Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE
Quote:
A month after US President Barack Obama publicly came out in support of net neutrality, asking the FCC to reclassify broadband as a public utility, several of the country's biggest names in technology have come out against the proposal, saying that the move would negatively impact broadband infrastructure investment.
 

·
Getting used to 'new'
Joined
·
5,126 Posts
Nice find. Can't wait for everyone to post a comment without knowing a thing about what this means.

I would just like to point out one thing:
Quote:
no blocking of any content or service so long as it's legal; no throttling of content based on its type or ISP preferences; increased transparency across internet delivery networks; and no paid prioritization of content or services.
Who can reject that? I understand they might not be in favor of the entire bill/law/legislation (whatever it is right now), but you can't disagree to that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

I would just like to point out one thing:
Quote:
no blocking of any content or service so long as it's legal
Who can reject that? I understand they might not be in favor of the entire bill/law/legislation (whatever it is right now), but you can't disagree to that.
Until someone uploads a copyrighted work to YouTube and they use it as an excuse to block/throttle YouTube.

Don't be so short-sighted.
 

·
Getting used to 'new'
Joined
·
5,126 Posts
Hmm... Nice point. They will find ways to get around that somehow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Hmm... Nice point. They will find ways to get around that somehow.
Sadly certain tech companies have proven themselves to not have the best interest of consumers in mind; this is why we must demand absolute net neutrality.
 

·
Linux > All
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
What investment are they making exactly. If they were making investments the amount of deadzones and or severely underserved areas would get better service as time goes by. I know in my case my whole area is a deadzone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Until someone uploads a copyrighted work to YouTube and they use it as an excuse to block/throttle YouTube.

Don't be so short-sighted.
God help you if you're a DJ, especially a beginner like myself. You wouldn't be able to upload mixes and promote yourself since every song you'd have to play to even receive minuscule amounts of attention are copyrighted straight to hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by source
"Title II would lead to a slowdown, if not a hold, in broadband buildout, because if you don't know that you can recover on your investment, you won't make it," the letter said, warning that broadband reclassification could result in an estimated loss of between $28.1 and $45.4 billion in Internet-related capital investment over the course of next five years.
If we can't screw our customers like a cheap fluzy, we won't "invest" as much as we have been. Our yachts need investing!.. cause we sure the hell aren't seeing investments in anything related to serving the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by source
Last month, AT&T announced that it would pause the rollout of its high-speed fiber network until net neutrality rules are decided, although the company later clarified that the plans related to new commitments, not existing ones.
Screw our customers just in case? Or at best screw our potential customers just in case. ATT has some of the worst price/connection around around here... second or third to $10 dial up and satellite/LoS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by source
The news also come just days after German Chancellor Angela Merkel came out in support of creating a two-tier Internet, arguing that that fast lanes are necessary for assuring a "predictable standard of quality," which is key to the development of new, advanced Internet services, like telemedicine, driverless cars, and others.
Sorry, Germany, but you need to keep this guy to yourselves.
tongue.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post

What investment are they making exactly. If they were making investments the amount of deadzones and or severely underserved areas would get better service as time goes by. I know in my case my whole area is a deadzone.
I live at the edge of the deadzone... 1/8th mile down the road and 56k or overpriced satellite with 500mb-2gb caps. Cell deadzones are a whole 'nother story. They're everywhere despite even the closest maps verizon offers showing that the only one is north over extra-bfe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
So Silicon Valley vs. ISPiss I mean CrapSP I mean...oh forget it.

Barack please do the right thing man. Don't be like legendary dunce cap wearer German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
 

·
OG OC
Joined
·
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by source
The news also come just days after German Chancellor Angela Merkel came out in support of creating a two-tier Internet, arguing that that fast lanes are necessary for assuring a "predictable standard of quality," which is key to the development of new, advanced Internet services, like telemedicine, driverless cars, and others.
Sorry, Germany, but you need to keep this guy to yourselves.
tongue.gif
It's a woman...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 View Post

I'm with IBM. I dunno what the specifics are but they seem to make sound decisions.
There you go. Just trust in their carefully crafted brand recognition. You're sure to do exactly what they want and think just they way they want you to. Welcome to the herd, sheep #8739910202435785033!
thumb.gif


rolleyes.gif
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
Wow...

Intel against this? I guess it is time I forgive AMD for their marketing lies and move back to their products.

Screw Intel and the rest of these guys.

We (ISPs) can be regulated like a Utility and still advance, it is a matter of proper regulation and running of the system. You don't blame the machine because the operator is an idiot and doesn't know how to run it.

A well regulated industry where we are utilities and are classified equally will allow for expansion. It will also allow for proper competition, something that the big guys don't want. I am just surprised as hell to see Intel in the mix of company on this letter!

They literally just cost themselves a customer, my upgrade will not be an Intel product at this point. Hell, even AdTran is sitting in that group as well - I have a $1,000 VOIP router of theirs.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,248 Posts
this is assuming that ISPs are dumping money into infrastructure upgrades outside of marketing stunts, as it stands now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
so intel,IBM and qualcomm don't want the isp's to be forced to upgrade or walk away from the business.. (upgrading makes these guys money)

there would be more upgrades then people walking away... so more product to sell, more people to hire.. the machine still needs to run. this facilitates the machine moving..

I don't get it.. why are these company turning their back on profit and alienating their costumers?

Not an american but i can see this negatively effecting their sales on a global scale. this isn't good for those big companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
I know this is easier said that done, but what they really need to do is create a new amendment to the telecommunications act, with a whole new set of classifications and rules that apply specifically to ISP's.

Title II was created with traditional phone lines and other basic utilities in mind. So it's naturally not a 100% fit for the internet. As far as I can tell, the main complaint anyone has about Title II for ISP's is that ISP's would essentially lose control over their own hardware and infrastructure. Certainly that has nothing to do with Net Neutrality. Net Neutrality doesn't require that the infrastructure itself be open (though it wouldn't hurt). Net Neutrality only requires that ISP's don't dick around with other peoples data packets in any way, shape or form. That has nothing to do with hardware, or who owns/operates the wires that the data is transmitted on.

So what is preventing the FCC from creating a new classification, that both preserves Net Neutrality while allowing ISP's to keep their own hardware to themselves?

Like I said, probably easier said than done. But certainly not impossible. But it really is the correct solution. Literally, ANY other solution would be wrong because the Internet operates completely differently to any utility or industry that the FCC oversee's. So it should be obvious that attempting to lump in the Internet with phone lines or anything else is not going to be a perfect fit and will result in unhappy people no matter what direction is taken. They NEED new rules from scratch, not just re-hashing old rules that doesn't fully apply to the new world we live in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,262 Posts
The internet of spying on things.

While I'm a fan of privacy if Merkel says we should vote against this then I will read into it. She is one of the smartest people on this planet achieving great things with little as she was born and raised in stasi germany. High level Chemistry overlaps with Physics obviously I admire the scientific elite in power. Scientific people know what has to happen and don't spend all their time talking and trying to get a better deal for themselves as most Alfa idiots would. (like our thick prime minister who can't even speak proper English and his money grab party keeping the rich rich or even making them richer)

Long story short Merkel wants to divide internet bandwidth one ultra fast secure connection for all critical data and one for regular internet. So this doesn't mean throttling based on application type as she stated "the Internet as we know today" with no throttling besides mobile plans happening in Germany this is a good sign. I'd love to have her leading NL.
 

·
Software Developer
Joined
·
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

The internet of spying on things.

While I'm a fan of privacy if Merkel says we should vote against this then I will read into it. She is one of the smartest people on this planet achieving great things with little as she was born and raised in stasi germany. High level Chemistry overlaps with Physics obviously I admire the scientific elite in power. Scientific people know what has to happen and don't spend all their time talking and trying to get a better deal for themselves as most Alfa idiots would. (like our thick prime minister who can't even speak proper English and his money grab party keeping the rich rich or even making them richer)

Long story short Merkel wants to divide internet bandwidth one ultra fast secure connection for all critical data and one for regular internet. So this doesn't mean throttling based on application type as she stated "the Internet as we know today" with no throttling besides mobile plans happening in Germany this is a good sign. I'd love to have her leading NL.
Two tier, or n-tier internet highways intrinsically are great ideas. The science is solid.

The problem is, it wouldn't be in the hands of good people. Read "moral" instead of good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

so intel,IBM and qualcomm don't want the isp's to be forced to upgrade or walk away from the business.. (upgrading makes these guys money)
Anyone else notice that Net Neutrality is becoming a Hardware vs Software battle? All the hardware companies (Intel, IBM, etc) are against net neutrality, while all the software companies (Microsoft, Google, etc) are pro-net neutrality.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top