Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
1689 Federalist
11,736 Posts
Loving the ram speed boost from last gen!

·
Registered
117 Posts
POWER UP!!!

Attachments

·
Professional Lurker
1,136 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
don't care about core count, give me lane counts!

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,392 Posts
Yeah let's go AMD! At this rate Intel are in huge trouble :stitchfac :skull:

Go #TeamRed :mario:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Think on the one sheet it had this for lanes

24 / 16

given they are 4.0 (16 being chipset)

·
mfw
8,623 Posts
I'm glad they're pushing 8K TV's. Soon, we're going to need one just to monitor threads.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,508 Posts
16+4+4.

16 or 8/8 for main (GPU) slots, 4 for NVMe, 4 for chipset that splits into 16 "more" but it is bottle-necked like intel's South Bridge.

Worth noting that the chipset's 4 lanes are PCI-e 4.0 (8GB/s), so if you plug in 3.0 cards into chipset slots, then it is worth x8 total (or x16 of 2.0) before you hit the limit, though that same limit is shared with SATA, most USBs, etc.

·
Grasp of the intangible
12 Posts
Not to throw salt on the thread... (I am an AMD fanboi through and through)... But I have to wonder what they gain from going to PCIe 4? PCIe 3 isn't even being fully utilized in mainstream platforms. I had similar critiques with Nvidia putting out Ray tracing when majority of pc segments aren't even adopting it.. let alone mass producing products for it.

Maybe there is something on the horizon I don't see.. but it seem needless, for the purpose of being "first" to it.

·
Jedi Knight
661 Posts
Not to throw salt on the thread... (I am an AMD fanboi through and through)... But I have to wonder what they gain from going to PCIe 4? PCIe 3 isn't even being fully utilized in mainstream platforms. I had similar critiques with Nvidia putting out Ray tracing when majority of pc segments aren't even adopting it.. let alone mass producing products for it.

Maybe there is something on the horizon I don't see.. but it seem needless, for the purpose of being "first" to it.

Look up PCIe 4.0 NVMe, or better yet PCIe 4.0 NVMe raid. Thank me later after you clean up your.... drool... from your desk.

But If storage speed isn't your thing either then I understand your point lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't get the point of liquid nitrogen... It's not worth the cost and most of us wouldn't be regularly using it to run our PC's.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I don't get the point of liquid nitrogen... It's not worth the cost and most of us wouldn't be regularly using it to run our PC's.
I don't get the point of posts like this.
You came to an enthusiast OC site, we aren't plastering this on your FB feed or anything.
XOC has nothing to do with being practical, should be pretty obvious.

Gotta have it to use it. No point making cards and storage solutions that can use the speed if it's not there. Plus PCIE 4 was ready...why wouldn't you use it? Why would you want your brand new chipset/platform to use the older 3.0?

·
Jedi Knight
661 Posts

I don't get the point of a Ferrari, it cost too much and most of us will be driving Honda Accords.

I don't get the point of penthouse suites. They cost too much and most of us will be staying in motel 6.

I don't get the point of filet mingnon. It cost too much and most of us will be eating pork chops.

I don't get the point of having a fun hobby. No one should have fun doing something they love.

• Rep+
Reactions: papant7

·
Grasp of the intangible
12 Posts
Look up PCIe 4.0 NVMe, or better yet PCIe 4.0 NVMe raid. Thank me later after you clean up your.... drool... from your desk.

But If storage speed isn't your thing either then I understand your point lol.

Storage speed sounds like a creator or commercial need. As a gamer, 4.5gb/s read/write speed seems superfluous when current 2 to 3gbs all ready gives me near instant load. Still gonna build that R9/Navi XT haha.

·
Jedi Knight
661 Posts
Storage speed sounds like a creator or commercial need. As a gamer, 4.5gb/s read/write speed seems superfluous when current 2 to 3gbs all ready gives me near instant load. Still gonna build that R9/Navi XT haha.

Yea I understand, I don't benefit from it in my use case either, but it sure is fun to look at. Really my obsession with it comes from work though where I repair laptops all day with HDD boot drives. Which causes me to bang my head against my desk until I pass out, hoping I'll wake up when this practice has finally gone extinct (and at which point the laptop I'm working on will finally have finished loading)...

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Building your platform around the demands of one person seems silly. What about the content creators? Why can't they benefit from the new desktop platform?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
its the same as drag racing a 1/4 mile. sure, its not practical but it is a lot of fun. :)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
i just said it in another thread, whoever sells us the most lanes @ the lowest cost will get many of our $$$$$

why? cuz of the above. We wanna run 1-2 GPUs @ 16x each + 2-4 NVMe @ 4x each... Why? Cuz some of us like to keep a ton of ultra-fast data on our gaming PC & are tired of the now old & tired SATA SSD raid solutions. ;)

not to mention most of us in the above are @ resolutions where 1-2% CPU nonsense means nothing.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,508 Posts
i just said it in another thread, whoever sells us the most lanes @ the lowest cost will get many of our $$$$$

why? cuz of the above. We wanna run 1-2 GPUs @ 16x each + 2-4 NVMe @ 4x each... Why? Cuz some of us like to keep a ton of ultra-fast data on our gaming PC & are tired of the now old & tired SATA SSD raid solutions. ;)

not to mention most of us in the above are @ resolutions where 1-2% CPU nonsense means nothing.
Threadripper my dude. You aren't going to find what you want on a mainstream platform and you know it.

Dual 1080tis at x16 each, an Optane 900p at x4, an NVMe at x4, a soundcard, and a 2x10gbps NIC off an x8, everything running at full speed and I got two M.2 slots to spare for the future. I turned off everything on the south bridge because I don't use any of it.

Unfortunately that means you'll be waiting until 2020 for TR3 if you want to avoid the NUMA/split die issue, or you can replace your garage space heater with something on X299. Epyc 2 jumped from 128 to 162 lanes, so TR3 will either still have 64 lanes of goodness, or maybe even 80. You can enjoy Quad SLI at x16 each AND have your four NVMe drives, all at full PCI-e 4.0 speed. :whistle:

It's a good time to be an enthusiast. A shame about the GPU world not being as fun.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Threadripper my dude. You aren't going to find what you want on a mainstream platform and you know it.

Dual 1080tis at x16 each, an Optane 900p at x4, an NVMe at x4, a soundcard, and a 2x10gbps NIC off an x8, everything running at full speed and I got two M.2 slots to spare for the future. I turned off everything on the south bridge because I don't use any of it.

Unfortunately that means you'll be waiting until 2020 for TR3 if you want to avoid the NUMA/split die issue, or you can replace your garage space heater with something on X299. Epyc 2 jumped from 128 to 162 lanes, so TR3 will either still have 64 lanes of goodness, or maybe even 80. You can enjoy Quad SLI at x16 each AND have your four NVMe drives, all at full PCI-e 4.0 speed. :whistle:

It's a good time to be an enthusiast. A shame about the GPU world not being as fun.
Kinda wished TR3 wasn't going to be delayed. That really irked me tbh. As it stands right now, I am not willing to jump back to the TR wagon.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts