Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Stock
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
The M.2 SSD is mounted with a thermal pad so that the adapter card alone can already offer a passive cooling. For the best cooling performance the adapter card can be also used with a passive heat sink made of black anodized aluminum or a water block made of copper. When using these heat sinks a second thermal pad also covers the front side of the M.2 SSD.

The water block offers common G1/4 threads into both directions. The connector terminal is the same as used for Aqua Computers kryographics blocks. This allows using kryoconnect adapter kits to connect several blocks directly with each other.
Source: Link

Wow pretty nifty! I actually just picked up an AngelBird PX1 Heat-sink.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,522 Posts
I don't fully understand all the m.2 sizing's but does this thing look like it will be limited in terms of length for larger capacity m.2 drives?

·
Stock
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

I don't fully understand all the m.2 sizing's but does this thing look like it will be limited in terms of length for larger capacity m.2 drives?
Yea it looks like it's limited to 2280, the 80 being 80mm. Which is pretty standard up to 480-512GB.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Waterblock is a bit overkill imho

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFinside View Post

Complete overkill. You could probably stop the hottest running M.2 drives in existence from ever throttling at all just by attaching the block and not running any water through it.

Of course, most of this stuff is decorative, and plenty of people like having overkill loops with blocks on all sorts of components that don't need them.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Complete overkill. You could probably stop the hottest running M.2 drives in existence from ever throttling at all just by attaching the block and not running any water through it.

Of course, most of this stuff is decorative, and plenty of people like having overkill loops with blocks on all sorts of components that don't need them.
Hehe, too much enthusiasm kills enthusiasm !

·
I <3 narcissists
6,522 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

m.2 nvme drives already fall into the overkill category don't they?

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:

m.2 nvme drives already fall into the overkill category don't they?
If you're not manipulating very large files all day long, yes, definitely.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,522 Posts
Quote:

If you're not manipulating very large files all day long, yes, definitely.
Exactly, so like almost everyone using these things as boot drives. Doesn't change the fact that I want one but I am realistic about the mostly non existent benefit over regular SSD's.... which is why I'm like "why not waterblock it!"

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:

Exactly, so like almost everyone using these things as boot drives. Doesn't change the fact that I want one but I am realistic about the mostly non existent benefit over regular SSD's.... which is why I'm like "why not waterblock it!"
Aqua Computers knows what they're doing i suppose !

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,174 Posts
Quote:

It is compatible with the form factors 2280, 2260 and 2242.

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxbys View Post

Wish you all were making a nickel plated version so it would match all of my EK blocks and not have to see the copper
frown.gif
A nickel plated variant can be purchased since today
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This is stupid..

No one runs i/o intensive tasks from these consumer ssds..

This is another ridiculous vanity item that does jack crap nothing..

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post

This is stupid..

really??? I disagree... As I do

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:

This is stupid..

I don't know. it puts your valuable data under a block of liquid.

yeah I don't have much here. It is pretty laughable. Especially since these are 3W parts, the amount of heat they generate is negligible.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

yeah I don't have much here. It is pretty laughable. Especially since these are 3W parts, the amount of heat they generate is negligible.
the heat they generate is actually enough that they will throttle due to temps!!

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:

This is stupid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

For those of you that don't have experience with M.2 drives; There is absolutely a place for cooling on these devices, as several top tier M.2 SSDs can, and do, thermal throttle.

·
The Sizzler
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post

A nickel plated variant can be purchased since today
wink.gif
Hey I'm game for the passive one. You know when this will be at PPCS? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You don't NEED to water cool anything... that doesn't mean you shouldn't... nor does it make it any less awesome.

I assume this isn't available at any US online retailer?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.