Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Soundcloud, the site which aims to be YouTube for music and audio content, is in financial trouble, having lost €62.1m (£48.2m/$70.3m USD/$98.7m AUS) over two years.

Ars Technica reports that the board of directors has warned of "material uncertainties facing the business".

The reason? Despite having around 175m users by the end of 2014, the average revenue per user was just 11.2 cents. Yikes.
Source

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I`m not surprised, they cant even manage to create a close application button on android, you have to close force kill the application
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Well, if they added some sort of subscription model (the likes of pay a couple or three quid a month and get access to more-than-128kbps content) it might work out for them.

I use SoundCloud a lot, but there's hardly any way to contribute to their revenue that I find appealing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have 2.5 GB (lossy) of music on my phone, all the music I actually like and want to listen to. When I feel like listening to something new I have this product called a radio. I just don't see the appeal to a music "youtube".

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst View Post

Linus mentioned something interesting in their last wan show. Apparently SC has over 100 employees making an average of 79k a year.
They're spending $17.9m per year on salaries and an average salary of $79k, which puts them around 220 employees

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like the soundcloud website! I wasn't aware they sell anything!

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

I wasn't aware they sell anything!
I think this is the general feeling.

Unless they get a cut from itunes or BeatPort purchases...

In which case they won't get anything from me, don't use either of those services.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Uhm, someone please enlighten me, what should they be making money off? I haven't seen any ads, nor any "pay me for this" kinda stuff.
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
6,441 Posts
They will need to incorporate either a subscription service or something else to make them appeal to a broader audience. As it stands, Spotify and Youtube are destroying them.

·
Lord Sleepsalot
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Uhm, someone please enlighten me, what should they be making money off? I haven't seen any ads, nor any "pay me for this" kinda stuff.
rolleyes.gif
AdBlock?
lachen.gif

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzle View Post

AdBlock?
lachen.gif
Adblock? You mean do I use one? No.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

I can't get past their horrendous compression - it's the worst I hear these days, I don't go there enough to pay for anything better though. Unfortunately they aren't going to solve their problems with any of my money.
On the website, the music sounds pretty good to me? To be fair, I never tried listening to it with my real headphones.

Do they force re-encoding or max bandwidth requirements with specific codecs of some sort?

·
Banned
6,632 Posts
Quote:

I can't get past their horrendous compression - it's the worst I hear these days, I don't go there enough to pay for anything better though. Unfortunately they aren't going to solve their problems with any of my money.
The compression is significantly better when compared to YouTube.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:

Are you using a mobile device ? Early versions of the app had a high quality option ( not sure if the desktop does ). I listen with decent speakers and the desktop version sounds absolutely fine ( not 320kbps MP3 ) but more like 160 - 190kbps level.

I just use it to listen to stuff i like thats fun but if there is a really great track eventually i will buy it FLAC or 320kbps MP3.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:

Strange. I have no trouble with the quality, plenty acceptable IMO.

You can clearly hear that it's chopped (which suggests 256kb or 320kbps VBR MP3), but it's certainly not horrible.

(high 5 for county bros!)

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

I have 2.5 GB (lossy) of music on my phone, all the music I actually like and want to listen to. When I feel like listening to something new I have this product called a radio. I just don't see the appeal to a music "youtube".
Most radio stations you're lucky to get top 40 music, usually it's top 20. How does one discover new music outside of what has been carefully curated to be easily sold to the masses? Most radio stations won't go into music that can't be easily catered to (lowest common denominator) because if they can't prove a number of people tune into it, advertising revenue will steadily wither away and now you have a dead radio station, and all the others then go "see, don't go outside the comfort box, you'll be just like (insert now dead radio station here)". Even satellite radio can suffer this same problem, although nowhere near to the effects that traditional AM and FM stations do.

Internet radio is of course a different thing and there's plenty of choices out there (Soma.fm, di.fm, etc) but you just said "radio" and I therefore assumed you were referring to the "traditional" radio medium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

rolleyes.gif
They take a cut off of any single or album sales made by the artists. As well, there are several plans artists can pay for that provide more storage (free only gives something small like an hour).... errr, my bad, free gets three hours of uploaded content. You can get six hours total by paying $6/month (or $55/yr) or unlimited with $16/mo ($145/yr).

One of the biggest problems they've faced regarding revenue as of late though is that several other services do a much better job while actually protecting the intellectual rights of artists who've submitted. Or something, there's been ongoing back and forth sillyness with a number of factions (but specifically dj's) that's caused at least two mass exoduses from their service. A number of djs signed up to their service (and paid) to use it as a promotional service, only to have their content removed with no answer, or being told their original work was actually from someone else when it actually was of their own work.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

I've only been to soundcloud a few times and watch some youtube promos, but I get most of my music from bandcamp (probably just finished downloading 2.5 GB).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts