Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Apple has been repeatedly criticised for using factories that abuse workers and where conditions are poor. Last week, it emerged that 62 workers at a factory that manufactures products for Apple and Nokia had been poisoned by n-hexane, a toxic chemical that can cause muscular degeneration and blur eyesight. Apple has not commented on the problems at the plant, which is run by Wintek, in the Chinese city of Suzhou.

At least eleven 15-year-old children were discovered to be working last year in three factories which supply Apple.

The company did not name the offending factories, or say where they were based, but the majority of its goods are assembled in China.

[Source]

Apple are happy to comment that they've weeded out some underage workers, but remain silent on how one of their plants caused serious intoxication to employees that may result in them going blind and losing the use of limbs!

Nokia is also silent, so far!

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is a repost and as soon as Apple discovered these workers they revealed it themselves. Also 15 year olds having jobs is a question of law rather than of ethics. Saying that apple use child labor is a massive exageration and unfair imo... and i think this even though I hate Apple.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
While I am not a fan of Apple, it is not like the were knowingly doing this, and once it was found out, they took action to correct it. Many electronic companies outsource and do not have complete control of working conditions. They have policies in place, they check on their contractors periodically and fix teh problems when they find them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Did you guys read the article? The eleven 15 year olds are the least of their worries. In 2008 there were at least 25 below age workers. The factories are also over working (more than 60 hours when China doesn't allow 50) the employees, poisoning them, don't have the proper permits, not meeting minimum wage, and are dumping hazardous waste in places were it is not allowed.

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
I don't find this too surprising. There aren't that many big corporations with a moral conscious. Then again, corporation and moral conscious don't go in the same sentence unless "don't have a" is put in between the two words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman_90
View Post

YouTube- The Best Mac Spoof

inb4threadclosedbecusoftroll

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Did you guys read the article? The eleven 15 year olds are the least of their worries. In 2008 there were at least 25 below age workers. The factories are also over working (more than 60 hours when China doesn't allow 50) the employees, poisoning them, don't have the proper permits, not meeting minimum wage, and are dumping hazardous waste in places were it is not allowed.
^ This...

Down with Apple.

people are screaming to not allow Child Labor, and that anyone who condones it is a POS.

Well, think for a min about this.. Do you really think Apple wants to hire children to do the work?

Its more about the POOR FAMILY WHO LIVES IN A HOLE who wants there children to work... These places are ungodly poor and the people who work there will do ANYTHING for money, including Whoring out there children

Now I ask you.

Would you Rather, Apple and Dell have a few 15 year old Kids working hard ont he line for 60 hours a week?

Or know that that 15 year old kid is getting plugged in the butt 60 hours a week .

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Well, this was a fun looking thread, but around the time someone references Apple and kids getting it in the butt in one post, I'm out. That's just too ridiculous for me.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
i had my first job when i was 15 but i was getting paid $8 an hour to drive around a plant in a golf cart delivering warehouse stuff

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Again, these are contractors and suppliers, not Apple themselves. I do agree that indirectly Apple does have a responsibility for them (which they appear to be trying to correct).The poisonings were at a facility (Wintek) that makes Apple and Nokia Products.
Foxconn, well they make motherboards for just about everyone.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevinchy
View Post

This is a repost and as soon as Apple discovered these workers they revealed it themselves. Also 15 year olds having jobs is a question of law rather than of ethics. Saying that apple use child labor is a massive exageration and unfair imo... and i think this even though I hate Apple.

Hey, I didn't make the title.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags
View Post

I think he's merely saying that they're getting all this cheap chinese labor, but their products are still rediculously priced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao
View Post

Take all the offense you want from this....you're an idiot.

You need to learn how to read and interpret meaning from English in its text form.

Cheers fellas
I almost lost faith in humanity until I saw your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Well, this was a fun looking thread, but around the time someone references Apple and kids getting it in the butt in one post, I'm out. That's just too ridiculous for me.

Where did that happen?!

I had my first job at 13 delivering papers. But it wasn't 60 hours a week to keep my family going. The real criminals here are the Chinese government for not doing more to protect these kids and help impoverished families.

Also, if this is a repost, then you're supposed to post the link when you say so. Otherwise you're a useless troll. I visit here daily and didn't see this posted.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
There's two sides to this story though, Now these "kids" have to tell their families that they can't eat anymore because they aren't allowed to work.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Title is incredibly misleading (and so is the article in fact). I know you didn't make it Kryten and were just following the rules but I think it should be changed. Apple investigated these suppliers themselves to make sure none of them were using child labour and they discovered some were. They've now taken action against these companies.

Also Kryten, here's the original thread: http://overclock.net/hardware-news/6...veals-use.html

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryten
View Post

Where did that happen?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2
View Post

Its more about the POOR FAMILY WHO LIVES IN A HOLE who wants there children to work... These places are ungodly poor and the people who work there will do ANYTHING for money, including Whoring out there children

Now I ask you.

Would you Rather, Apple and Dell have a few 15 year old Kids working hard ont he line for 60 hours a week?

Or know that that 15 year old kid is getting plugged in the butt 60 hours a week .

In case you missed it.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevinchy
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice
View Post

Title is incredibly misleading (and so is the article in fact). I know you didn't make it Kryten and were just following the rules but I think it should be changed. Apple investigated these suppliers themselves to make sure none of them were using child labour and they discovered some were. They've now taken action against these companies.

Also Kryten, here's the original thread: http://overclock.net/hardware-news/6...veals-use.html

Same story, but different source and writer. A little different info in each source, so not a repost.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice
View Post

Cheers for the link and I'll change the title.

The article has more information in it than the Neowin page and also includes the intoxication of employees working for both Apple and Nokia, which Apple have failed to comment on.

Quote:

View Post

In case you missed it.

Being a little sensitive there, mate. He could have said shafted, instead, sure. But I think we all got the jist. I thought someone had literally gotten a bit inappropriate, but really they were just implying the kids were getting screwed into working 10 more hours a week then is legal anyway.

EDIT:

As per the rules, one thread per topic, this thread is now about the poisoning of employees and the child labour. Title and opening post now reflect this.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

Same story, but different source and writer. A little different info in each source, so not a repost.

Props to Voice for pointing it out and providing me with the repost link, though

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Being a little sensitive there, mate. He could have said shafted, instead, sure. But I think we all got the jist. I thought someone had literally gotten a bit inappropriate, but really they were just implying the kids were getting screwed into working 10 more hours a week then is legal anyway.

I was commenting more on the absurdist rhetoric than on child prostitution. In my experience, a thread about a polarising company (like Apple) having any sort of scandal (like having underaged workers, even though it was Apple that reported it) that devolves into bizarre metaphors (like child labour being better that child prostitution) tends to be a trainwreck. That has so far turned out not to be the case, leading me to reconsider what I know about OCN.

Edit: Oh man, the revamped OP is amazing.

Quote:

Last week, it emerged that 62 workers at a factory that manufactures products for Apple and Nokia had been poisoned by n-hexane, a toxic chemical that can cause muscular degeneration and blur eyesight.

Quote:

View Post

Imagine how over-priced their stuff would be if they hadn't!

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

View Post

I was commenting more on the absurdist rhetoric than on child prostitution. In my experience, a thread about a polarising company (like Apple) having any sort of scandal (like having underaged workers, even though it was Apple that reported it) that devolves into bizarre metaphors (like child labour being better that child prostitution) tends to be a trainwreck. That has so far turned out not to be the case, leading me to reconsider what I know about OCN.

Edit: Oh man, the revamped OP is amazing.

The child labour stuff is still in the post, but well noticed!

And I think you're looking too far into things, dude. I didn't get child prostitution anywhere along this thread (then again I do skip some posts when reading)

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

View Post

And I think you're looking too far into things, dude. I didn't get child prostitution anywhere along this thread (then again I do skip some posts when reading)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2
View Post

It's really just this one guy who derailed my brain.

• Rep+
Reactions: Kryten
1 - 20 of 24 Posts