Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wafer-level SSD could offer major improvements all round

Modern hyperscale datacenters have infinite appetite for storage performance, capacity, and density, which is why multiple new SSD form-factors designed to maximize performance and capacity were introduced in the recent years.

But Kioxia believes that there is a faster and cheaper way to deliver desired solid-state storage solutions to cloud customers: wafer-level SSDs.

With capacities starting at around 50 TBs using current 3D QLC NAND, such devices could offer unbeatable performance.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/incredible-vinyl-like-ssds-could-make-hard-disk-drives-obsolete

·
The 6502 Still Rocks
745 Posts
That's what you need, QLC in your data center. Why didn't I think of sacrificing reliability for density in my data center?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm curious to how they came about this idea. "Hey guys I came to a revolutionary idea when eating pizza this weekend. I wanted to figure out how to eat more pizza without having to do it one piece at a time, so I just ate the whole thing, why don't we do the same thing with wafers?"

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
the OP should include this part on the first post.

In a nutshell, Kioxia proposes to skip dicing, assembly, chip packaging, and SSD drive assembly, but use a whole wafer with 3D NAND instead.
why yes, lets go back to square one... err round one, round platters for storage!!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Whole Wafer SSD sounds like a health food.

·
Politically incorrect
9,215 Posts
50 TBs using current 3D QLC
For server data that is static and only is only read such as games at a price lower than HDD's?? Excellent! My server is looking forward to it.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
the OP should include this part on the first post.

why yes, lets go back to square one... err round one, round platters for storage!!
just take the whole wafer and stick it in the form factor, then stack them!

what happens when this logic starts to fail?

and like, hard drives are mostly obsolete right now if budget isn't an issue. or does flash not scale at enterprise levels?

·
mfw
8,622 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to do wafer scale. At high densities, wafer defects are more common. One of the advantages AMD has over Intel is that chiplets are smaller than whole die CPUs. Essentially chiplets mean get to cut out defect areas of the wafer and still get plenty of useful chiplets. The odds of getting a defect free chip diminish rapidly as the area of the chip increases. This is also the reason Samsung makes great OLED phone screens but could not make a cost effective large screen OLED TV with the same technology.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm looking at a 2x5.25 inch hdd right now (It is a Seagate ST4182E, 160MB strong). Why go to 3.5 inch? Just skip right to an Antec 900 filled to the brim with 5.25 inch ssds!

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,232 Posts
O_O

ALL THESE SQUARES MAKE A CIRCLE...

·
Jedi Knight
661 Posts
O_O

Yes! It's finally perfect!!!.......... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

·
Robotic Chemist
2,927 Posts
Hard to do wafer scale. At high densities, wafer defects are more common.
They do plan to test it and not use any with defects, the 100% wafers would probably sell for more but they can still use the ones with issues. Instead of cutting it up and throwing out that section just don't hook it up.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well my HDD is 1 of the only "loud" parts of my rig. So I won't mind, as long as the replacements last a long time too.

·
WaterCooler
3,445 Posts
and like, hard drives are mostly obsolete right now if budget isn't an issue. or does flash not scale at enterprise levels?
I wondered about flash at an enterprise level too. I'm not really in that space in the IT orgs I've been in, so I honestly have no idea what they have been doing.

They do plan to test it and not use any with defects, the 100% wafers would probably sell for more but they can still use the ones with issues. Instead of cutting it up and throwing out that section just don't hook it up.
Yeah, makes sense. It's just like binning or GPU tiers where it might be the same chip with broken or disabled cores to make a lower tiered product.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
I wondered about flash at an enterprise level too. I'm not really in that space in the IT orgs I've been in, so I honestly have no idea what they have been doing.
Hard drives are still the most practical solution. A 16TB SAS drive is ~$420, 18/20TB drives are going to be out this year.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I need to upgrade the HDD's in my server. 3TB drives just aren't cutting it anymore plus running 17 of them is a PIA

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,962 Posts
Hard drives are still the most practical solution. A 16TB SAS drive is ~$420, 18/20TB drives are going to be out this year.
Until it dies and takes a week to rebuild.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts