Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you guys have seen this...thought I'd share it with you. Long story short, somebody there was hacking people's systems with a torrent file and using their machines to fold for them. Pande Group gave them a 102 million point smackdown. Behold the 102 mil pimp hand.

source 1

source 2

Let me know if this is a repost...I couldn't find anything on it here.
LL

·
Matisse
3,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterboy View Post
Don't know if any of you guys have seen this...thought I'd share it with you. Long story short, somebody there was hacking people's systems with a torrent file and using their machines to fold for them. Pande Group gave them a 102 million point smackdown. Behold the 102 mil pimp hand.

source 1

source 2

Let me know if this is a repost...I couldn't find anything on it here.
Hahahahaha.

Nice find. Thats actually a good way to get more points....

But its dishonest.

·
Super Moderator
23,740 Posts
"Pimp hand"

That's got to hurt... Think about all of the honest folders..

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boydyboyd View Post
i read some of the TPU thread and this is a good idea actually.

Steal a game...fold for the cause. Just make it fold for team "anonymous" so it's all good.
I don't know about a good idea... Do this to the wrong person and you'll be seeing some jail time. It's unethical and illegal, neither of those seem like "good ideas" to me.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I partially agree with the "robin-hood" theory.. its just morally dissapointing to hear that someone would do this..especially with the folding comp going on now for 5mil.. [no doubt their motivation]. Good thing Stanford, and Pande were there to slam their balls in the drawer.

*On another note: OCN hitting 3mil.. Im cracking a bottle for that!! Good work guys, lets keep it up!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow. i bow down. completely unethical morally, but hey, look at the cesspool that we call the world and this goes straight to the bottom of my "this is a wrongdoing" list.

heh. i wish i could have that PPD.

I wonder what it had been attached to. glad i buy my games

·
Registered
912 Posts
That was my daily humor.
Glad to see they got caught.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boydyboyd
View Post

i read some of the TPU thread and this is a good idea actually.

Steal a game...fold for the cause. Just make it fold for team "anonymous" so it's all good.

LOL yup no-one would have ever noticed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandlo
View Post

their name just makes it 10 times more funny lol.

For The Loss

:l achen:

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I can't say what the F T L actually stands for due to the swearing filter!
So, I'll say Fudge The Law
Or Folding Team Loss

Come on FTL, fold what you can on the up and up, if its legal, its all good

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamFTL
View Post

TeamFTL's website:

http://teamftl.blogspot.com

please post comments there. this account will not be monitored.

I call Bull :turd:

Team FTL was not putting up any points in 08/08 or 09/08. In 10/08 Team FTL puts up 4.7M points. In 11/08 it jumps to 22.9M, and increases until the smackdown in 02/09, and continues today...

You've called to have a number of your members banned on your blog, yet some of these names are still your top producers...have you directly asked Pandegroup to block these users? I bet they would take them offline in a heartbeat.

It's time to do the right thing, voluntarily disband the team. Whoever did this made your name mean Team For The Loss. Reguardless whether this was secretely santioned by the team, or done by one or more rouge members with a blind eye turned, it ruined your team's name.

Nearly 6,000 active users and 15,000 inactive users for a team that started folding in October of last year is a rapid rate of growth. It reeks of a hack. I think that Team FTL started as one guy with a trojan hack and a few who may have legitamately joined later. Just my

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
The scary thing is, it would be easy for whoever did this to put any name and team number into the client and tarnish a legitimate teams reputation.

Although i'm not saying that's what happened here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as we know, the illegal installation of FAH was due to an installer, which was similar to the OCAU MSI Installer (google that), except that the client.cfg had preset a username and team. This broke two elements of EULA: not providing enough information to the end-user, and distributing the client outside of the [email protected] website.

Currently, we have a copy of that installer (that account in the installer has already been banned), and it does not contain trojans. It is just a normal MSI installer, just that users are "tricked" into installing it without sufficient information about the project. In a sense, it was not hacking either, simply what we term "manipulation of the end-user".

From what we guess, someone got over-enthusiastic about the project and created these installers without first consulting the EULA nor giving enough information to the end-user. I honestly cannot think of a reason why people who want to do such a thing for a free project otherwise.

For the 133 accounts listed on the blog, we are searching for the original installer or instructions that created these accounts. Pande Group does not ban users without sufficient evidence.

And no, we don't see a reason to disband a team we worked so hard for (else we would've just ignored this and created another team). If your Overclock.net team was sabotaged in a similar way, are you going to ask your entire team to be disbanded? I think not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts