Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SOURCE

Quote:

The mammoth single card dual GPU has been spotted online, and for now, the revealed specs simply indicate that it will consist of two Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 GPU (GF110) cores linked together by a bridging chip, along with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM.
Not much else is known so far, except for the fact that it looks like it will support three DVI outputs, allowing it to support up to three displays, unlike other current Nvidia cards, which allow for a maximum of two displays at a time. The GeForce GTX 595 will supposedly release sometime in early 2011, taking the Radeon HD 6990 head on.

TOASTER

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Strawberry~
View Post

My ass 2x 580's.

It will need a separate psu to power it lol.

Well, if the rumors about the TDP of the 6970 are true (<300W), AMD could be running into the same problem. Perhaps this was one of the factors that caused the delay?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Strawberry~
View Post

My ass 2x 580's.

It will need a separate psu to power it lol.

Quote:

There's also space for two eight-pin PCIe power-connectors, but its no surprise that a card like this would need an awful lot of power.

SOURCE

plus

Quote:

It's even possible that these aren't GF110 chips at all, but more practical GF114s.

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
I call BS on the 2 580's. Maybe 2 560's that haven't been announced yet or something but 2 580's? Umm no I just don't see it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain318
View Post

I call BS on the 2 580's. Maybe 2 560's that haven't been announced yet or something but 2 580's? Umm no I just don't see it.

Considering that...

- they limit the power consumption of these new chips
- they cherry pick them
- the high cost will mean they wouldn't need to produce too many

...I suppose its possible.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts

I'll no longer be surprised at how much consumption these do since both companies are doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razi3l
View Post

Most likely GF114, aka a fully enabled GF104 (i bet they rename to attract more attention :\\). Either way hopefully performance is good but if Antilles is 2x 6970s i doubt it will be faster.

No dice. GF104's are rectangular. Those above are square. SQUARE.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
^yea man that sucks.
@OT: Nowhere does it say they are GF110 and you can't even read what's on the chips, and this is just a prototype, just like the dual 470s by Galaxy, but these will probably cost more than 2 single cars i bet, no thanks :\\

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timAHH
View Post

Well, if the rumors about the TDP of the 6970 are true (<300W), AMD could be running into the same problem. Perhaps this was one of the factors that caused the delay?

The 6970 having a TDP UNDER 300W is fine... Under 300W could be 220W, or 230W or anything, simply saying <300W is no reason to assume its close to 300W.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Speaking from experience:

Dual-GPU cards suck. Sure they have tons of power, but the cons far outweigh the pros.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryand
View Post

The 6970 having a TDP UNDER 300W is fine... Under 300W could be 220W, or 230W or anything, simply saying <300W is no reason to assume its close to 300W.

The rumor was that the 6970 had a TDP of 300w and had heat issues as well.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101019/amd-...6970-tdp-300w/

It was all implied when he mentioned the rumor, but it wasn't explained well

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryand
View Post

Besides, insider word has it that the 6900 cards were delayed to to a parts shortage. There was a post on XBit a week or so ago about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.