Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing direct die waterblock and TEC block on Haswell!

My 4770K has arrived, together with Gigabyte Z87 OC motherboard.
bike.gif

Time for some benching!

Here is what I am going to do:
1. Delid and replace TIM (of course)
2. Test with straight water cooling (Koolance CPU380 waterblock)
3. Direct die water cooling with a custom direct die water block (KOC Waterblock WXE)
4. Subambient cooling and OC to the hell with my 62mm TEC block (KOC T38)!

- - - -Koolance CPU380 - - - - - - - - - - -KOC WXE- - - - - - - - - - - -KOC T38 - - - - -


A lot of results coming! Please sub for more details
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Temperature comparison between blocks:


*Benchmark software used: AIDA (ver 3.0) stability test. Core temps are taken from the core package average after all temps are stabilized. Water temperature is taken at the water block inlet. Ambient temperature is between 23-26C.

Detailed results:
Koolance CPU380
KOC WXE, IHS on
KOC WXE, IHS off
KOC T38

OC results with KOC WXE direct die water block:

4.8GHz Cinebench:


OC result using KOC T38:

5.3Ghz Super Pi:


5.0Ghz Cinebench:


5GHz AIDA stability test:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

My 4770K has arrived, together with Gigabyte Z87 OC motherboard.
bike.gif

Time for some OC action!

Here is what I am going to do:
1. Delid and replace TIM (of course)
2. Test with straight water cooling (with CPU380 waterblock)
3. Direct die water cooling with a custom direct die water block
4. Subambient cooling and OC to the hell with my 62mm TEC block!

A lot of pictures coming! Please sub for more details
biggrin.gif
Subbed
thumb.gif


Should be interesting to see how cool you can get one of the new Haswell CPUs with this.

Is this the TEC you're using?
http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs/pdf/03111-5M31-40CQ_spec_sht.pdf

And what are you using for a coldplate? Because your CPU's IHS is about 38mm x 38mm, if you're using the LGA1150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Interesting. Subbed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
This looks awesome!

Subbed!
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Subbed
thumb.gif


Should be interesting to see how cool you can get one of the new Haswell CPUs with this.

Is this the TEC you're using?
http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs/pdf/03111-5M31-40CQ_spec_sht.pdf

And what are you using for a coldplate? Because your CPU's IHS is about 38mm x 38mm, if you're using the LGA1150.
No, this is the TEC I will use: http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs/pdf/19911-5M31-28CZ_spec_sht.pdf
Qmax 400W is the largest Qmax commonly available in US. I have also sourced a 500W Qmax TEC from China. I am going to see how it performs.
See my sig for the 62mm TEC block
smile.gif


The IHS dimension poses no problem. I can machine the bottom of the cold plate to its size.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

No, this is the TEC I will use: http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs/pdf/19911-5M31-28CZ_spec_sht.pdf
Qmax 400W is the largest Qmax commonly available in US. I have also sourced a 500W Qmax TEC from China. I am going to see how it performs.
See my sig for the 62mm TEC block
smile.gif


The IHS dimension poses no problem. I can machine the bottom of the cold plate to its size.
doh.gif
that's the one I meant to linK XD not sure how I accidentally clicked the 85Qmax one, but now I feel stupid.

Are you gunna undervolt it to 12v so you can run it with a standard PSU, or are you going the fancy route with an Auxiliary Power Supply?
Are you using an aluminum or a copper coldplate? I've been trying to track down a 62mm (or similar) copper coldplate, but can't find one.

On a side note, can you throw up a link to that 500Qmax TEC from china?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

doh.gif
that's the one I meant to linK XD not sure how I accidentally clicked the 85Qmax one, but now I feel stupid.

Are you using an aluminum or a copper coldplate? I've been trying to track down a 62mm (or similar) copper coldplate, but can't find one. On a side note, can you throw up a link to that 500Qmax TEC from china?
Yeah, I thought you meant the 400W one
smile.gif
Normally it's at the bottom of the list but today it's the 85Qmax one.
It's all copper (alloy 110). Here is the underside of the cold plate:



Here is the link to the 500w TEC (TEC1-24130): http://www.taileng.com/en-temodule-special.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

Yeah, I thought you meant the 400W one
smile.gif
Normally it's at the bottom of the list but today it's the 85Qmax one.
It's all copper (alloy 110). Here is the underside of the cold plate:

drool.gif


Do you know where to pick up a coldplate like that, or was it custom milled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

Yeah, I thought you meant the 400W one
smile.gif
Normally it's at the bottom of the list but today it's the 85Qmax one.
It's all copper (alloy 110). Here is the underside of the cold plate:

drool.gif


Do you know where to pick up a coldplate like that, or was it custom milled?
Looks like some sort of waterblock taken apart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

drool.gif

Do you know where to pick up a coldplate like that, or was it custom milled?
It's almost impossible to find the exact size you want. To make it I bought a CNC mill and endured a lot of complaints from my wife
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Direct die cooling help Ivy bridge and Haswell to lower core temperature. But since the die is lower than CPU retention, the retention bracke has to be removed to let waterblock contact the die. The risk (pin damage and bad pin contact) associated with CPU retention removal is quite significant. Since I have the tools I want to make a direct die block that can goes into the CPU retention so I don't have to remove it.
Everything is made on my CNC mill. I hope you enjoy the pics. KOC Waterblock WXE!









 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

Direct die cooling help Ivy bridge and Haswell to lower core temperature. But since the die is lower than CPU retention, the retention bracke has to be removed to let waterblock contact the die. The risk (pin damage and bad pin contact) associated with CPU retention removal is quite significant. Since I have the tools I want to make a direct die block that can goes into the CPU retention so I don't have to remove it.
Everything is made on my CNC mill. I hope you enjoy the pics.








So the TEC is sandwiched between that 40mm to 62mm coldplate and the waterblock? Damn, that's smexy!

Going to be wicked seeing what kind of OC the Haswell can get with a beastly TEC like that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

So the TEC is sandwiched between that 40mm to 62mm coldplate and the waterblock? Damn, that's smexy!

Going to be wicked seeing what kind of OC the Haswell can get with a beastly TEC like that!
Maybe I didn't make it very clear. The direct die waterblock I just showed above is not a TEC block. Pictures worth a thousand words:

 

·
Not New to Overclock.net
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
Very cool
biggrin.gif
.
 

·
TEC Veteran
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
Looking good
smile.gif
.

Out of curiosity, what were your cold plate/core temp deltas with your setup on IB? It seems no matter how many times I remount my block, I get terrible deltas at load. I know its because of a poor mount on the block or IHS, but I'm getting really tired of tearing it down to remount lol. Idle will hold cold plate temps, but even my best mount was still ~45c above cold plate at load and I know its not the TEC stalling yet (although it is close) since the cold plate temp isn't rising.

I think my next step is ordering that "Precision Mount" kit and seeing if I can get it to work with my TEC block on a bare die without the retention plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Looking good
smile.gif
.

Out of curiosity, what were your cold plate/core temp deltas with your setup on IB? It seems no matter how many times I remount my block, I get terrible deltas at load. I know its because of a poor mount on the block or IHS, but I'm getting really tired of tearing it down to remount lol. Idle will hold cold plate temps, but even my best mount was still ~45c above cold plate at load and I know its not the TEC stalling yet (although it is close) since the cold plate temp isn't rising.

I think my next step is ordering that "Precision Mount" kit and seeing if I can get it to work with my TEC block on a bare die without the retention plate.
Depending on your overclock settings and placement of the thermal probe, 45C delta between core and cold plate can be very normal. If you are getting consistent readings between remounts and the TIM is spread well, your mounting is OK. The placement of thermal probe has a significant impact. Between the center and the far edge of the cold plate, temperate difference can be easily more than 5C during full load. But if you use dew point protection, to be safe, you have to place the thermal probe at the coldest spot on the cold plate.
I have also observed that at idle core temp ~ cold plate temp. For full load on IB check the temp in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265022/ivy-bridge-rocks-5-1ghz-prime95-3770k-and-more/0_100
IIRC in this test the cold plate temperature was around 3C at full load, thus Prime95 gives over 50C delta core-coldplate.

BTW how do you mount your block. Is it sprint mount or hard mount?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

It's almost impossible to find the exact size you want. To make it I bought a CNC mill and endured a lot of complaints from my wife
smile.gif
Subbed!

Foxrena where did you get the cnc mill? I'm starting to think I might want to do the same.

Thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top