Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Flash is faster and much more efficient than HTML5 on mobile phones, according to a post by Web developer Christopher Black. His conclusion is as follows: "HTML5 will sit side by side with Flash. Gradient fonts, drop shadows, basic video and simple transitions are probably better suited for HTML5. When it comes to rendering display objects, animation and digital rights management for video, it would be silly not to use Flash."

His statements are based on running benchmark tests on iOS and Android devices. Black played the same animation on an iPod touch, an iPhone 4, and a Nexus One using HTML5, and then again using Flash 10.1 on the Nexus One. The results, in Frames Per Second (FPS), are pretty self-explanatory: 22FPS for the iPhone 4G, 24FPS for the iPod Touch 4, 40FPS for the Nexus One running HTML5, and 57 FPS for the Nexus One running Flash.
Source

Lol @ iPhone 4 losing to the Nexus One in performance (2:1).

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
*popcorn*

are there many OSes with flash natively or via an official plugin? i know it's been a problem on iOS as of late, and the Froyo builds of Android also had some problems with Flash...

·
Banned
115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
Flash 10.1 is ultra optimized. HTML5 is not even fully supported yet.

Give it a bit of time.
exactly. HTML5 isn't even a fully supported thing, and people are already jumping on the hate bandwagon against it because an alpha-alpha test doesn't work as well as a ultra-optimized 10 year old flash? Give me a break....

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The advantages to HTML5 over flash are more than just that though. It's an open standard, it's much more accesable and loads of other stuff. Yes, speed is nice, but Flash is a bad thing, we really don't want to be trapped into a proprietary system again.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovetskikh View Post
exactly. HTML5 isn't even a fully supported thing, and people are already jumping on the hate bandwagon against it because an alpha-alpha test doesn't work as well as a ultra-optimized 10 year old flash? Give me a break....
Well... isn't that the point? Why stop using Flash as it is optimized? Why not use Flash until HTLM5 is better defined and optimized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
The advantages to HTML5 over flash are more than just that though. It's an open standard, it's much more accesable and loads of other stuff. Yes, speed is nice, but Flash is a bad thing, we really don't want to be trapped into a proprietary system again.
H.264 is not an open standard though. Flash is also faster at enhancements. HTML5 changes have to go through a much longer approval process. In fact, HTML5 won't be finalized until 2021? I believe.

I am in favor of HTML5 but realize that there are benefits to both Flash and HTML5.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Well... isn't that the point? Why stop using Flash as it is optimized? Why not use Flash until HTLM5 is better defined and optimized.

H.264 is not an open standard though. Flash is also faster at enhancements. HTML5 changes have to go through a much longer approval process. In fact, HTML5 won't be finalized until 2021? I believe.

I am in favor of HTML5 but realize that there are benefits to both Flash and HTML5.
This is very much true - and that's the whole reason H.264 isn't supported under Firefox. Hopefully we'll see a decent video codec that is open soon, but unfortunately Theora just can't cut it at the moment. I havn't seen much from webm recently. It's a shame, as it's based on matroska for the container, which is a great container, and it'd be great to see an open codec.

Yes, a proprietary system is controlled in a quicker way - it's part of it, but open standards really are better for everyone. They can make bad decisions just as quickly as good ones with Flash, HTML is controlled by the W3C that should mean that the standards are well thought out and practical.

Flash has it's fair share of drawbacks, and I'm not saying HTML5 doesn't. It's not implemented across the board, there are problems with browser support for codecs, etc...

Flash is not going away any time soon, this is true, but what we should be doing is, when it is possible, switching. We need to use the better tech, not get stuck in old ways.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

This is very much true - and that's the whole reason H.264 isn't supported under Firefox. Hopefully we'll see a decent video codec that is open soon, but unfortunately Theora just can't cut it at the moment. I havn't seen much from webm recently. It's a shame, as it's based on matroska for the container, which is a great container, and it'd be great to see an open codec.

Yes, a proprietary system is controlled in a quicker way - it's part of it, but open standards really are better for everyone. They can make bad decisions just as quickly as good ones with Flash, HTML is controlled by the W3C that should mean that the standards are well thought out and practical.

Flash has it's fair share of drawbacks, and I'm not saying HTML5 doesn't. It's not implemented across the board, there are problems with browser support for codecs, etc...

Flash is not going away any time soon, this is true, but what we should be doing is, when it is possible, switching. We need to use the better tech, not get stuck in old ways.
In complete agreement!

People have to just be careful in the belief that open source is always better/best for everything.

The H.264 Committee did explicitly announce that the codec will be free for non-commercial use forever.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
In complete agreement!

People have to just be careful in the belief that open source is always better/best for everything.

The H.264 Committee did explicitly announce that the codec will be free for non-commercial use forever.
I'm not one of those GNU people that believe closed source software is evil and bad. I just like the idea of open source software, and try to use it where I can.

I'll happily install the closed nVidia drivers if it gets me better performance, or use H.264 for my video if it's better.

The problem with 'free for non-commercial use forever' is all the little loopholes, patents, lawsuits and stuff that goes with it. I'm not saying it'll happen that way... but it could. You know, someone wants to put up a video on their blog, uses h264, and has an advert, gets sued for X millions.

Generally though, I get what you mean, but all other things equal, I'll pick FOSS every time.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
Flash 10.1 is ultra optimized. HTML5 is not even fully supported yet.

Give it a bit of time.
Flash has a 10+ year head start...

·
Banned
2,217 Posts
Quote:

The World Wide Web Consortium Isn't a group of magical elves. They decided on the HTML standard but not all browsers interpret it the same way. Whereas Flash is Flash. It is interpreted he same each time.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzO View Post
Sucks that I can't even watch Youtube videos on my iPad.
You can't? That's news to me... Everything plays just fine via HTML5...

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki View Post
This is what makes articles like this so much fail. You take HTML5 and explain Flash is faster as if it's some kind of revelation.

Obvious is obvious?

You underestimate the influence that Steve Jobs has.

Ask anyone with a iPhone/iPod and they'll probably tell you that not only is flash slower than HTML5, but that it also crashes a lot and gives you worse battery life.

None of those are true, thats what this article is pointing out.

When I had my iPod I used the Justin.tv app to watch tv. Now with my HTC Desire I just go to the website. Its much easier, and video quality is actually better.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,149 Posts
I'd like to see HTML5 video at 480, 720p and then flash video at 480, 720p rather than just some animation in a web browser. The main complaint against flash is that it is an inefficient video player (/ codec?).

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viridian
View Post

The World Wide Web Consortium Isn't a group of magical elves. They decided on the HTML standard but not all browsers interpret it the same way. Whereas Flash is Flash. It is interpreted he same each time.

I didn't say they were. And that's not true. Run Gnash or whatever and it is diferent, it's just that 99% of the time people use the official flash release, so it's considered standard, as where not all users use the same browser.

Ideally, all browsers render the standard they way it describes to the letter - that is not always the case, but so it goes. The point is that an open standard like HTML is better as it means anyone can impliment it, so you are not tied to an implementation or reverse-engineering like flash - meaning that you only get flash if adobe decide to give it to you.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
from daring fireball:

Quote:

Not So Fast on That Demo Purporting to Show That Flash Player Is Faster Than HTML5 Canvas on Mobile Devices
Ends up the “HTML5†test was really, really poorly coded. Here’s a version that gets 45 FPS on my iPhone 4. Pays to be skeptical of any claim that Flash Player works well on mobile devices.

Update: Here’s another tweaked version of the canvas demo, this one from Charles Ying, that updates the FPS counter less frequently (to match the Flash version), which performs even better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts