Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Logitech G15 and it takes just over 70g. (Probably 71-72g) to depress a key. This keyboard is a year old and with HEAVY use.

I assumed nickels were exactly 5g and tested it that way, by stacking 14 nickels on top of various keys.

I would like others to see how many nickels they can stack on their keyboards (preferably your mechanical keyboards!) so I can get an idea of what weight is required to press them down.

Yes I know the required weight is listed in the "Mechanical Keyboard Guide", however I want real-world tests with people messing with nickels. Tell me what switch type you have and how many nickels it took to depress it!

Not being prejudice against other membrane users either, post also.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Can I use quarters? Who has nickels laying around anyway?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
Can I use quarters? Who has nickels laying around anyway?

Quarters are too big to test out letter keys without hitting other ones.

Also, nickels are exactly 5 grams as to my knowledge, no other coin rounds out like that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see where you're coming from, but I collect loose change in a huge bucket, so it wasn't too hard to find for me.

·
404 ERROR
925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Marker View Post
Yes, it was very hard to find nickels! Anyway, I did it on my Deck Legend up arrow and needed 14 nickels.

Do you have one with the MX Blacks or Clears?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
About nine for my MX SPOS. On the often used keys the ninth nickel will trip it; on the numpad and macro keys sometimes the ninth will trip it, sometimes it needs like 1-2g more.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaotik55 View Post
Quarters are too big to test out letter keys without hitting other ones.

Also, dimes are exactly 5 grams as to my knowledge, no other coin rounds out like that.
Nickels are the ones that are exactly 5g. Like 5.00something.

• Rep+
Reactions: Khaotik55

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Nickels are the ones that are exactly 5g. Like 5.00something.
That's what I meant. :x!

Going to go edit that.

·
GTX 1080 Ti Club
1,783 Posts
Logitech Wave

Caps Lock = 16
Enter = 14
L = 12
D = 16

·
404 ERROR
925 Posts
Cherry MX Blacks on my MX11900

Specs call for 40g to move, 60g at actuation, 80g at bottom out.

My results on the "M" key...?? to move, 13 nickels to actuate (~65g), 17 nickels to bottom out (~85g).

Guess I need a little grease or something.

·
Registered
127 Posts
10 on the "W" key presumably my most pressed key since I game.
EDIT: Silly me I forgot to mention it's a razor lycosa from Christmas 2008.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper~ View Post
I'd like to help out but only found 4 nickels laying around. Also when I went to liquor store and asked them for a roll of nickels, they looked at me funny.
That made me laugh.

·
god loves ugly
4,253 Posts
Takes 11 for the keys I tested on my generic HP multimedia keyboard.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaotik55 View Post
I have a Logitech G15 and it takes just over 70g. (Probably 71-72g) to depress a key. This keyboard is a year old and with HEAVY use.

I assumed nickels were exactly 5g and tested it that way, by stacking 14 nickels on top of various keys.

I would like others to see how many nickels they can stack on their keyboards (preferably your mechanical keyboards!) so I can get an idea of what weight is required to press them down.

Yes I know the required weight is listed in the "Mechanical Keyboard Guide", however I want real-world tests with people messing with nickels. Tell me what switch type you have and how many nickels it took to depress it!

Not being prejudice against other membrane users either, post also.

nickels are 5g each, not approximately. and yes, most mechanical keyboards take in between 45 and 70 g to press da button.
as for the rubber membrane kbs idk how much they take.

my control key became pressed with 7 quarters, 2 nickels, and 2 golden dollar coins. logitech scissor switch.

7(5) + 2(5.67) + 2(8.61) = 63.56g, but its possible I could have done it with less weight and different coin combo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Using the really cheap freebie dell keyboard, took 14 nickels on W, 13 on backspace and pretty much stayed the same throughout on other random keys.

Edit: Doubt it matters, but I've had this keyboard for at least 4 years, so it's been used. Yeah yeah I should buy something much better!

·
PC Evangelist
47,480 Posts

1 - 20 of 267 Posts