Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aye guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my overclock. I just today reflashed my cards BIOS because I was having severe issues with overclocking. I bought the card, it started doing +100MHz full stable, then over the course of a year, it's gone down to +18MHz on core. After flashing, I've finally after a while been able to get the card back up to its peak (+100MHz core, +550MHz mem). All voltage sliders are maxed out and the power limit is @ 114% all within afterburner. My only trouble, is that now at these clocks, I'm getting TDP throttling. It fluctuates quite substantially from about 1.3GHz core boost down to like 1.25GHz. It's kinda frustrating and I'm having difficulties finding a fix.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
What drivers are you using?

With my 670FTW, which is running a modded 1.212v BIOS, I was having tremendous difficulty with the card when on the 32x.xx drivers. The biggest problem was that I would get these sudden, very short (time) but extremely big power spikes, from my normal 90-103 percent up to 280-395 percent, crashing whatever program or game.
Prior to installing the 320.xx drivers, my card was completely stable at 1403Mhz core and 7488mem, and bench stable at 1484core/7548mem+.
Now, back on the 314.22 drivers, and with a fresh Windows install, I can't get above around 1320core/7100mem without crashing, even for benching.

The FTW cards have the 680 PCB and the power percentage limit is 145%. I don't know if it's possible, but perhaps a modified FTW BIOS would work?

OOtherwise, try drivers. 314.22

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

What drivers are you using?

With my 670FTW, which is running a modded 1.212v BIOS, I was having tremendous difficulty with the card when on the 32x.xx drivers. The biggest problem was that I would get these sudden, very short (time) but extremely big power spikes, from my normal 90-103 percent up to 280-395 percent, crashing whatever program or game.
Prior to installing the 320.xx drivers, my card was completely stable at 1403Mhz core and 7488mem, and bench stable at 1484core/7548mem+.
Now, back on the 314.22 drivers, and with a fresh Windows install, I can't get above around 1320core/7100mem without crashing, even for benching.

The FTW cards have the 680 PCB and the power percentage limit is 145%. I don't know if it's possible, but perhaps a modified FTW BIOS would work?

OOtherwise, try drivers. 314.22
Try reflashing your VGA BIOS, and check the lists from TechPowerUp or the EVGA for a download of the latest or greatest BIOS update. I was in the same boat as you yesterday, but a reflash has given me my clocks back at least.

I'll try the 314.22 drivers and see how it pans out. I'm currently editing BIOS roms with the Kepler BIOS editor. Every time I would raise the power limit, even to 140%, it would go even then before and surpass the limit, as it did with the 114% limit. Is the 1.212v BIOS difficult to arrange? Any damage caused by it? If I can get the TDP throttle under control, I might give it a go.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
From memory there's something weird with your cards vBIOS. Few people were having the problem you mentioned even after modding it to increase TDP - their fix was to flash another vBIOS on it from another card but I can't remember which one anymore.

You could try and search it in the modding thread, I remember people posting it there somewhere.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

From memory there's something weird with your cards vBIOS. Few people were having the problem you mentioned even after modding it to increase TDP - their fix was to flash another vBIOS on it from another card but I can't remember which one anymore.

You could try and search it in the modding thread, I remember people posting it there somewhere.
Yeah, same here. I increased the power limit within the Kepler editor up from 114%, to 124%, to 140%. It seems that my card is using a lot less power now on 314 drivers, so I might give it another go and check it out. I report people saying though, that GTX 670s actually limit @ 114% no matter what you set it at in the vBIOS.

Just got afterburner to finally display voltage...
http://gyazo.com/fc9ade10b7a4a0409ce8ea743bfbb481
What's with the fluctuation? Should be a constant 1.175volts?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I remember now.. look for the modded galaxy vBIOS (or get one yourself and mod it), that's how they solved their throttling problems.

The percentages don't really mean anything as they differ per card. 100% on one card is different on another, take the stock EVGA 670s they come out 122% but that's only ~173W etc.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

I remember now.. look for the modded galaxy vBIOS (or get one yourself and mod it), that's how they solved their throttling problems.

The percentages don't really mean anything as they differ per card. 100% on one card is different on another, take the stock EVGA 670s they come out 122% but that's only ~173W etc.
Thanks a lot mate. I'll check it out and report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts