Overclock.net banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,510 Posts
Why not use IF to connect the chipset to the CPU? Instead of using pcie Lanes.
Backwards compatibility with X370/X470 probably. The reduced complexity of the IO/chipset dies would make it cheaper to produce as well.

The same can be asked of why Navi can not use IF to link to Ryzen 3 when they use it in Vega II Duo (84GB/s bi-directional link on that one btw).

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
Why not use IF to connect the chipset to the CPU? Instead of using pcie Lanes.
for many of the same reasons why dimm slots are so close to the socket; trace length, signal integrity, power and expense.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Just built my 1800x system this past March.

So for me I will wait til this coming March and replace 2 parts in Black Snow. CPU and GPU after the reviews have come out and give me better information to base my upgrades on.

R9 3950x 16core CPU and possibly 5700 XT are the parts I am looking at. Stay on the board and keep the RAM.

For me this is not that difficult a decision as I am running 1st Gen Ryzen and just upgraded the MB and RAM this year. I would love 4.0 PCIe but tbh, it's not a necessity to run it as I doubt that I will pick up a 4.0 NVME device any time soon. And I am not using 2nd Gen Ryzen features on a board that takes advantage of them. :)

Breaking GB Records is not all that impressive. Breaking CB Records is. :thumb:

~Ceadder :drink:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Looks like the ES of 3950Xwas OCed to 4.3Ghz all core with just AIO :)
https://hwbot.org/submission/4176848_blueleader_geekbench4___multi_core_ryzen_9_3950x_61072_points
Overclocked result using AIO water cooler on X470 internal reference board. Board has no bus clock tuning capability. Ryzen 9 3950X engineering sample used. Many people (including press members) witnessed 3950X overclocked performance demonstration at AMD Tech Day on June 8th, 2019 World record re-broken in AMD lab to upload result as required by HWBOT rules
How can it match Quad channel memory in memory bandwidth of 7960X on X299 in same frequency?

·
Programmer
28,675 Posts
Frequency doesn't matter. IPC does. And for those needing lots of cores....core count is vital.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
i just said it in another thread, whoever sells us the most lanes @ the lowest cost will get many of our $$$$$

why? cuz of the above. We wanna run 1-2 GPUs @ 16x each + 2-4 NVMe @ 4x each... Why? Cuz some of us like to keep a ton of ultra-fast data on our gaming PC & are tired of the now old & tired SATA SSD raid solutions. ;)

not to mention most of us in the above are @ resolutions where 1-2% CPU nonsense means nothing.

Scupps, that is not a standard consumer expectations. You're deep into HEDT territory there. Thankfully AMD has something for you, you just have to double down on that mobo price.

·
Meep
5,582 Posts
Thankfully AMD has something for you, you just have to double down on that mobo price.
Honestly, X399 prices aren't much higher than what we're seeing for even just mid range X570 boards.

You can get a ASRock X399 phantom Gaming 6 for less than $250, and that's one of the few boards that can do triple x16.

Combine that with a TR 1900X ($265), and you've got yourself a surprisingly cheap HEDT workstation with a ton of lanes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doubt they'll kill the 1900x Anytime Soon as it's a good design for heavy I/O loads due to the full 64 PCIE lanes. What I suspect is they'll do is continue offering it as it fills the hole between Ryzen 9 and Epyc. Both the 1920 and 1950 threadrippers will dissappear since the 2920 & 2950 are already available for the enthuisist market.

What folks buy the 1900x for is that I/O capabiity as File Servers and such tend to need lots of that. Even makes a solid Web Server (mid range maybe) but still quite useful. I've looked into using one for a home file server - store everything on it with minmal storage on the local machines in the range of 64GB if I can find them with decent specs.

Enough to boot Windows and provide some local storage but everything else on the network.

·
Sarcasm is your friend
137 Posts
Doubt they'll kill the 1900x Anytime Soon as it's a good design for heavy I/O loads due to the full 64 PCIE lanes. What I suspect is they'll do is continue offering it as it fills the hole between Ryzen 9 and Epyc. Both the 1920 and 1950 threadrippers will dissappear since the 2920 & 2950 are already available for the enthuisist market.

What folks buy the 1900x for is that I/O capabiity as File Servers and such tend to need lots of that. Even makes a solid Web Server (mid range maybe) but still quite useful. I've looked into using one for a home file server - store everything on it with minmal storage on the local machines in the range of 64GB if I can find them with decent specs.

Enough to boot Windows and provide some local storage but everything else on the network.
I wouldn't count on TR2 to be around after TR3 is released, TR1 and Ryzen 1000 will still be available because AMD is still making Epyc1.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i just said it in another thread, whoever sells us the most lanes @ the lowest cost will get many of our $$$$$

why? cuz of the above. We wanna run 1-2 GPUs @ 16x each + 2-4 NVMe @ 4x each... Why? Cuz some of us like to keep a ton of ultra-fast data on our gaming PC & are tired of the now old & tired SATA SSD raid solutions. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

not to mention most of us in the above are @ resolutions where 1-2% CPU nonsense means nothing.
If you just want a ton of lanes, a TR 1900X and ASRock X399 phantom Gaming 6(3x x16; 3x x4; 1x x2) can already be had for less than €500 if you buy at the right time, I don't see 62 lanes getting much cheaper any time soon.
Still the MB is x16-x8-x16-x8.

The rest of lanes is for m.2 😞

·
Registered
807 Posts
Still the MB is x16-x8-x16-x8.

The rest of lanes is for m.2 😞
Can the site staff please do something about this S character coding issue? Reading these posts is very difficult.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Why Am I seeing some posts like this lately?
This is happening when people post from a smartphone. The mobile version of the website introduces this bug. The people on the smartphone themselves do not see the problem. It can only be seen when viewing the desktop website on a PC.

·
Overclocker in training
12,943 Posts
Hi,
Not really sure how anyone could deal with all the bloat sludge on ocn mobile anyway
Ublock origin is way too busy blocking all types of crap here just on desktop.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Hi,
Not really sure how anyone could deal with all the bloat sludge on ocn mobile anyway
You request the desktop version and read it on your phone. :)

At least that's what I do anyway. Otherwise as you said, it's a slow-loading hot mess of a site that gives me a headache.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Hi,
I noticed it from my Desktop after posting from Mobile. But it's really not that big a deal. The way to deal with that is to figure out the word context that sets it off and just not use it. iirc, my issue was emotes. Some I could use and others would end up that jumbled mess.

OCN needs to fix the emote feature. Either bring it completely back or just get rid of it. I use them quite often. But if they weren't available, I wouldn't notice it was gone... well I would but it's not that life altering if it's not. :D

~Ceadder :drink:

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Can the site staff please do something about this S character coding issue? Reading these posts is very difficult.

Bug report has been created sometime ago by yours truly. There is nothing Enterprise can do, and VerticalScope isn't interested in any fixes that don't generate more income. Since all of us seem willing to live with it, why bother.

That's not the only glaring issue. Search has no index of threads before the migration. It's nearly useless on modern threads as well. VerticalScope isn't interested in fixing that either.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Makes sense. Why fix a sinking ship when land is nowhere in sight? I mean if we're honest with ourselves, OCN is 10% of what it used to be before the disastrous migration.

·
2,327 Posts
Disabling "enhanced mobile view" seems like easiest fix. It's hot garbage anyway, dunno why it exists at all.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts