hunch it would be the G2, but seeing as how it was replacing the g1 and the g1's legacy, i had a bit of warranted lenience) that both the hardware manufacturer AND the carrier would reverse engineer (lol) the rooting exploits to make it really hard to gain root again. Seems this time has come.

EDIT: I knew it wasn't going to be a smooth launch (at least from a dev/modding standpoint).

·
Registered
469 Posts
If no one gave the people that develop the cracks challenges, then they would just grow bored and stop so I see this as a good thing. And/or they would never get better at cracking so when the really good countermeasures came out they would be clueless.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
Odds are good that the workaround for this will involve replacing the back-up OS then fooling the phone into restoring from the rooted back up.
Agreed, I can't see this holding the devs back too long

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
There are some "smart" people workin on it. so give it a little while. It will be running CM6 in video's on Youtube within a week or 2 most likely.

the entire CM6 and TD team is working on it. Cyanogen himself has the phone and will watch over it's ROM's just like he does the N1

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Why do manufacturers even bother with implementing extra software "protection"? Just make it clear your warranty is void if you root if you don't feel like supporting root. Don't try to stop people from doing what they want with THEIR hardware.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Wait, so this is happening to Android 2 right?

That means Galaxy S phones shipped out BEFORE the update can choose whether to update the OS or not right?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts