Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

So what do you get the Geek who has everything? Normally I would say a date with a real girl but barring that I would say that a 49 port USB hub would about cover it.
Yes, you read right. There actually is a USB hub with a full 49 ports on it. The device is being made by Cambrionix and is selling under the inspired name of "49 Port Professional USB Hub." And can be picked up for around $650 US dollars.
It is actually being marketed as a development and testing hub (which makes sense really) and appears to be a useful tool for mass testing of USB flash drives.
For the consumer or super geek this is perfect for all those USB keys you might have laying around. You will need a full ATX-2 Power supply to make everything work. But you will be the envy of all the other geeks on your block.

Source

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Wow, this is pure uselessness. Though I can understand from a business perspective, it could prove useful for them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

Why not have a separate "power brick" like a laptop does so you are not draining the 5v line on a standard PSU?

Agreed. But for some reason I fail to see the exact application of this... Readyboost times 49? 49 Page files? 49 USB Thumbdrives in a pc, 49 Thumbdrives of data, you take one out, pass it around...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spidermohmd1
View Post

I wonder If u Can make Raid Between all Of These Connections

It's USB... Software raid at best? Possibly bottlenecked?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallocs
View Post

It's USB... Software raid at best? It would possibly be comparable to an IDE HDD if you assume ~1-2MBPS read/write per flash drive. (If that was were you were going with this.)

what about 49 of these

20 MBps read and 10 MBps write

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spidermohmd1 View Post
what about 49 of these

20 MBps read and 10 MBps write
256GB? That would be so ridiculously priced that it would be nothing more than a waste. You could buy multiple SSD's and use them in a Raid 0, Raid 10 or Raid 5 for better performance for a lower price than 49 of those flash drives would cost.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallocs View Post
256GB? That would be so ridiculously priced that it would be nothing more than a waste. You could buy multiple SSD's and use them in a Raid 0, Raid 10 or Raid 5 for better performance for a lower price than 49 of those flash drives would cost.
it is priced at 700euros

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
for some odd reason, i get the urge to just step on it

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
$650 why?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Finally... something to put in all my peripherals and accessories.

Like my 30 USB fans!

/end sarcasm

·
Fan Man
1,291 Posts
This is targeted at the exact same market of that $1000 256GB pen drive which, I'd like to point out, is not the "GEEK" community but the people impressed by big figures. Geeks are geeks because they know a thing or two...and one of those two things is that the USB bandwith is shared between all connections. So yeah, you wouldn't live long enough to do a transfer with that thing...

Unless you use one USB controller per each USB port...which is of course extremely cost ineffective and a DIY job because no motherboard has so many USB controllers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1
View Post

that would still max out the bandwidth of the primary usb port when only using 2 of them

Corrected

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have to say, it seems to have become fashionable to either 1) not think before posting, or just 2) to bash every piece of technology regardless of intended purpose.

Quite frankly, the source kind of missed the potential usefulness of this product, as have many of the previous posts. At my job last summer, there was a project in place wherein every company-issued USB flash drive (and any personal ones requested) were having the contents encrypted with some proprietary program. The process would have been greatly sped up has we been able to do this many at once!

Also, usb keys being used for authentication, or basically anything that would need some amount of data transferred to them en masse on a regular basis would benefit from something like this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts