Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:
Google is exploring launching a wireless carrier service, according to The Information. The report cites a meeting between Google and Verizon officials in which the possibility of a Google MVNO was discussed. At this point, with Google Fiber and ever-expanding Nexus brand, it would be irresponsible for Google not to explore the possibility of a launching such a service.
10/10 would buy

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Please buy Republic Wireless...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Oh my goodness....oh my goodness!!! PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!
biggrin.gif
Bring it to Indianapolis and I'd be set for life
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Might as well. They already own the majority of the populations personal data anyways. I know their up to know good, like any other big company but at least they offer awesome services while their at it.

I guess I am all for this. Bring it on.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Next we'll be seeing "Google planning to take over World by entering each market one by one" man that will be scary.

Wait a minute...
rolleyes.gif

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Monopolizing everything, Google's usual MO. The power, political and financial, that this particular corporation has secured absolutely terrifies me. Ever since Snowden, I'll never fully trust Google again. Or any of its competitors, for that matter.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardsoup View Post

Monopolizing everything, Google's usual MO. The power, political and financial, that this particular corporation has secured absolutely terrifies me. Ever since Snowden, I'll never fully trust Google again. Or any of its competitors, for that matter.
Better stop using Windows then. Just saying if you're going to actually make a stand you should...you know actually make a stand.
thumb.gif

And even though Google hasn't been all that "bad" in my view; I feel chills at the thought of them either extending too far and crashing...or beginning to control so much of our lives. Just like I shuddered when they bought Boston Dynamics. What could a tech/internet company need military robots for? Now they want wireless communication networks? Yes I'm leading you to a Skynet joke.
tongue.gif

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Better stop using Windows then. Just saying if you're going to actually make a stand you should...you know actually make a stand.
thumb.gif

And even though Google hasn't been all that "bad" in my view; I feel chills at the thought of them either extending too far and crashing...or beginning to control so much of our lives. Just like I shuddered when they bought Boston Dynamics. What could a tech/internet company need military robots for? Now they want wireless communication networks? Yes I'm leading you to a Skynet joke.
tongue.gif
Lol don't jinx it, too much fiction has become reality lately! All we need now is rouge AI's all over the place.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Uhh.....stick to cell phones and that sort of deal, stay out of the WISP industry for awhile please. Let me get at least close to retirement before you stomp me out.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This isnt really good news, the rumor is they are trying to piggyback off another carrier, so its not like youd get lightning fast internet, and i doubt youd get a dramatic price drop. Its nowhere like their fiber experiment. If they were planting towers and starting their own wireless service- sign me up. Otherwise this isnt a rumor that really matters.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x View Post

This isnt really good news, the rumor is they are trying to piggyback off another carrier, so its not like youd get lightning fast internet, and i doubt youd get a dramatic price drop. Its nowhere like their fiber experiment. If they were planting towers and starting their own wireless service- sign me up. Otherwise this isnt a rumor that really matters.
Wouldn't it be cheaper since they don't have to worry about the costs of up keeping the towers and all that? All google would have to worry about is paying w/e they're piggy backing right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just read a techspot article saying that a google cell service would be in the areas of Gfiber. So I'm not going to hold my breath for this, but if it becomes nationwide I would jump off my current carrier for it in a heartbeat.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback77 View Post

I just read a techspot article saying that a google cell service would be in the areas of Gfiber. So I'm not going to hold my breath for this, but if it becomes nationwide I would jump off my current carrier for it in a heartbeat.
The problem with those statements coming out is that it would require Google to build an entirely new network on their own, with new equipment that really isn't even out yet. There isn't a current provider that has that kind of capacity.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

The problem with those statements coming out is that it would require Google to build an entirely new network on their own, with new equipment that really isn't even out yet. There isn't a current provider that has that kind of capacity.
don't worry google will just throw money at it and make it exist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Well google has thrived on jumping in on markets which people are fed up with the current offerings. First search engine, then email, now internet service. It wouldn't be that hard to think google is seriously thinking about building their own cell network. All the gripe and complaining that is done about the current ISPs, what with net neutrality and stuff....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It would be cool if they mostly digital to keep the costs down. You sign up online. You pay online. Service your phone online.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts