·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE
SOURCE 2
This is the first drone that can fly, dive, and swim

Quote:
Researchers from Oakland University's Embedded Systems Research Laboratory built a drone that can seamlessly transition from aerial flight to diving and swimming.

Dubbed the Loon Copter, the drone was built for the Drones for Good competition, which is held in Dubai February 4-6 and comes with a grand prize of $1 million.
giphy.gif

Quote:
The drone project started in 2014 and just recently was able to demonstrate the ability to fly, dive, and swim. This could be good news for drone aficionados who are sick of losing their UAVs to lakes and other bodies of water.

The drone is equipped with a cylinder that hangs below its air frame. The cylinder, when filled with air, provides the drone with buoyancy so it can transition from aerial flight to floating on water with ease.
giphy.gif

Quote:
The cylinder can also pump out the air, allowing it to fill with water and sink, giving the drone the ability to go diving. It then uses the same propellers used to navigate in air to swim in the water.

The drone can then pump out the water to return it to the surface and fly away.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
*throws money at the screen*

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Glad to see there is tech that makes me go Wow!!!!!!

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Pretty cool stuff. Just wait until the military employs this on a larger scale...

Submarines launching recon drones from offshore, while fully submerged, definitely has some tactical uses. Then equip the drone with a suppressed fire capability, or small scale missiles/rockets.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Something must be wrong with me. I see this and the first thought is "When will Amazon start using this for deliveries?"

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When the neighborhood hotties see my drone they jump into the pool to get out of sight. Won't they be surprised when the drone dives in with them.

• Rep+
Reactions: Tokkan

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It would be neat for ocean expiration !

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post

Something must be wrong with me. I see this and the first thought is "When will Amazon start using this for deliveries?"
When we live in cities under the sea!?!?

Sadly, typing the above made me think of spongebob, sigh.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorganic View Post

When we live in cities under the sea!?!?

Sadly, typing the above made me think of spongebob, sigh.
You mean you have never been to Atlantis?
tongue.gif

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Quote:

You mean you have never been to Atlantis?
tongue.gif
The resort in the Bahamas, or the forgotten ancient underwater city?

Interesting idea, what happens if we land this drone in the Atlantis shark tank and take it for a swim? Any bets on what would happen?

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Quote:

The resort in the Bahamas, or the forgotten ancient underwater city?

Interesting idea, what happens if we land this drone in the Atlantis shark tank and take it for a swim? Any bets on what would happen?
The latter. It was really a tongue in cheek joke.

Inside the slide or with the sharks?

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Quote:

The latter. It was really a tongue in cheek joke.

Inside the slide or with the sharks?
I figured it was something like that.

Definitely with the sharks, slide be damned!

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Quote:

I figured it was something like that.

Definitely with the sharks, slide be damned!
I'm sure the shark will bump it with its nose, nibble on it, and then leave it alone when it realizes it's not food.

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure the shark will bump it with its nose, nibble on it, and then leave it alone when it realizes it's not food.
Awww, come on! You mean it will do what it would do to anything in it's close proximity. I was hoping you would spin an intricate yarn about the shark always wanting to fly and somehow retrofitting the drone to fly it to free waters. One can dream I suppose

·
What should be here ?
5,918 Posts
Don't need one until it can take the lady on the grocery shopping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts