Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Samsung showed off its transparent display technology at last week's Consumer Electronics Show, demonstrating its potential use as replacement for actual windows at people's homes. The CES 2012 innovation award winner Samsung Smart Window is essentially a 46-inch LCD, only that it is completely see-through and can overlay touch controlled widgets as well as a browser and media.
Source

I know Samsung has been fiddling in this tech for a while now, but nice to see a prototype actually show up at CES. Also cool how they mention the technology can be scaled down for the military for helmet visors and HUDs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benladesh View Post

i want this on every window of my house..Andmy car too
tongue.gif
how about the side window of your PC case displaying temps, voltages, fan speeds etc.
thumbsupsmiley.png

There are practically limitless uses for this tech.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
kids playing football,cricket on street and if ball comes breaks this window its gonna cost hell a lot..also what about spiders,lizards, that crawl the wall its gonna be a tough job maintaining this..

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
I'm ripping out a wall in my room and installing window that takes up the entire wall. Then I'll put...a giant one or a bunch of smaller ones. Hm...what to do.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauke View Post

Windows on windows.
I see what you did there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddaloreappu View Post

kids playing football,cricket on street and if ball comes breaks this window its gonna cost hell a lot..also what about spiders,lizards, that crawl the wall its gonna be a tough job maintaining this..
I'm going to go out on a whim and guess that the backside would have to be reinforced glass or something of that nature to prevent accidents like you mentioned. Or it could be paired with a standard double pane window and just mount the display in the window opening.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
And when someone throws a baseball at the window, new tv?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aw man, how cool would it be to walk up to my aquarium and see the water temperature displayed in the corner? Touch the front of the tank and pull up a log of all water parameters, temperature, inhabitants, etc.... full history. Keep track of medication treatments, descriptions of the fish in the tank.... ok, maybe I have gone too far. lol

But it would be cool.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
AMAZING. AWESOME. give me it....now. I want it on my sunglasses, at the beach. x-ray vision anyone? Lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post

Aw man, how cool would it be to walk up to my aquarium and see the water temperature displayed in the corner? Touch the front of the tank and pull up a log of all water parameters, temperature, inhabitants, etc.... full history. Keep track of medication treatments, descriptions of the fish in the tank.... ok, maybe I have gone too far. lol
But it would be cool.
smile.gif
Guess I'm not alone...
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/01/are-touchscreen-aquariums-in-our-future.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=are-touchscreen-aquariums-in-our-future&wwparam=1326734646

Would be cool at the public aquarium as one poster mentioned.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
can we start designing programs for fish?
Or
Dolphins?

I really wish this was about demoing a transparent smart phone though.

I misread as: Samsung demos transparent smart window phone prototype

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's freaking cool. I really like the blinds effect/feature. I thought they should have left a gap in the wall that people could stick their hands through. I also would like to see how exactly how it appears from the outside.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey dawg I heard you like Windows...

That is some impressive tech, I was just thinking about something like this when i did the dishes last night, what if the sink has a built in trackpad / mouse on the inner wall of the sink which could in turn cnotrol an OS on a display in front of me. Innovative stuff!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn0yb0i View Post

Hey dawg I heard you like Windows...
That is some impressive tech, I was just thinking about something like this when i did the dishes last night, what if the sink has a built in trackpad / mouse on the inner wall of the sink which could in turn cnotrol an OS on a display in front of me. Innovative stuff!
I think this is what you have in mind.

One of my sisters professors at Tulane is actually working with Corning on this project.
I think the coolest thing is the interface with mobile devices.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts