Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
After closing 2015 with the worst record of its 140 - year history, which resulted in a loss of 4,500 million dollars and the dismissal of nearly 7,000 employees in its electronics division, the Japanese pioneer giant in the manufacturing of portable, Toshiba has decided to retire from computing business on March 31. From that day, all its commercial offices, including the US, Europe and Latin America will be closed.
Source

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Rest in pepperoni, Toshiba. With internals like this, I am not very surprised.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm a little bit surprised and a little bit not. I see a lot of consumers with Toshiba laptops, but they're usually the older models and they never went past core 2 duos or early i series. I'm still happy about it though, there's enough laptop manufacturers imo and Toshiba is just a pain in the butt to work on.

Wasn't nice knowing you Toshiba.
thumb.gif

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,121 Posts
How did they lose $4.5B? Surely they didn't make that many laptops and such without being able to sell them...

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Very sad and unfortunate for those that lost their jobs.

I didn't expect to see Toshiba leaving the computing business at all as I hadn't been following them lately, so I hadn't known they were doing so poorly.

Edit: Typo
They're not completely leaving. From the article:
Quote:
The company has initiated a restructuring process where it will join with VAIO and Fujitsu to create a brand new desktops and laptops that seek to make a lot of noise in the market.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Is there a source for this? The Vaio/Fujitsu/Toshiba deal has been rumored since February, but not confirmed AFAICS. Likewise, Toshiba denied that they're pulling out of the PC market.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

How did they lose $4.5B? Surely they didn't make that many laptops and such without being able to sell them...
A lot of companies bought into china growing market. Right now, it is brutal over there. My company shipped over 64 million unit per year to china over the last 8 years. They where literally selling quicker then we could produce them. But in late 2015-2016, the market slammed shut. we now sell 0 units to china. When we researched into it. Basically the whole market is stagnated. No one ist selling anything. Even the people that used to clone our product are not moving any. Now home and business automation is not a low end market. But it is getting pretty bad. A lot of companies saw that economic explosion in china as the next American type consumer. But right now china can not even pay a guy to turn of the lights after the party is over.

You literally have companies selling stock in their companies to banks to pay back debt.

·
Expert pin bender
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Cant remember the last time I saw a Toshiba laptop...
thinking.gif
I have 1 and used to have 2 until one died recently. The thing is they were cost effective and did okay what i used them for which was work. The one that died was in service since 2008. I got a ton of usage in 8 years so it paid for itself in my book.

if i had to do it again i would buy Toshiba again if the price was right and 450$ was a good price in 2008.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
My first personal computer was a Toshiba A215. While it didnt let me play the latest games it certainly carried me through high school and beyond for some time. I do have fond memories of it, and what it propelled me to do (learn more about PC's) I wouldnt exactly go back to it lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Toshiba was by far my favorite laptop brand. Anyone who asked me who they should buy a laptop from, Toshiba.

If they ever broke down, easy to tear down. They always use the same screw sizes for the chassis, and the designs are super simple.

HP is the worst to work on, and always have those crappy heatsink designs.

Acer, just cheap all around.

Dell, awesome.

Lenovo is dell....

Never really touched the "gaming" laptops.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Toshiba qosmio was the best gaming laptop I ever owned. Great sound, maxed out any game, super reliable, all for a really reasonable price. It was my dependable Lan machine for many years. Sad that I'll never have the chance to own a new one.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOfIce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

A lot of companies bought into china growing market. Right now, it is brutal over there. My company shipped over 64 million unit per year to china over the last 8 years. They where literally selling quicker then we could produce them. But in late 2015-2016, the market slammed shut. we now sell 0 units to china. When we researched into it. Basically the whole market is stagnated. No one ist selling anything. Even the people that used to clone our product are not moving any. Now home and business automation is not a low end market. But it is getting pretty bad. A lot of companies saw that economic explosion in china as the next American type consumer. But right now china can not even pay a guy to turn of the lights after the party is over.

You literally have companies selling stock in their companies to banks to pay back debt.
Ouch, I am so sorry to hear this

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Used to see nothing but on campus (laptops btw) Dells > than a wave of HP > early to mid 2000s saw a wave of Acer and Toshiba laptops > now you see nothing but Lenovo's and Apples.

I mean I really can't remember the last time I've seen a satellite branded laptop since the 2000s, US market anyways.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega X View Post

Japanese tech companies are slowly imploding.
Problem is that they can't catch up to today's demands fast enough.

·
Irrigator of Souls
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand View Post

Rest in pepperoni, Toshiba. With internals like this, I am not very surprised.

Not too different from an HP laptop, honestly. When you race to the bottom of the engineering margins there are bound to be wire traces everywhere.

My Tecra 8000 was my first laptop and it was awesome. Passive LCD but fast as hell and tons of ports.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
PC Evangelist
46,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

Problem is that they can't catch up to today's demands fast enough.
Not really. They just have different mentality.

• Rep+
Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
I still got a Toshiba Ultrabook, had W8 on it, ran like complete poo crap. Smacked Linux in it and boy did that baby take off. Tend to use it when I have to go travel somewhere for several weeks. Of course I later smacked a SSD into it and now it fast as hell on start up and shutdown. Of course I still call it craptastic at times.
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 100 Posts