Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Intel has provided quite a bit about its upcoming Sandy Bridge processors, slated for early 2011, but only now do enthusiasts have something to start drooling over. The chip giant this week held a session where it did some impressive Sandy Bridge air-cooled overclocking, according to APC Mag.

Though not many details were allowed to be disclosed, we do know that a new CPU corresponding to the current quad-core Core i7 875K (the K refers to an unlocked multiplier) was overclocked and tested running Cinebench R11.5. With only air cooling, the processor managed to run at 4.9GHz (Intel requested that the original speed of the CPU before overclocking not be disclosed), and apparently outperformed a 12-core AMD Opteron "by a pretty healthy chunk." Considering the Opteron in question easily beats a Core i7 960 CPU on the Cinebench benchmark, this is quite good news for Intel.

The second generation of Intel Core processors definitely looks impressive based on this single result (remember: this wasn't a pre-production chip), though we'll have to wait to get some independent benchmark scores before we can really see how much of a difference Sandy Bridge will make for the upcoming Core i3s, i5s, and i7s, overclocked or not. Expect the first evaluation processors to be benchmarked very soon!
http://www.techspot.com/news/40296-i...-to-49ghz.html

i also seen people saying it is a fake oc due to cinebench /over clock reading

well if you use a multi over 25 it will not show the correct reading just like windows system info

proof,here is my 980x with a multi over 25

notice how the reading is wrong in cinebench but cpu z has the correct readings

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If the cpu is 4Ghz by default then it will beat AMD unfortunately

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
This should set some pants on fire here on OCN

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
With these unlocked CPUs being released, will we see the end of $1K Extreme Edition CPUs?

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post
With these unlocked CPUs being released, will we see the end of $1K Extreme Edition CPUs?
Hopefully, but I'm not counting on it...

·
Registered
381 Posts
The end of the video most certainly looks like

Intel Core i7 2600K
4 cores, 8 threads @ 3.40GHz

But idk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Damn that sounds like a beast of a cpu lol. I would still like to see what AMD comes to the table with. I know they are working on cpu/gpu combos so I'm not sure how well they will be able to keep up trying to put out great gpus and great cpus at the same time without compromising something.

Edit: I've never ran cinebench before... can anyone confirm that it looks like it's moving pretty quickly?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Impressive how fast it was rendering
. These CPUS are a must for FOLDERS

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCgeel11 View Post
wow and people said the overclocking would suck =x
Ignorant fanboys said it wouldn't overclock. While all of us that aren't fanboys knew it would overclock pretty well with the k series processors.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:
seronx
on September 16, 2010
1:07 PM
That's the Intel 2600K @ 3.4 GHz overclocked to 4.9GHZ the guy didn't do a good job blurring it

it has 4 cores and 8 threads

and they are running it on windows 7 64bit ultimate edition

with a 460GTX

LOL he zoomed in lol nice job guy thanks didn't notice that
lol yay

1 - 20 of 184 Posts