Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
Many gamers without high-end rigs were disappointed to discover the relatively chunky GPU requirements for virtual reality (VR) gaming. But, the good news is that Valve is working to try and lower that threshold considerably.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm curious as to how Valve is thinking of accomplishing this. The main headsets as of now are 2160x1200 and need around 90fps so that it feels natural. Even 60fps at that resolution will be difficult for a lot of old cards. Adaptive quality plugins can only get them so far and old GPUs can only go so far too.

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBiteScares View Post

I'm curious as to how Valve is thinking of accomplishing this. The main headsets as of now are 2160x1200 and need around 90fps so that it feels natural. Even 60fps at that resolution will be difficult for a lot of old cards. Adaptive quality plugins can only get them so far and old GPUs can only go so far too.
Curious myself, I mean if you can't maintain a solid fps motion sickness will be all you'll experience with VR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think there are ways to "trick" our eyes. Nvidia mentioned that they're doing R&D on how to reduce GPU load by learning how the eyes work. For example, normally, our eyes mainly see high details on what we focus on. The eye's peripherals are normally less detailed. We can use that knowledge to use higher graphic fidelity on what the eyes are focusing on and lower, less detailed graphics on the sides of our vision. Also, since most of the things our eyes see overlap between the left and the right eyes, instead of forcing the GPU to render the same things for each eye, the GPU will only render most of what's shared between the left and right eye, once. Basically, this technique lowers the amount of extra pixels that the GPU needs to render. Pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiiankiii View Post

I think there are ways to "trick" our eyes. Nvidia mentioned that they're doing R&D on how to reduce GPU load by learning how the eyes work. For example, normally, our eyes mainly see high details on what we focus on. The eye's peripherals are normally less detailed. We can use that knowledge to use higher graphic fidelity on what the eyes are focusing on and lower, less detailed graphics on the sides of our vision. Also, since most of the things our eyes see overlap between the left and the right eyes, instead of forcing the GPU to render the same things for each eye, the GPU will only render most of what's shared between the left and right eye, once. Basically, this technique lowers the amount of extra pixels that the GPU needs to render. Pretty cool stuff.
Foveated rendering. Here's a good article about it: http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-smi-proves-that-foveated-rendering-is-here-and-it-really-works/

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at this other video and while I like it, does it really work well in close-up areas? ...will blurriness in parts of close up objects or in representations of larger "art" be noticed?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacobs28 View Post

If PS4 is going to do it with the equivalent of a 7950, then PC can bring that to the table too. Some visual trickery no doubt.
Its more like a 7850, which is a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst View Post

Its more like a 7850, which is a pretty big difference.
Thanks for the clarity mate.

My point remains, no matter what kind of card we're talking about - if Sony can do it with software enhancement, then I see no reason that PC couldn't achieve the same.

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
Worse idea everrrrr. Having 290 or 970 min was good so dev know the target min specifications. Goin lower means lower quality games.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacobs28 View Post

If PS4 is going to do it with the equivalent of a 7950, then PC can bring that to the table too. Some visual trickery no doubt.
PlayStation VR includes a box that adds processing power. The PS4 isn't working alone.

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

PlayStation VR includes a box that adds processing power. The PS4 isn't working alone.
nope.exe

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Quote:

The VR Box does the Same thing TV's have been doing for ages now, to turn 60hz into 120-480hz. Frame Interpolation

And most likely will not give users the same effect or latency that true VR would give. Frame Interpolation tends to suck.

But I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
All I want to do is play Portal and Minecraft on VR. The idea that we all need supercomputers to run VR effectively is a sad joke. These people are just shooting themselves in the foot trying to tell 90% of people that their PC is too weak for VR.
Maybe it's not a horrible thing in the end to try and communicate that it's good to have a decent GPU, but it almost feels like they're trying to scare people away.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Quote:

The VR Box does the Same thing TV's have been doing for ages now, to turn 60hz into 120-480hz. Frame Interpolation

And most likely will not give users the same effect or latency that true VR would give. Frame Interpolation tends to suck.

But I guess time will tell.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WvtEXMlQQtI

No, this is nothing like frame interpolation. It actually grabs a new head position twice per frame. PSVR runs with 18ms end to end latency, and it can run games at 120hz. Stuff like Rez should have no problem with that. I'm confident that the base VR experience will actually be best on PSVR because it has the capability of running 30% faster.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts