Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Given recent and massive stories about data security breaches by some very, very large players in the technology and financial spaces, we have developed a mantra that you should have on repeat in your head any time you read stories about a breach: however big the breach is reported to be initially, it's always bigger. We formulated that 12 years ago and it has continually held true. We saw it with Equifax. We saw it with Deloitte. And you will also likely recall that 2013 and 2014 were not banner years for data security at a little company called Yahoo. Hacks of Yahoo's email platform were reported initially to be in the hundreds of thousands in terms of the number of accounts compromised. As Verizon began negotiating the purchase of Yahoo, that number crept into the hundreds of millions. Eventually, Yahoo settled on a billion compromised accounts resulting from the hacks.
Source

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
I all ways see these stories, but never bother to post on OCN.

WHY DID IT TAKE THEM SO LONG TO LET US KNOW!?

Edit: It's because Verizon was buying Yahoo, and Yahoo didn't do A FULL SECURITY CHECK!? THEY NEVER BOTHERED TO FIND THE ACTUAL NUMBER!? This is why I'm done with Yahoo. It wasn't even more than 2 months ago I was still receiving e-mails of services letting me know that there was suspicious activities on my accounts. That last breach (even after changing my info on my email instantly) kept coming back over and over again.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolb2002 View Post

I still used yahoo as my primary forum/junk email account.
same. It's the email I give to anything I don't really want to have my email.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7850K View Post

Quote:

same. It's the email I give to anything I don't really want to have my email.
make that 3
thumb.gif

since 1998.

oh yeah i should get OT.

personally i don't care since using the account for far less than a primary purpose but, i guess some folks do have info in their accounts they would prefer to be private. yeah i know, but not everyone has online common sense.

they should have been told sooner.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
I can't remember my old yahoo account name. All I did was play checkers online with it
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Same, I use it for anything non sensitive, as Yahoo obviously sells your email address. The Spam there is incredible regardless of what you block. I use another service where my inbox has not gone past 10 "unexpected" emails in over 5 years.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

I all ways see these stories, but never bother to post on OCN.

WHY DID IT TAKE THEM SO LONG TO LET US KNOW!?

Edit: It's because Verizon was buying Yahoo, and Yahoo didn't do A FULL SECURITY CHECK!? THEY NEVER BOTHERED TO FIND THE ACTUAL NUMBER!? This is why I'm done with Yahoo. It wasn't even more than 2 months ago I was still receiving e-mails of services letting me know that there was suspicious activities on my accounts. That last breach (even after changing my info on my email instantly) kept coming back over and over again.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm honestly surprised the SEC hasn't opened an inquiry into the Verizon deal now, this came out waaaaay to conveniently after the shareholders had opportunity to sell without this damage, and executives were able to exercise insanely large golden parachutes without loss.

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
After the financial crisis of the mid 2000's, and the lack of anyone being held accountable, this kind of practice just doesn't surprise me anymore. I'm so desensitized to these reveals that I'm just numb, anymore.

• Rep+
Reactions: Flames21891

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
Quote:

Says everyone on earth. This is Yahoo's niche market.

·
Needs more voltage
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxxyarly View Post

After the financial crisis of the mid 2000's, and the lack of anyone being held accountable, this kind of practice just doesn't surprise me anymore. I'm so desensitized to these reveals that I'm just numb, anymore.
I have to completely agree with you.

I'm currently studying to get my CompTIA Security+ certification (probably a baby step for most of you here, but hey, I've gotta start somewhere) and as of right now, I've learned a lot about what security measures should be in place at huge corporations like Yahoo!, Equifax etc.

But then you hear about how massive these data breaches are and, even worse, that the data stolen is in a decipherable format. You quickly begin to realize that these companies you trusted to implement proper security measures to protect your data are clearly cutting corners to save a few bucks, and then they act all surprised when someone breaches their system and is able to shake down their servers for all they have. Now I'm just kinda like "Oh look, another multi-million/billion dollar corporation that decided proper security protocols and encryption wasn't worth the money. Shame."

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

I can't remember my old yahoo account name. All I did was play checkers online with it
tongue.gif
same here, lol, i remember those days... chess too

·
Registered
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

tongue.gif
I was all about that Street Fighter rock-paper-scissors game on Yahoo Messenger. I can't remember the last time I even looked at my yahoo mail though.

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

make that 3
thumb.gif

since 1998.

oh yeah i should get OT.

personally i don't care since using the account for far less than a primary purpose but, i guess some folks do have info in their accounts they would prefer to be private. yeah i know, but not everyone has online common sense.

they should have been told sooner.
4, since day one, damn I have alot of archived emails. Lol

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,834 Posts
Thank god, i don't (didn't) have anything serious attached to my yahoo mail.

·
Newsfiend
2,429 Posts
Oh noes my Yahoo! pool scores.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
I think I had a Yahoo account the first year they launched........

Man, times have changed!

EDIT:

Yahoo had 3 Billion users in 2013? Holy crap, how could they not survive with that sort of user count? Oh, I know, incredibly horrid legacy systems/structures and no management capable of dealing with it.

Still, that number is a lot higher than I guess I realized.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
My parents have had an AT&T email account for many years now, which later got ported over to Yahoo webmail. Of course they use a desktop mail client which adds it's own issues. They constantly get spam, undelievered letters, stuff that only shows up in the webmail, etc. I've been try for years to get them to switch to something reliable, but they just won't. Even this hack probably won't push them over the edge. I don't really get it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts