Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
The individual DDR4 dies are capable of transferring data at up to 2667Mbps, or 333MB/s. According to Samsung, that's a 25% increase over the top speed of equivalent DDR3 offerings. Impressively, the DDR4 chips offer higher performance than DDR3 while consuming 30% less power. Datacenter operators may appreciate the power savings even more than the performance boost.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
awesomesauce. do want

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker22dallas View Post

awesomesauce. do want
What for? Do you have a DDR4 memory controller?
tongue.gif

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunneY View Post

I can only imagine how expensive DDR4 is going to be when it comes down the pipe for consumers.... Makes me both very excited and very sad!
I dont think that much more really. DDR3 dropped fast in price. DDR3 for other then Core i7+ was pointless.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtcent View Post

Where does one acquire this?
Be an engineer at Intel, Samsung, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I dont think that much more really. DDR3 dropped fast in price. DDR3 for other then Core i7+ was pointless.
It took DDR3 1-2 years to match DDR2 prices....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

What for? Do you have a DDR4 memory controller?
tongue.gif
not yet, but doesn't change the fact that faster ram would be cool, especially 128GB of fast ram in 4 slots LOL!

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Quote:

Be an engineer at Intel, Samsung, etc.
It took DDR3 1-2 years to match DDR2 prices....
Which is nothing really because DDR3 was only usable for high end X48/790i with MB costing a arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Which is nothing really because DDR3 was only usable for high end X48/790i with MB costing a arm and a leg.
DDR3 support pre-dated X48 and 790i by almost a year. These two chipset came out in March 2008. However, the P35 and G33 supported DDR3 since June 2007. X38 also supported it in Sept 2007.

The first major implementation DDR3 were actually in OEM systems.... not high-end systems. I recall working on a G33-based Dell with DDR3 that my mother-in-law got in 2007.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
why is samsung so much better at a wide range of hardware than anyone else? are they monopolizing all the smartest engineers or something

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

why is samsung so much better at a wide range of hardware than anyone else? are they monopolizing all the smartest engineers or something
No, they just have much better experience in marketing... especially in the last 3-5 years.

Hynix, Elpida, Micron, and Winbond aren't exactly well-known to the general consumers.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Quote:

No, they just have much better experience in marketing... especially in the last 3-5 years.

Hynix, Elpida, Micron, and Winbond aren't exactly well-known to the general consumers.
yeah but those are just ram manufacturers. samsung excels there, dominates arm production, high-ppi displays, hard drives etc

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:

yeah but those are just ram manufacturers. samsung excels there, dominates arm production, high-ppi displays, hard drives etc
My guess is probably good management.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:

Are you sure you're not confusing DDR3 with channel count (dual channel, triple channel, etc)? Because only core i7 chips could take advantage of triple channel RAM, everything else below that was dual channel.

My apologies if I misread, though.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfoodnow View Post

My guess is probably good management.
A lot of it has to do with marketing or perception... other companies have DDR4 in production as well. Other companies even has ReRAM and PRAM shipping. We just don't hear about them as much.

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bR0ken_pr0Jector View Post

Are you sure you're not confusing DDR3 with channel count (dual channel, triple channel, etc)? Because only core i7 chips could take advantage of triple channel RAM, everything else below that was dual channel.

My apologies if I misread, though.
The memory management in Core 2 platform did not take advantage of DDR3 bandwidth the way Core i7 integrated memory controller did.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

The memory management in Core 2 platform did not take advantage of DDR3 bandwidth the way Core i7 integrated memory controller did.
True, but that does not mean the Core 2 platform did not use/support DDR3.

·
Null
6,330 Posts
Quote:

Samsung gets first picks from the top graduates in Korea

1 - 20 of 57 Posts