Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird bug will brick your iPhone if you set it to a certain date

Quote:
For the iPhone, January 1, 1970 was not a good day.

There's a bug that will render modern iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch models useless. All you have to do to turn your expensive iOS device into a brick is set its clock to the aforementioned date.

The bug started receiving attention on Reddit Thursday with people experimenting on their own iOS devices to see if it worked. Some recorded the process, which involves changing the date in the Settings app and rebooting the device, and shared videos on YouTube:

Quote:
It's unclear what causes Apple's operating system to crash from changing the date, but one proposed explanation is that it has something to do with changing time zones. Susceptible devices run Apple's A7 processor and later, starting with the iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and the second generation iPad mini.

"In some time zones, setting the date to 1 Jan 1970 will set the internal clock to a number less than zero, as the time is stored in GMT (as the number of seconds since midnight on that date) and then the offset is applied before display," wrote one Reddit user. "In other time zones, setting the clock will result in a positive time value. Best guess is that this is triggered by having the time value less than zero."

Manually restoring the device through iTunes doesn't work, so the only fix for victims of the bug is to pay a visit to their local Apple store.

This isn't the first clock-related bug to cause problems for the iPhone. Several bugs over the years have shut off or delayed alarms, causing people to be late to work.
SOURCE

·
Banned
631 Posts
Iphone : model of smartphones that has holds the record of the most varied and weird ways to be rendered useless by digital means.

·
Registered
704 Posts
When it's bricked, just leave it on until the battery is fully depleted. Then plug in your recharger, and voila.... your device will reset itself. If you know how to rid of the battery, that will also work.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amang View Post

When it's bricked, just leave it on until the battery is fully depleted. Then plug in your recharger, and voila.... your device will reset itself. If you know how to rid of the battery, that will also work.
Dont think it would be considered as bricked if a simple restart/reboot would fix it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Johnatan8

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
ha, thats kind of neat...one of those stupid bugs that would never be caught in internal testing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescotter View Post

Dont think it would be considered as bricked if a simple restart/reboot would fix it.
Or should I say "When you think it's bricked, just leave it on...."
tongue.gif

Anyway, who would do such thing as setting the device clock to January 1, 1970??

·
AMD s939 LVL 99+
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amang View Post

Or should I say "When you think it's bricked, just leave it on...."
tongue.gif

Anyway, who would do such thing as setting the device clock to January 1, 1970??
As a time traveler, I can say changing dates on certain things helps keep track of events, this is a necessity.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
IF I do this and take it to the apple store...will they give me a new iphone? My 5s screen is bulging because of battery swelling and the tech's won't replace the battery for me yet... Just keep setting up appts at different stores till someone will do it... lame sauce.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

IF I do this and take it to the apple store...will they give me a new iphone? My 5s screen is bulging because of battery swelling and the tech's won't replace the battery for me yet... Just keep setting up appts at different stores till someone will do it... lame sauce.
Won't lose anything trying.
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
will Apple unbrick it for free? If not that is messed up I can only imagine the number of people who tried it thinking it was a joke.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescotter View Post

Bricked is a term that gets thrown for everything nowdays.
Unless someone tech savy actually confirms it is permanently damaged i don't consder it bricked.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadjinnSayan View Post

Iphone : model of smartphones that has holds the record of the most varied and weird ways to be rendered useless by digital means.
There's probably random issues with most phones, but the sheer number of iPhones leads to more of them being found over time.

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post

There's probably random issues with most phones, but the sheer number of iPhones leads to more of them being found over time.
There are many, many, many more Android handsets in the world then iPhone.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Android devices, sure, but I'm talking about individual models. Compare the number of iPhone 6's to say, the number of LG G3's.

·
Politically incorrect
9,400 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Android devices, sure, but I'm talking about individual models. Compare the number of iPhone 6's to say, the number of LG G3's.
LOL LG G3. Why not compare it with one of the Galaxy's?

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Quote:

Quote:

LOL LG G3. Why not compare it with one of the Galaxy's?
Because the result is the same. More iPhones than Galaxy devices.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Because the result is the same. More iPhones than Galaxy devices.
Actually that is probably wrong now of days. Though the GS6 has not done as well as the GS5, the GS5 did outsell apple.

Though I do have to say, the GS6 Edge is a nicer phone. And probably too much of a change for some people.

Last Samsung phone I had was the GS4, and boy was it solid. Just had to get rid of touchwiz, and it was good.

The LG devices have only been decent so far. My Droid Turbo has been overly great, with its big battery life and good SoC. For a Phone that is over 2 years old. Motorola makes some nice phones. Better than LG if I do say so myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts