1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:
Basics

There's a lot of new stuff unique to the HTC One (M8) in Sense 6, but first the basics: It's an Android 4.4 KitKat smartphone packing a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.3GHz quad core processor, has 2GB of RAM, and includes either 16GB or 32GB of onboard storage with up to 128GB expandable microSD card storage. LTE is supported, of course, and there's Bluetooth 3.0, NFC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi (that's rare for a smartphone) and an IR blaster. Sensors including the standard accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor and gyro, as well as a barometer for detecting changes in air pressure immediately around you.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 11.11.45 AM

The battery has 2600 mAh capacity, and HTC says that'll be good for up to 20 hours of 3G talk time, or up to 496 hours of standby on a 3G network connection, which is probably going to be roughly comparable to what the 2,800 mAh powerhouse on the slightly larger-screened Galaxy S5 will offer.

Throwback Case And Notifications

Another interesting part of the HTC One is its case - HTC has created a Dot View case that uses the above-mentioned Motion Launch gestures to provide essential information at a glance. The case displays key info like texts, emails, calls and weather notifications without activating the screen, and instead showing the info with a retro, dot-matrix style readout.

Paired with the metal finish, it's a good look, and one that should help HTC stand out in the Android crowd.

HTC ONE

Before the end of April the HTC One will launch in Australia, UK, Taiwan, France, Canada and the US. Sense 6 will come to HTC One devices released in 2013 in April, too. HTC One (M8) will have broad in-store U.S. and Canadian availability in the first few weeks of April, and by April 10, but users can buy it online at 1PM ET today online direct from AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, Rogers, Bell and Telus in North America. Verizon will also have them in-store exclusively as of 1 PM ET today. Pricing in Canada is around $229 on a two-year agreement, or $700 outright, with American carriers offering it at around $649 without agreement or $199 with new two-year contracts. It's also available in gold exclusively at Best Buy, where it can be purchased now for all major U.S. carriers.
'Bout damn time they added a microSD slot onto the HTC One!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Waiting until April 2 for Nokia's announcement...then I'll decide...I think they have something cool up their sleeve

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb222 View Post

Waiting until April 2 for Nokia's announcement...then I'll decide...I think they have something cool up their sleeve
It better be the 1820, and it better be coming to Canada. Otherwise... well... I'll do something crazy...

Like just buy it off amazon and get it shipped to Canada
sad-smiley-002.gif

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
They used the same camera that's in the original One, right? If so, that's a shame. I have the HTC One M7 and although the camera is good, it could be a lot better. Guess I won't be upgrading
frown.gif

·
Zeon
601 Posts
HTC dropped the ball this round again, I hate Samsung, LG phones etc etc because they all feel like cheap plastic. I really miss flashing kernels and roms but I guess ill be upgrading to an iPhone 6
mad.gif

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Definitely my next phone!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sigh. Again with the small batteries.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post

HTC dropped the ball this round again, I hate Samsung, LG phones etc etc because they all feel like cheap plastic. I really miss flashing kernels and roms but I guess ill be upgrading to an iPhone 6
mad.gif
Wait, what makes you think they dropped the ball? I can't tell if you're suggesting that the M8 will feel like plastic such as the other competitors or if you're just including your reasoning for shunning the other android offerings. If the former, I would think that the metal finish would feel less like plastic then...plastic.
If it's the latter, I don't mean to say that I'm not a little disappointed too, but what are you specifically missing?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Someone needs to do an all out comparison between this and the S5. Like now. Please.

Because this phone looks darn good, and I think I'd like it for my next phone.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Wow, looks amazing...................

Is it aluminum again though? If so, this is definitely my next phone this summer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not even an "improvement" - the rear camera sensor is the same (with same issues as before - some of the sample photos in different reviews looked too "soft" in some areas and most looked severely under/overexposed and very desaturated) and they took away OIS in exchange for secondary camera for gimmicky "defocus" effects :-/ That, and they also needlessly increased the overall physical size (I don't NEED or want 5" or lager display size in smartphones).

Edit: Just look for yourself - these separate reviews have very similar photo samples:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5544642/htc-one-review-m8
http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-samples-new-htc-one

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post

Not even an "improvement" - the rear camera sensor is the same (with same issues as before - some of the sample photos in different reviews looked too "soft" in some areas and most looked severely under/overexposed and very desaturated) and they took away OIS in exchange for secondary camera for gimmicky "defocus" effects :-/ That, and they also needlessly increased the overall physical size (I don't NEED or want 5" or lager display size in smartphones).

Edit: Just look for yourself - these separate reviews have very similar photo samples:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5544642/htc-one-review-m8
http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-samples-new-htc-one
So Snapdragon 600 to 801, Adreno 320 to 330, 2.0 MP to 5.0 MP front camera, and microSD slot aren't upgrades?

Your 5" comment is purely your opinion. At least they didn't include a uselessly high PPI 1440p display.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

Your 5" comment is purely your opinion
So is your comment about new CPU and GPU (you remind me of one of the Apple fanbots in this regard). I have used the previous HTC One model (I still have it as a spare) and now I am using Moto X. I have several dozen of apps and games on them, many of them I use every day. I have NEVER felt the need for faster CPU/GPU on either of them, not even when playing games. MicroSD slot is a definite improvement, yes, and is useful to have for different tasks like for example viewing/sharing recording from in-vehicle dashboard camera if you don't have your tablet/laptop nearby, but that alone does not excuse other deficiencies. And yes, front camera is improved in terms of megapixels but I never had the need to use it for spamming selfies all over Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat or for any other purpose.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post

So is your comment about new CPU and GPU (you remind me of one of the Apple fanbots in this regard). I have used the previous HTC One model (I still have it as a spare) and now I am using Moto X. I have several dozen of apps and games on them, many of them I use every day. I have NEVER felt the need for faster CPU/GPU on either of them, not even when playing games. MicroSD slot is a definite improvement, yes, and is useful to have for different tasks like for example viewing/sharing recording from in-vehicle dashboard camera if you don't have your tablet/laptop nearby, but that alone does not excuse other deficiencies. And yes, front camera is improved in terms of megapixels but I never had the need to use it for spamming selfies all over Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat or for any other purpose.
I think his response was more directed at the implied extremity of your statement. Saying that this phone isn't an improvement over it's predecessor is simply not true. Whether you notice the differences or think they're unimportant doesn't make them nonexistent. It sounds like they didn't upgrade one key part that you care about (hopefully you don't mind that I include the many aspects of photo taking into one category, I do realize there are many facets therein that I don't recognize) which is fine, but it sounds like you think the entire phone is trash just because you're not pleased with the camera.

Admittedly, you bring up the size being a factor for you as well, but surely you don't think that's an objective negative.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts