Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
nice.... too bad i plan on switching to wcing... its just more of a pain to oc and get high quality parts for air cooling now-a-days

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
As someone who has invested in a lot of GPU air cooling, I can attest that a lot of times these aftermarket parts are more trouble than they are worth. Sure, the stock fans can be loud, but they cool pretty well.

In my mATX case, my stupid HR-03 takes up 3 (THREE!) slots. And it still doesn't cool VRMs well enough to overclock much. When I pick up a 5970, it's definitely keeping the existing cooler (though, i may try and find a card with an 'upgraded' 3rd party cooler that only takes 2 slots, like vapor-x or something).

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Looks like overkill to me, maybe if you decide to run ln2 on it then you need heatsinks this big.

oh and this was posted by rico already in the ATI section but im not sure if that counts as a repost.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine
View Post

As someone who has invested in a lot of GPU air cooling, I can attest that a lot of times these aftermarket parts are more trouble than they are worth. Sure, the stock fans can be loud, but they cool pretty well.

In my mATX case, my stupid HR-03 takes up 3 (THREE!) slots. And it still doesn't cool VRMs well enough to overclock much. When I pick up a 5970, it's definitely keeping the existing cooler (though, i may try and find a card with an 'upgraded' 3rd party cooler that only takes 2 slots, like vapor-x or something).

You understand that poor VRM cooling in the stock cooler is the suspected culprit for preventing solid 5970 overclocking to 5870 speeds, right?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Awesome, and I am going to assume that the Trad2 GTX will be compatible with the 5870.
I was looking on thier site the other day, and saw these, so I looked up the part for the 4890 VRM cooler, and the holes are 3mm further apart on these... I guess we can only blame ATI for that, but I guess that $30 for one of these isnt too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts