Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Microsoft Business Division president Stephen Elop stated at the Stanley Morgan Technology Conference that Microsoft Office 14 will be released with ad support.

Office 14 is expected to be released in 2010, and Microsoft's reasoning for adding ads to the suite is to "draw pirate customers into the revenue stream." Obviously Microsoft has some of the most pirated software in the world and it only makes sense that they wish to recoup some of the lost revenue from pirates.

Ultimately this could drive down the overall cost of the product in the first place, as well as provide an alternative revenue stream for the company.

Microsoft has projected that it has lost more money from pirates than "free competitors" such as Google's Applications, and OpenOffice.
Source
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,163 Posts
Hmmm... I doubt they'll go through with it. Either that, or the ads will be hardly noticeable, maybe on the splash screen when you load an app. Otherwise, a lot of people will probably stop using Office. I'm sure businesses don't want to buy software with ads in it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Du-z View Post
they better be cheaper then. Im not paying $350 for the full version with ads!
I would for 350(if I actually bought office) being that the ful version is roughly about 675 dollars. Office Ultimate I meant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Eyeballing it, the small office of 4 engineers I work in has an average of 4.7 spreadsheets open (4 on display) at any time. We make a lot of money, and one of the 4 of us has any sort of savings. If you could advertise straight to our domes 9-10 hours a day... Office might as well be freeware. It might cost $19.99 for the suite.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,703 Posts
They charge far too much and it gets pirated because of that. The solution is a cheaper product, not one loaded with ads. I won't buy that and I'll wager most other people would rather pirate a non-ad version than buy the damn thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
And then the pirates just disable the ads in the crack. Now you have regular customers watching lame and obnoxious ads while pirates are in the clear. I'd bet they will also have ads directed specifically at customers, so you know there will be data gathering done by the OS or the Office Suite to enhance ad effectiveness.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kryten
View Post

They charge far too much and it gets pirated because of that. The solution is a cheaper product, not one loaded with ads. I won't buy that and I'll wager most other people would rather pirate a non-ad version than buy the damn thing.

I always see the fallacy in the argument of if it was cheaper people would buy it. Chances are if your getting it for free now, and you can get it for free in the future regardless of price, whats going to make you say"oh wow it was 600 dollar and now its 300 dollars, I should go buy it even though I know I can get it for free and save the 300 for something else"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,703 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gex80
View Post

I always see the fallacy in the argument of if it was cheaper people would buy it. Chances are if your getting it for free now, and you can get it for free in the future regardless of price, whats going to make you say"oh wow it was 600 dollar and now its 300 dollars, I should go buy it even though I know I can get it for free and save the 300 for something else"

Yeah, there's obvious fallacy in that arguement because no-one is going to pay $300, either. It's not worth anything more than $30 and that's the point. It gets pirated to hell and back because it's price is obscene.

I don't think there is a home user in existance that actually bought and paid for Office. It's only businesses that can't risk getting sued that buys this crap.

Me, I'm lucky in that I don't have to bother with Office at all, ever, and if anyone askes me I forward them to OpenOffice.org.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by desidero
View Post

and then the pirates just disable the ads in the crack. Now you have regular customers watching lame and obnoxious ads while pirates are in the clear. I'd bet they will also have ads directed specifically at customers, so you know there will be data gathering done by the os or the office suite to enhance ad effectiveness.

qft
 

·
Starting to become a BOFH
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

So its ok to pirate your products?

THANKS MICROSOFT!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
The argument is VERY true that if they lowered prices they would sell more. If Office was $30 I certainly would have bought a copy. Just because I can get it for free doesn't mean that is what I want to do. But I will not be paying Microsoft $100+ for office. That is completely insane.

In all honesty, they would make more money with the higer prices that they have currently. Businesses have to buy the full copy, just because it costs a ton doesn't mean they won't buy it. Open office has serious limitations once you start talking about business use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,742 Posts
i think it is wrong to charge so much for the office suite and yet still have ads.
i think ads in game is fine for multiplayer, as that keeps the multiplayer development going of your game, and you're not spending 100-200 dollars on the game.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Not like Office 14 would even be used until 2014.

Most people I know (and businesses) are using older versions of Office...
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top