Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The landmark operation involved injecting the scaffold of a windpipe, taken from a dead donor, with stem cells from the boy before implanting it in his throat.

The stem cells were removed from the boy's bone marrow and were ready for use just four hours later.

The cells trigger regrowth to create a normal windpipe without any of the risks of normal transplantation such as the organ being rejected by the body.

The operation took place at Great Ormond Street Hospital, in London, on Monday and the boy is breathing by himself and able to speak normally.

It is the first time a child has received an organ transplant created with stem cells and the second time that surgeons have injected the stem cells immediately before implanting the windpipe. In a previous operation the cells were allowed to grow onto the windpipe in the laboratory for some months before the organ was implanted.
Emphasis in bold. These were not embryonic stem cells, and there are many sources for stem cells that do not come from embryos.

Source

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
Emphasis in bold. These were not embryonic stem cells, and there are many sources for stem cells that do not come from embryos.

Source
I don't have a full understanding of this whole matter so forgive me if I am wrong. But don't the best (most versatile) stem cells come from embryos?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I don't have a full understanding of this whole matter so forgive me if I am wrong. But don't the best (most versatile) stem cells come from embryos?
Embryos are the most widely available source of the best stem cells, but I put the emphasis in because the phrase 'stem cell' has almost become synonymous with that controversial source, and I'd prefer to head off such discussions so that the thread stays open.

The stem cells that allowed this procedure were obtained from bone marrow. That's relevant, because as I recall, stem cell research on cells obtained from bone marrow has not been banned in the US. Anyone who has healthy marrow can have an operation like this.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Yes, because they are the most pluripotent...meaning they have the most potential to becoming any tissue with the right stimuli.

But adult stem cells do have potential as well.

And this is certainly not the first time in the world that stem cells transplants are done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematop...ransplantation

They are usually done for blood diseases, though so this may be a first "treachea" stem cell transplant.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
It is the first time a child has received an organ transplant created with stem cells
I believe it's the first time a stem cell transplant has been performed on a child.

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post

Source
Yes this is true. Stem cells from the Umbilical cord show much more promise then those taken from an embrio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
Yes, because they are the most pluripotent...meaning they have the most potential to becoming any tissue with the right stimuli.
This is wrong, see my above statment.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeUbi
View Post

Amazing. They should grow me a whole new body and transplant my brainnnnn..

Yup, I'd buy. Of coarse I'd want a couple.. upgrades though...

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to wonder where else a little scaffolding and some stem cells could do some good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

I believe it's the first time a stem cell transplant has been performed on a child.

Children with chemotherapy-resistant Leukemia are treated with bone marrow stem cell transplants from donors. This may be the first stem cell transplant used for organ growth.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED
View Post

Yup, I'd buy. Of coarse I'd want a couple.. upgrades though...

Upgrade your body?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:

View Post

My dong

Only you could mention a 'dong' in a thread related to throats.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

View Post

My dong

You have a flair for subtlety, SUPER PISSED.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

You have a flair for subtlety, SUPER PISSED.

Well I was subtle but some people missed it. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Quote:

View Post

My dong

I'm sorry that you feel that your penis is inadequate.

On the other hand, I'd like to be less hairy...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts