Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

In a follow up to last week’s story, it appears there have been some new developments in the scuffle between Microsoft and Apple over the former’s laptop hunter campaign. If you recall, Apple contacted Microsoft and put some pressure on them to pull their ads or at least change them, frustrated over the use of outdated pricing. Initially defiant, Redmond said they had no intention of ceasing them. According to AdAge, however, who has been watching Microsoft's laptop campaign, at least one advertisement has been changed.

Though not completely pulled, a revised version of one of Microsoft's commercials has made its way to YouTube, with the original disappearing. The new version makes no mention of exact prices anymore, this time only inferring that going Mac would be the pricier route. Microsoft commented to AdAge, informing them that the ads were updated only to reflect pricing, and their core campaign will still demonstrate a better value in choosing a PC. Now the question is whether or not Apple truly thinks the situation is worth heading over to the courts, or if this is the last we will hear of it.

http://www.techspot.com/news/35588-a...aptop-ads.html

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan
View Post

Money exchanged hands. That's the only way.

probably. this kind of sucks though it was nice to see Microsoft fight back. Microsoft doesnt really need these commercials though

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
If you were to get a £2999 laptop, it would be much, MUCH better than any Apple laptop on the market.

(Note: I refuse to call Apples laptops whatever they think it should be called. It's a laptop, not iMacPhone3G)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Screw you, Apple, you douchebags.

You make the most false and misleading commercials imaginible about windows, and then MS makes commercials which are essentially truth besides the fact that they were recorded before your price drops, and you cry about it. Freaking LAME.

QQ, Apple, QQ.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Meh, they were lame commercials anyway. They were uncreative and just as "deceptive" (I'm using that term very loosely) as the apple ads are said to be.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Well, im sure that they were legally required to change the ad. If they say specific prices on MACs and they're not really priced that anymore, then you're advertising something false. They're saying macs are "exactly this much more expensive" instead of just being "more expensive." I can see the reasoning behind the logic for changing, but they WERE more effective when they could give exact prices.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Not too concerned, I like that Windows was giving back what Apple dished out.
I hate seeing lesser computer litterate people being persuaded by anything they hear.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowatt
View Post

probably. this kind of sucks though it was nice to see Microsoft fight back. Microsoft doesnt really need these commercials though

They really don't but that's the direction they're taking (and have to take). Real PC users know which is best for them, but imagine someone that's never owned a computer. They see all these ads from Apple talking down PCs and Apple Stores popping everywhere, what do you think the first computer they check out is going to be? I used to work for Apple, that is the audience they target most, the ignorant. This is also why Windows is planning on opening stores similar to Apple Stores.

They'll never loose us true PC fans, but there is little hope for the future generations without some changes to their marketing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan
View Post

Money exchanged hands. That's the only way.

Or, Microsoft's lawyers said that they'd lose any lawsuit, and advised the advertising firm to cut out that part.

No, not everything is a grand conspiracy.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant
View Post

They really don't but that's the direction they're taking. Real PC users know which is best for them, but imagine someone that's never owned a computer. They see all these ads from Apple talking down PCs and Apple Stores popping everywhere, what do you think the first computer they check out is going to be? I used to work for Apple, that is the audience they target most, the ignorant. This is also why Windows is planning on opening stores similar to Apple Stores.

They'll never loose us true PC fans, but there is little hope for the future generations without some changes to their marketing.

Totally agree with you it seems majority of the people that do end up getting a apple pc/laptop don't really know much about it, maybe to them its like the "lamborghini" of PCs thinking they would get what they pay for with top $$$$ involved.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:

View Post

They really don't but that's the direction they're taking. Real PC users know which is best for them, but imagine someone that's never owned a computer. They see all these ads from Apple talking down PCs and Apple Stores popping everywhere, what do you think the first computer they check out is going to be? I used to work for Apple, that is the audience they target most, the ignorant. This is also why Windows is planning on opening stores similar to Apple Stores.

And just think, it is the hatred of Apple that brought us PC users all closer together

All I see is years of M$'s Monopoly made them lazy in reaching out to the consumers. Apple on the other hand all of a sudden starts these memorable advertising campaigns, factual commercials or not still reached out to what their fan base is now, users who want simplicity.

PC's on the other hand are such difficult machines to deal with. They are so crash/virus prone and terrible. Or at least that's Apple wants people to think. Blame M$ for not giving a proper image of their products.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader
View Post

And just think, it is the hatred of Apple that brought us PC users all closer together

All I see is years of M$'s Monopoly made them lazy in reaching out to the consumers. Apple on the other hand all of a sudden starts these memorable advertising campaigns, factual commercials or not still reached out to what their fan base is now, users who want simplicity.

PC's on the other hand are such difficult machines to deal with. They are so crash/virus prone and terrible. Or at least that's Apple wants people to think. Blame M$ for not giving a proper image of their products.

No doubt there, but that's because they really didn't have to worry about anything until the release of the MacBook. They were lazy in the past and now they have to pay for it. The whole virus/crashing thing is so overplayed it's hilarious. I've ran free anti-virus/firewall programs since I've used a PC and have never had a major problem. The only time my computer crashes is when I try to boot into Windows with a 4.0+GHz overclock with too low of volts. The problem is people will download anything off the internet without a second guess. If a person is too lazy to read up on what it takes to keep a computer running and how to keep your computer safe, then they can go a head and pay the price tag of a Mac.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
w/e its still possible to build a hakintosh thats better than a mac pro for at least 800$ less. Microshaft does have it right that Macs are over priced. Linux>*

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J
View Post

w/e its still possible to build a hakintosh thats better than a mac pro for at least 800$ less. Microshaft does have it right that Macs are over priced. Linux>*

Or, you can build a custom PC that destroys a Dell workstation for $800 less.. Your point?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Know what would be great? If Microsoft made a commercial about Apple complaining about this and how they changed their commercial to satisfy them.

A: "Hi, I'm a Mac"
B: "And I'm a PC"
A: "Hey PC, stop using the old prices for our computers in your ad"
B: "Ok, but you still cost more than a PC of better value"
A: "Don't make me sue you"
B: "How about we sue you for that monopoly you call the App Store?:
A: *runs away*

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No doubt there, but that's because they really didn't have to worry about anything until the release of the MacBook. They were lazy in the past and now they have to pay for it. The whole virus/crashing thing is so overplayed it's hilarious. I've ran free anti-virus/firewall programs since I've used a PC and have never had a major problem. The only time my computer crashes is when I try to boot into Windows with a 4.0+GHz overclock with too low of volts. The problem is people will download anything off the internet without a second guess. If a person is too lazy to read up on what it takes to keep a computer running and how to keep your computer safe, then they can go a head and pay the price tag of a Mac.

Good to see we're on the same track. I myself don't even use anti virus/firewall and i'm getting along just fine.

But like you said. People won't mind paying the bigger price tag of the mac for what they think is a good premium over the PC. This is what PC fan boys should stop QQing that their beloved company Microsoft is losing a few customers to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelouch
View Post

Or, you can build a custom PC that destroys a Dell workstation for $800 less.. Your point?

You fail to see the difference in workstations and pc's then.

You buy a workstation computer for the superior quality, customer support, warranty and usually for stacked discounts when companies buy them in large quantities.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts