1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
883 Posts
Depending on how much of a condensation you might get, you may want to spray both sides of the mobo with acrylic conformal coating (taping over all sockets)

Acrylic Conformal Coating (same as swiftech but cheaper)
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=661-0635&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=419B%2D340G&R=661%2D0635&sid =45429D80123E617F

You might need more di-electric grease than that too, especially if you have to clean up and try again, spark plug di-electric grease is the exact same but it comes in much bigger tubes at auto parts stores.

How cold is that thing gonna get?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crowley

Depending on how much of a condensation you might get, you may want to spray both sides of the mobo with acrylic conformal coating (taping over all sockets)

Acrylic Conformal Coating (same as swiftech but cheaper)
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=661-0635&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=419B%2D340G&R=661%2D0635&sid =45429D80123E617F

You might need more di-electric grease than that too, especially if you have to clean up and try again, spark plug di-electric grease is the exact same but it comes in much bigger tubes at auto parts stores.

How cold is that thing gonna get?

I ordered everything I linked. On the back it says that it is an 850W unit.
Their current models are 650W and they can go -5C. Maybe I can go lower. I odered the MCT-40 too.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
Wow, that looks pretty neat. It makes me wonder how it could be modified to control a direct-die peltier cooler...
I'm going to use it as a chiller with the Koolance kit I got so I can cool the two processors and my video card too.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Hey Snerp, I wonder if it would do any good to use step up barbs? I know it wouldn't help flow but the bigger tube would hold more cold water....Just a thought ...

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k

Hey Snerp, I wonder if it would do any good to use step up barbs? I know it wouldn't help flow but the bigger tube would hold more cold water....Just a thought ...

The whole setup is 1/4" so I think I will just leave it for now. I already bought all of the tubing & neoprene tubing insulation, so I'll be sticking with it till I am ready to jump uo to a custom setup and then I'll re plumb the entire unit. I think I should be able to hit some great temps though.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

The whole setup is 1/4" so I think I will just leave it for now. I already bought all of the tubing & neoprene tubing insulation, so I'll be sticking with it till I am ready to jump uo to a custom setup and then I'll re plumb the entire unit. I think I should be able to hit some great temps though.

You might as well then....Be glad when we get to see your temp's!!!

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I decided to rip it apart because one of the fittings was loose and here's what it looked like! I dunoo what I'm going to do with it...

I'm thinking I'm going to sell the Koolance kit and go for a 3/8" DD setup with a MAZE 4 CPU block, but I dunoo. Let me know what you guys think.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So I decided to rip it apart because one of the fittings was loose and here's what it looked like! I dunoo what I'm going to do with it...

I'm thinking I'm going to sell the Koolance kit and go for a 3/8" DD setup with a MAZE 4 CPU block, but I dunoo. Let me know what you guys think.

Wow Snerp, I dont know anything about Tec's, but from the size of the capaciters and voltage coils in that chiler it looks heavy duty...Can you not fix the loose fittings?

I would lose the Koolance to, why not go with a 1/2 rig if your going to start out from scratch?

Thanks for all the pic's............

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, like I said it's 850W

I dunoo what I'm going to do with it. I emailed the maker of the unit to see if they have a manual for it or anything like that. It looks like all the pipes are 1/4" or 3/8" and those aren't comming apart. I don't have a workshop and it would be A LOT of work to redo all the plumbing. It has two input/outputs on the back. I think one is for the cooling of the pelts and the other is the chiller side.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a MAZE 4 CPU block with 3/8" barbs. It's cheap and will work well with a chiller.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yeah, like I said it's 850W

I dunoo what I'm going to do with it. I emailed the maker of the unit to see if they have a manual for it or anything like that. It looks like all the pipes are 1/4" or 3/8" and those aren't comming apart. I don't have a workshop and it would be A LOT of work to redo all the plumbing. It has two input/outputs on the back. I think one is for the cooling of the pelts and the other is the chiller side.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a MAZE 4 CPU block with 3/8" barbs. It's cheap and will work well with a chiller.

Who's the manufacturer and what is the model number?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC
View Post

Who's the manufacturer and what is the model number?

Thermotek Inc
Model#: LC501

It's actually a prototype

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thermotek Inc
Model#: LC501

It's actually a prototype

No fair

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786
View Post

No fair

Nah...It's a very old prototype. I just found it funny.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got my Neoprene, die grease, conformal and ceramique. I'll be getting all that taken care of for when I'm ready to hook the chiller up. I ended up with enough neoprene to make a wetsuit for a small child

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I could plumb something like a condenser used for phase into the cold output from the chiller and then put that in a res and make a slush box.

I was thinking that would be a more efficient way to go about it. That way the cold liquid from the pelts would recalculate faster and it would take less power. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp View Post
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I could plumb something like a condenser used for phase into the cold output from the chiller and then put that in a res and make a slush box.

I was thinking that would be a more efficient way to go about it. That way the cold liquid from the pelts would recalculate faster and it would take less power. What do you guys think?
I think you have a good idea there Snerp....With a 850W pelt in a slush box you could probably cool you gpu's also...I dont know what you could use for the condenser...Maybe make a 1/2" copper coil about 6 or how ever many 1/2' tubes high, mash them down on top of each other and tie them togather...Just get some plumbers springs so you can bend with-out kinking the tubing and solder on unions as you go ....That's how they make 'shine condenser's, or so I've been told....
....EDIT: If you could fit it in aplastic double sided insulated 5 gallon water can it would be more compact...Have it come in from the top and out the bottom....

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
I think you have a good idea there Snerp....With a 850W pelt in a slush box you could probably cool you gpu's also...I dont know what you could use for the condenser...Maybe make a 1/2" copper coil about 6 or how ever many 1/2' tubes high, mash them down on top of each other and tie them togather...Just get some plumbers springs so you can bend with-out kinking the tubing and solder on unions as you go ....That's how they make 'shine condenser's, or so I've been told....
....EDIT: If you could fit it in aplastic double sided insulated 5 gallon water can it would be more compact...Have it come in from the top and out the bottom....
This is going to be in the smallest res I can make work. I plan on using MCT-40 and that stuff cost way too much. I was going to eventually cool my GPU anyways (remember I'm buying the MAZE5 when Burn gets done with it?), but I'm not sure if this will be a more efficient way to go about it or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts