Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Announced last week before CES 2011, HP's updated Pavilion dm1z 11.6-inch laptop, which makes use of AMD's Brazos platform, can now be found and pre-ordered on HP.com, with first shipments being expected for January 24th.

The new, Fusion machine is under an inch in thickness and has an LED-backlit (1366 x 768) BrightView display, an E-350 APU (two 1.6 GHz cores, Radeon HD 6310 graphics), up to 8GB of RAM, up to a 750GB HDD or a 128GB SSD, a webcam, 802.11n. Bluetooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Altec Lansing speakers, a multi-card reader, and a 6-cell battery (up to 9.5 hours battery life).

The 2011 Pavilion dm1z runs Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional (only 64bit) and starts at $450
Source

hppaviliondm104.jpg

I'm particularly very interested in the AMD Mobile Versions of their new CPU..

I'm dying to see some reviews on some of these new Netbooks & Laptops.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjminer;11997494
Looks pretty nice... I wonder if the motherboard can support larger SSDs, though.
It supports a standard 2.5" drive....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

It supports a standard 2.5" drive....

I didn't mean 3.5" drives, I meant larger capacity :O

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Did I just see "up to 8GB of RAM"
O mai, that's gotta be a new record for an ultraportable

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjminer
View Post

Of course it can--as much as any other windows 7 based system...

I'm very excited to hear some actual, hands-on reviews for the brazos platform.

It's interesting--I wonder why AMD decided to release brazos before the desktop Bobcat platform, in the meantime Intel has done nearly the opposite--release bulldozer to the desktop arena without addressing the portable/ultraportable. Coincidence, or intelligent choice?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It's nice to see that HP is really starting to push out more AMD products. At a local retail store I was in, about 2 thirds of their HP computers either had and AMD X2, X4 or mobile processor in it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche
View Post

Of course it can--as much as any other windows 7 based system...

Sure, but Windows is not the factor here--the limitations HP builds into their motherboard is what I'm questioning. For all we know, HP could have hardware detection mechanism built into its BIOS that forces SSD / unknown firmware HDDs over some sort of Frankensteined 28-bit controller to artificially limit the maximum size to ~128GB, and only select hard drives have access to the 48-bit component. Don't underestimate what restrictions laptop manufacturers build into their motherboards to force you to buy specific hardware directly from them, or limit your future upgrade options to force eventual new machine purchases.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Of course, why wouldn't it? Maybe not 2TB+ but good luck finding a 3TB 2.5" SSD for under the cost of the stimulus packages.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Sure, but Windows is not the factor here--the limitations HP builds into their motherboard is what I'm questioning. For all we know, HP could have hardware detection mechanism built into its BIOS that forces SSD / unknown firmware HDDs over some sort of Frankensteined 28-bit controller to artificially limit the maximum size to ~128GB, and only select hard drives have access to the 48-bit component. Don't underestimate what restrictions laptop manufacturers build into their motherboards to force you to buy specific hardware directly from them, or limit your future upgrade options to force eventual new machine purchases.

That doesn't even make any sense, and is not even remotely probable...Besides, HP doesn't make the motherboards, and it's entirely improbably that their OEM supplier will do that for a small sub-section of HP laptop motherboards if no other customer is doing something like that--it wouldn't make business sense (not that it makes sense otherwise either).

Besides, how does the width/bits of a hypothetical frankensteined drive controller limit the absolute size of the disk that the computer/OS will support?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche
View Post

That doesn't even make any sense, and is not even remotely probable...Besides, HP doesn't make the motherboards, and it's entirely improbably that their OEM supplier will do that for a small sub-section of HP laptop motherboards if no other customer is doing something like that--it wouldn't make business sense (not that it makes sense otherwise either).

I like how you use "probable" and not "possible." I'm presuming you chose such words in order to avoid disagreement if one of my wholly and utterly possible scenarios pans out. I think we all know there's no limit to the length a corporation will go to in order to attempt to gain future revenue from consumers. Perhaps you are capable of explaining why they would only offer SSDs up to 128 GB when they could easily generate additional revenue from offering higher-volume SSDs, though? Is it that they don't think that they will sell enough larger drives due to pricing concerns? Maybe their current BIOS detection will not detect drives with newer controllers on them? Or, perhaps, they've created my aforementioned Frankensteined motherboard? The truth is you don't know and you can't know until more information becomes available, leaving my question entirely valid, and your dismissal illogical.

Quote:

Besides, how does the width/bits of a hypothetical frankensteined drive controller limit the absolute size of the disk that the computer/OS will support?

Because, IIRC, an 28-bit HD controller imposes a hardware limitation of approximately 128 GB of useable space (though this may be 137 GB, I can't recall exactly... I think the interpretation of numbers varies based off HD / computer manufacturers interpretation of the storage units).
--

Also, take a look at the screens when your PC boots up and you'll see various manufacturer/size information about drives being loaded. If you think manufacturers do not have the capability or resources to restrict the hardware present in the machine by using this information, either, you are mistaken.

Am I saying this is a certainty? No. Am I saying it's a possibility for which no answer is yet capable of being discerned? Yes. Hence, I am left with the question of whether SSDs with a capacity greater than 128GB will be supported.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I like how you use "probable" and not "possible." I'm presuming you chose such words in order to avoid disagreement if one of my wholly and utterly possible scenarios pans out. I think we all know there's no limit to the length a corporation will go to in order to attempt to gain future revenue from consumers. Perhaps you are capable of explaining why they would only offer SSDs up to 128 GB when they could easily generate additional revenue from offering higher-volume SSDs, though? Is it that they don't think that they will sell enough larger drives due to pricing concerns? Maybe their current BIOS detection will not detect drives with newer controllers on them? Or, perhaps, they've created my aforementioned Frankensteined motherboard? The truth is you don't know and you can't know until more information becomes available, leaving my question entirely valid, and your dismissal illogical.

Because, IIRC, an 28-bit HD controller imposes a hardware limitation of approximately 128 GB of useable space (though this may be 137 GB, I can't recall exactly... I think the interpretation of numbers varies based off HD / computer manufacturers interpretation of the storage units).
--

Also, take a look at the screens when your PC boots up and you'll see various manufacturer/size information about drives being loaded. If you think manufacturers do not have the capability or resources to restrict the hardware present in the machine by using this information, either, you are mistaken.

Am I saying this is a certainty? No. Am I saying it's a possibility for which no answer is yet capable of being discerned? Yes. Hence, I am left with the question of whether SSDs with a capacity greater than 128GB will be supported.

I just don't see how it could only support a 128gb ssd if it can support a 750gb hdd...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You ask a very good question actually, we (I say we due to I work for HP "technically") used to have an issue with some of our older notebooks (3-4+ years old) having issues recognizing SATA drives over 500GB but from what I remember it was a controller issue and at the time most of the drives coming out were only in the 80-160GB range.

We haven't had any issues like that since then.

Edit: Computer manufacturers don't make the components, the same parts you find in an HP you'll find in other manufacturers as well alot of the time.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I already have mine ordered, with the $25 off coupon this is a steal, plus there's 3 great reviews and it scored editors choice on all 3.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6018&review=hp+pavilion+dm1
http://computershopper.com/laptops/r...tertainment-pc
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...#axzz1ApoNs9oo

btw the coupon is:

slickdeals25

and with 3 gigs of RAM and a 320GB 7200RPM hard drive with a 6 cell battery, bluetooth, N support, its a steal for the tag of $425 (before taxes)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Ok i read braz....zers, is there something wrong with me?

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
HP has being putting out gream AMD based products for a while now. This is a good thing. It offers some distinction amongst the market.
Personally, my main computer is now an HP DV-7 w/ a 3-core AMD @ 2.1ghz, 17" screen, and a mobility HD5650
It's a great combo. I dont have any problem playing BC2, L4D2, MW2, etc on it.
It even allowed me to add a second hard drive so I'm running a 128GB Corsair SSD and the stock 500gb 7300RPM drive..

plus.. at 5-hours of battery life, I couldnt be happier for the $650 price tag.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Now something like this, but with a 14in screen similar to the Envy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts