Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I think this is an appropriate spot for this news.

I have been waiting for official news about this phone for sometimes, it was referenced most frequently as the G2. Behold the myTouch.

Link.

Quote:
It's finally official: T-Mobile has announced it'll ship the myTouch 3G in early August. It's the phone that's also known as the HTC Magic-the second phone based on Google's Android OS, and the first one that looks to be an impressive handset rather than an intriguing proof of concept. (The G1, the first Android phone is pretty clunky from a hardware standpoint, with battery life that's iffy at best.)

T-Mobile is playing up the idea that the myTouch will be more customizable than the iPhone, via skins, widgets, and other interface tweaks. I haven't seen any of these features, but they sound like a logical enough to the question "So remind me again why I should buy this instead of an iPhone?" Which is a query which every non-Apple smartphone must answer explicitly or implicitly. Palm's Pre does so in part through having a strikingly different form factor than the iPhone; the myTouch looks a bit like a chunkier iPhone (it has a removable battery) with a smaller screen and more buttons and a trackball.
Here is the main page from T-mobile, there are 41 other news links there for your viewing pleasure. Looks pretty sweet, from what I read it will support corporate email accounts to boot! Can't wait to pick mine up, who is with me?!?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
mytouch, iphone, looks like the my name is comming in, too bad the mypod from simpsons rocked that name
, looks nice a nice clean sleek phone, but no more keyboard? looks like everyone is going keyboard less... i hate typing on touch screen.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucdan View Post
mytouch, iphone, looks like the my name is comming in, too bad the mypod from simpsons rocked that name
, looks nice a nice clean sleek phone, but no more keyboard? looks like everyone is going keyboard less... i hate typing on touch screen.
As far as typing on a 'non keyboard' I would have to agree with you it is awkward at first, admittedly I did not care for it. It is just something you get used to I suppose. Never-the-less this thing looks sexy!

·
Registered
337 Posts
It is VERY sexy! I was originally waiting til the end of the summer to see the refreshes in the G1 that I read about. I would constantly say how I wanted a keyboard but then I realized I had an iPhone for about 8 months and I realized I can live without a keyboard.

This phone is DEFINITELY on my radar!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the Vodafone AU equivalent of this phone. Got it about 2-3 weeks ago.

It's a very very nice handset to use, and a great alternative to the iPhone. My one peeve would be the lack of headphone jack - making it ALMOST useless as a portable media player, unless you wanna fork out for the miniUSB to 3.5mm adapter. Google Android is the way of the future!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by my-demise
View Post

I have the Vodafone AU equivalent of this phone. Got it about 2-3 weeks ago.

It's a very very nice handset to use, and a great alternative to the iPhone. My one peeve would be the lack of headphone jack - making it ALMOST useless as a portable media player, unless you wanna fork out for the miniUSB to 3.5mm adapter. Google Android is the way of the future!

How do you find the touch screen on the phone? Does it smug a lot?

I realize it is not the exact phone, just curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts