Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're curious about the specifications of the NUC, you can check its Intel ARK page, which will probably tell you most of what you want to know. The short version is that the reviewed kit comes with the faster of the two existing Kaby Lake-G chips (the Core i7-8809G). That part carries the hottest integrated Radeon in Intel's lineup so far: the RX Vega M GH. That chip's connected to two DDR4 SO-DIMM slots supporting memory at 2400 MT/s or faster, and to a pair of PCIe 3.0 x4-only M.2 sockets for storage expansion. The NUC comes with every whiz-bang connectivity option you could imagine, including two Thunderbolt 3 ports, dual Gigabit Ethernet, a plethora of USB 3.0 Type-A ports, a USB 3.0 Type-C port, and even an optical audio out.
The first benches for Intel's Hades Canyon Nuc.

(My first news thread, hope I did it right)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
So what's the estimated price of something with this i7?

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts

·
Moderately Ancient
369 Posts
$1000. You have to add storage and RAM.
I just configured one from Simply NUC (model: NUC8i7HVK) and including windows 10 home, 16gb ram and a 512gb SSD the price came out to be $1610. If you wanted to buy just the bare bones version without any storage, ram, or software... its $1200 USD

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
I just configured one from Simply NUC (model: NUC8i7HVK) and including windows 10 home, 16gb ram and a 512gb SSD the price came out to be $1610. If you wanted to buy just the bare bones version without any storage, ram, or software... its $1200 USD
too expensive for what it's worth, an equivalent performing laptop would've cost the same with RAM and SSD included.

it would've been better if it was slightly bulkier though, the cooling in particular could've used some better heatsink, better yet equip two 120mm fans instead.
if i had to point out a notable and elaborate compact high-performance device that didn't sacrifice cooling, then Apple's Mac Pro (5.55L) would've taken the cake.

·
Moderately Ancient
369 Posts
The trash can Mac?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
too expensive for what it's worth, an equivalent performing laptop would've cost the same with RAM and SSD included.

it would've been better if it was slightly bulkier though, the cooling in particular could've used some better heatsink, better yet equip two 120mm fans instead.
if i had to point out a notable and elaborate compact high-performance device that didn't sacrifice cooling, then Apple's Mac Pro (5.55L) would've taken the cake.
These are a great deal tougher than laptops and designed to be used as minimum-complexity semi-embedded computers. The kind of thing you run a telescope with, etc.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
The trash can Mac?
yeah that one, it's design simply makes it compact while maximizing the hardware that can be equipped.

These are a great deal tougher than laptops and designed to be used as minimum-complexity semi-embedded computers. The kind of thing you run a telescope with, etc.
yeah but it doesn't come with the convenient add-ons of a laptop, namely it's battery operated function and on some models it's touch screen function.
to point out, laptops can be used as a stand-alone fully-portable interface unit.

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
Well looks better to me than the AMD based APUs because AMD sold out and gave the fastest VEGA to Intel instead of using it themselves in their own APUs... Oh well, the depths AMD is willing to go to compete with Nvidia, give Intel the best GPU for APUs they have along with with their top engineers, what a sweet deal that must have been.

Overall the APU looks like an afterthought bolt on as expected, they kept the Intel iGPU too, unwilling to redesign to shrink the die.

Why is the OP linking to TechReport I have no idea when the review is on Playwares.

Those prices for NUC are insane. Hopefully they sell the APU and boards separate for DIY. Otherwise it's mostly non tech companies that might be willing to buy these things if they need the extra GPU power at all.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
Well looks better to me than the AMD based APUs because AMD sold out and gave the fastest VEGA to Intel instead of using it themselves in their own APUs... Oh well, the depths AMD is willing to go to compete with Nvidia, give Intel the best GPU for APUs they have along with with their top engineers, what a sweet deal that must have been.

Overall the APU looks like an afterthought bolt on as expected, they kept the Intel iGPU too, unwilling to redesign to shrink the die.
technically AMD's APU was intended to be low-cost solutions, its also why they tend to make it a small chip (210mm² instead of a hulking 400mm² die).

·
Registered
116 Posts

Why is the OP linking to TechReport I have no idea when the review is on Playwares.

Those prices for NUC are insane. Hopefully they sell the APU and boards separate for DIY. Otherwise it's mostly non tech companies that might be willing to buy these things if they need the extra GPU power at all.

As has been pointed out many times, again and again, this is NOT a APU. There is a full intel CPU and full AMD GPU+HBM attached to a interposer. Its all soldered, there is no socket and no you will not be able to buy this thing separate, since as I just pointed out its all soldered. AMD is literally just selling finished and packaged GPU chips straight from GloFo to Intel, like they would any board partner.

·
2,327 Posts
Best GPU is in Xbox One X (it's basically RX 590 when Vega M is RX 570). Anyway Vega is old news, new consoles are likely to have Zen 2 and Navi. There's not much profit to be made with APUs elsewhere.
Because it's in Korean?

·
Registered
312 Posts
So per Playwares review, it has Geekbench MT score in the 17000 - 18000 range? And my 7940x, which has 3,5x more core at similar frequency (4,1GHz all-core turbo) scored around 36000? How, why? Any idea what is going on?
The Cinebench scores seem to be in-line with what is expected, both in case of this CPU and my system, but Geekbench...does not compute...

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts

The AMD APU cost $100-180. This chip would likely cost something like $600-700, except that it has no consumer price because it's a custom chip;

https://ark.intel.com/products/1304...RX-Vega-M-GH-graphics-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

The intel iGPU uses less power for basic things like the desktop, same reason all those laptops with nVidia cards do not have the iGPU removed.

The chip and board will not be sold separately, as they are BGA. There may be some used in laptops, but likely not anyone that would fall under "DIY".

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
The chip and board will not be sold separately, as they are BGA. There may be some used in laptops, but likely not anyone that would fall under "DIY".
i think its possible with an embedded board, remember those atom ITX boards?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
i think its possible with an embedded board, remember those atom ITX boards?

Oh probably, but when I hear "DIY" i think, like, Digital Storm, or a hobby shop, not companies like ASUS that make their own motherboards.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
well yeah, those embedded boards weren't really that widespread.

though on that note, if they were ever to go with an embedded solution i hope they'd go with an external brick, +18V DC for example.
this way i could just go without worrying about the bulky powersupply, and better yet run it on batteries via DC-DC converters.

on a side note, that image example in particular is interesting.
it supports LGA775 heatsink mounting so its possible to ship it with a cheap but usable aluminum cooler, while letting users swap it to what they want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts