Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2017, Piriform, the UK-based firm behind CCleaner, was acquired by Avast for $1.3 billion, which has led to other programs being bundled in with the app, including Avast Free Antivirus, AVG Antivirus Free, Google Chrome and Google Toolbar.

It seems Microsoft has taken exception to the bundling of these programs. In a new threat entry, the Redmond firm has classified CCleaner as a PUA. “While the bundled applications themselves are legitimate, bundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact user experiences,” states the notice.
Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/86216-windows-defender-flagging-ccleaner-potentially-unwanted-application.html#add-new-comment

Good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Three months ago, I moved to Win7 Pro 64 bit RETAIL.
I have IT background from the era of Windows 2000 Servers.
It took me more than 45 days to resolve any logged issues at Event Viewer.

In summary, I ended up considering now my system as safer with out using any Microsoft updates.
In conclusion, I do not trust Microsoft or any other cucumber whom wants to save me.

CCleaner up to the version of 5.52.6967 this was less intrusive in to a windows system, any higher version seems as a system take over by scripts and running services with out user approval.
I think that Microsoft acted well here, because the software developer become greedy regarding advertising and about installations of software with out user approval.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,346 Posts
This happened to me a few days ago.
I flagged it as safe and moved on with my life :)

·
High Clocker
3,243 Posts
I despise CCleaner. Its one of those programs that just shows up on your parents and grand partants computers with them having no idea how it got there.
Then starts up with the computer bogging it down with scripts and scans for no reason. You remove it there computers fast again until the next time you visit them and its back on there again doing the same thing lol.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Three months ago, I moved to Win7 Pro 64 bit RETAIL.
I have IT background from the era of Windows 2000 Servers.
It took me more than 45 days to resolve any logged issues at Event Viewer.

In summary, I ended up considering now my system as safer with out using any Microsoft updates.
In conclusion, I do not trust Microsoft or any other cucumber whom wants to save me.

CCleaner up to the version of 5.52.6967 this was less intrusive in to a windows system, any higher version seems as a system take over by scripts and running services with out user approval.
I think that Microsoft acted well here, because the software developer become greedy regarding advertising and about installations of software with out user approval.

If you're using Windows 7 without any Windows Updates you are way more vulnerable to exploits. Just seems a bizarre decision...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Given that CCleaner has in the past been tampered with to spread malware - once in 2017, once in 2019 - and has had privacy advocates lambast it post-Avast acquisition for sending telemetry without permission, there is prior art to consider CCleaner potentially compromised.

And frankly, I applaud any attempts to crack down on "bundling" - having Adobe attempt to force McAfee Antivirus down my metaphorical throat with the Flash and Acrobat installers, CCleaner used to push Chrome hard and tweaked the installed a couple of times to hide the checkbox for installation of same - leaves me really annoyed.

If Microsoft laid the law down on OEMs bundling useless bloatware on their kit, I'd applaud that, too. MS could even justify it as "it harms the consumer experience of Windows if it boots up slow and runs like molasses because of unnecessary software installations"... but honestly that would have made more sense in the HDD days than in the days of SSDs everywhere.

It's a shame, because CCleaner used to be one of my "essential" installs.

If it wasn't for Microsoft's love of telemetry in Windows 10/Visual Studio Code/Office 365 I'd almost think they were trying to be pro-consumer!

·
Slurpee Addict
384 Posts
does anyone reccomend a good reg cleaner then thats what I used my cccleaner for

·
somewhere on ocn
284 Posts
The best registry cleaner is no cleaner at all.

·
Expert pin bender
2,185 Posts
Having a hard time with the search function on here. I had started or posted about something like this before. Windows updates were removing ccleaner like it was up to them or compatibility or something.. I think this was part of them trying to stop a popular history/log/reg cleaner. They want to track people was my guess and ccleaner was interfering with that. Anyways i get the hate for ccleaner, but Microsoft was trying to remove it before it was exploited with updates. Ccleaner wasn't the only one but its bee a while so i cannot recall what else they were removing or marking incompatible..

Not the same forum or me, but proof of it happening way back in 2015,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-removed-ccleaner/d80be3a3-97cf-4739-b730-56b84e782781

Edit: Also i recall this being an issue because Microsoft is deciding what applications you should/have/installed/use. You know like your not smart enough to decide if you want to use ccleaner or whatever program you desire.

·
mfw
8,643 Posts
does anyone reccomend a good reg cleaner then thats what I used my cccleaner for
None. There's absolutely no need to have one. If temp files and "unnecessary" registry entries left after Windows is done doing its own self-maintenance are somehow bogging down your system, you need a better one.

Best case scenario, CCLeaner will give you a small amount of storage space; worst case scenario, it'll break stuff. It's absolutely not worth it, especially after it started installing other crap by default.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None. There's absolutely no need to have one. If temp files and "unnecessary" registry entries left after Windows is done doing its own self-maintenance are somehow bogging down your system, you need a better one.

Best case scenario, CCLeaner will give you a small amount of storage space; worst case scenario, it'll break stuff. It's absolutely not worth it, especially after it started installing other crap by default.
This. CCleaner will absolutely do more hard than good. When you see someone using it you immediately know two things about them...

They're not very smart with computers.

They're paranoid.

·
WaterCooler
3,486 Posts
CCleaner was fine back in the day. But in my mind there has been no reason to use it for the past several years. At this point, has to be doing more harm than good.

·
Expert pin bender
2,185 Posts
lots of hyperbole on this forum these days.. I guess were all just cell phone, cloud, and console users nowadays.

Programs like ccleaner, bleachbit etc have been great tools for cleaning out massive temp file buildups from your "not so smart users" it served me well as a technician years ago. In fact i can't recall ever having anything broken by using any of these types of utilities. I still use bleachbit here and there.

Microsoft should just start blocking all programs that conflict with its own software offerings. No issue there whatsoever. I guess they couldn't get away with deleting your software on updates to many boomers complained.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

When Windows 10’s first big update arrived, many people on Reddit noticed a variety of programs were being silently removed–most of which were hardware-related utilities. People have reported that it removed the popular Speccy, CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and CCleaner programs from many people’s systems. Many people claim it removed hardware drivers like Intel Rapid Storage Technology and AMD Catalyst Control Center, too. In some cases, people even reported that it removed PDF viewers and antivirus programs (perhaps outdated ones). Confusingly, it seems like the Windows update removed these programs from some computers but not others. Reports are not completely consistent.
Cpu-z and HWmonitor were the other i recalled being removed... but i seem to recall they labeled some with PUA as well.

·
WaterCooler
3,486 Posts
lots of hyperbole on this forum these days.. I guess were all just cell phone, cloud, and console users nowadays.

Programs like ccleaner, bleachbit etc have been great tools for cleaning out massive temp file buildups from your "not so smart users" it served me well as a technician years ago. In fact i can't recall ever having anything broken by using any of these types of utilities. I still use bleachbit here and there.

Microsoft should just start blocking all programs that conflict with its own software offerings. No issue there whatsoever. I guess they couldn't get away with deleting your software on updates to many boomers complained.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

Cpu-z and HWmonitor were the other i recalled being removed... but i seem to recall they labeled some with PUA as well.
I remember that. That's when I went in and made sure to block my Windows 8.1 PC from randomly upgrading to Windows 10. While my laptop never encountered any issues with programs being removed, it sure had a lot of driver issues on Windows 10.

And I agree that CCleaner was a nice utility. I just don't like it's recent incarnations.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Probably because you would run the program on someone's computer and then walk away. I used to do remote tech support for a shady company that pushed CCleaner like is was more than just a free program and they had special access to it or something and they scammed a lot of old people with it. I've seem countless examples of those computers having issues caused by CCleaner later on.

Seriously if you are a technician and you frequently have to deal with "too many temp files" then there is something very wrong with your line of work.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
None? Reg cleaners are pointless unless you're doing some weird crap to break stuff.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,826 Posts
I'm guessing this is happening because one of the things it asks to install is Google Chrome.

The best way to keep your registry clean is to use an OS that doesn't have a monstrosity that's known as "the registry".

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
i mean, it kind of is... I'd demand my money back if I found out a shop was running it on a computer of mine.

None? Reg cleaners are pointless unless you're doing some weird crap to break stuff.

trash clean up is the only thing of any value. outside of that, it's just smoke & mirrors.

at least it doesn't flat out brick your windows10 anymore?

you could just do what all the cool kids are doing, and download BleachBit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts