Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen coolers that have a TEC between the CPU and the HSF and the TEC is activated only when the processor reaches a certain temperature, wouldn't the TEC add thermal resistance and give worse temperatures when not activated?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Those heatsinks have a heatsink base directly on the CPU. There's a TEC on TOP of that heatsink base. The TEC is cooled by another heatsink (basically).

You are correct though. A TEC not moving enough energy is an insulator.

You can sorta see here that the TEC is between two metal plates with heatpipes.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
yes, not to mention Peltiers work both ways: Curent in = delta t AND delta t can = curent out.

not a good idea imo. I have seen setups that will vary the power which would be a good idea to keep condensation down.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

If I put, say a 56W TEC on my GPU and an HR0-03, if I ran the TEC full time, would the temps go lower than with just the heatsink?

Your CPU would overheat in less than a minute and the TEC would fry.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

gpu?

Your GPU would overheat in less than a minute and the TEC would fry.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ahhh. What wattage could I use with a GTX 285 (stock) and an HR-03 GTX with a high CFM fan to get "below-standard-air" temps?

For a GPU core, you would probably need a 200-300w TEC. Your HR-03 won't be able to handle the 300w+ load.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I always try to have a TEC at least twice the wattage as my OC'ed chips heat output, 3x is even better. You really want WC on any TEC if your OC'ing it, a HSF, unless it the size of a small state, isn't very effective. If you use a underpowered TEC you will run hotter then a HSF or WC'ing, to small a TEC and you can kill your chip from the heat, I don't know if you can set a shutdown temp for a GPU, if you can I would.

Really for a GPU I'd just do a hard core WC on it, if your volt modding it or doing insane clocks, and get a GPU dry ice/Ln2 pot for benching.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Uhh you can't pair a high wattage TEC with a high wattage CPU and a small air heatsink. You'd need something much larger than an IFX-14 to cool 500+ watts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.