Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the situation......Income tax is coming and I get to spend $200 on my "Divorce Box". I really not sure what to do considering $200 does'nt buy much. I am using the PC in my sig. he PC3200 that I am using is value RAM. I am able to oc my video to 480/570 with stock cooling (u think I could go further with aftermarket cooling?) I currently have my XP 2500+ Barton running 11 x 200 @ 1.6 vcore stable...48c max load. And I have the crap NF2 mobo. I thought maybe a gig of PC4000 or PC3500 would help my oc....but then again How fast can a XP 2500+ Barton (multi unlocked) overclock?................HELP!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
An unlocked 2500 SCHWEET

You have a ton of options to OC then

So long as you keep the full load temps below 55c up the voltage and increase the FSB untill the RAM is unstable. The RAM will want more vdimm... 2.7-2.8v should be ok!
If your RAM don't like much above 200MHz up your multiplyer instead of the FSB... the 2500 Barton should do at least a few hundred more MHz that you are currently running... just watch the temps

Oh... MArcin is correct... a better GPU for better gaming for sure ... with the above and a better vid card you should do well.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

An unlocked 2500 SCHWEET

You have a ton of options to OC then

So long as you keep the full load temps below 55c up the voltage and increase the FSB untill the RAM is unstable. The RAM will want more vdimm... 2.7-2.8v should be ok!
If your RAM don't like much above 200MHz up your multiplyer instead of the FSB... the 2500 Barton should do at least a few hundred more MHz that you are currently running... just watch the temps

Oh... MArcin is correct... a better GPU for better gaming for sure ... with the above and a better vid card you should do well.

2.7 vdimm is max in my BIOS....
....FSB is unstable past 200. Unsure if it is my mobo or not. The NF2 mobo I have was originally rated for 333mhz cpus.....but with new BIOS I can go to 250 on the FSB. Is it possible for budget PC3200 RAM to quit at 200mhz? Or could my 330w power supply be holding me back? I have a new 450w showing up on Thursday on a RMA. As far as video goes......What could I get for under $200 that would be a drastic visual improvement...ATI or Nvidia....Does'nt matter.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Hmm, if you cant get your FSB over 200Mhz, i think its time for a new mobo, or possibly ram. Btw, what do you mean it cant go over 200mhz before i go all-out? Bios cant go over 200Mhz? or it wont let you boot?

Also, you could get a better cooler, such as an SI-97 or SP-97 like I do, if youre lucky enough to find one. =)

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Even with a higher multiplyer you will still do well!

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run 12.5 x 166 stable but if I up the FSB any it will crash...not boot....I can run 11.5 x 200 but fails Prime95 ( with vcore @ 1.75) I tried 205 x 11 and just get random rebbots before Windows. I can get my multi higher but everything else fails. Mobo has BIOS settings up to 250.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcin123b

yo yo go buy yourself a new GPU it is ancient i sugest a 6800 theyre cheap

He's referring to the nVidia GeForce 6800...

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Well a quick check on newegg for socketA motherboards it appears the best that is available is the EPOX EP-8RDA3+PR0 ofr USD$70.00..here..it has the nf2 ULTRA400 northbridge so will be fine.

A GPU upgrade if that is your want could be in the nature of a 6600GT for USD$120.00..see here.

That would give you a nice upgrade with the chance of some RAM later on maybe if still married...lol (I like the divorce box reference)

cheers

edit : as suggested upgrade the CPU heatsink and fan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Divorce box, I like that.

Is there a story you'd like to share with the group?

I bought my 3200+ venice and my gigabyte Mboard for $210 4 months ago so you should be able to do something similar.

You can get the venice to OC to 2.5-2.7ghz on air so it would be a damn good upgrade for around $200.

Don't spend that $200 on ram or a videocard, you just wouldn't get as much out of your $200.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have a memory divider option in your bios? Sometimes they go by percentages. You should be able to get past 200mhz fsb with dividers. Also keep an eye on your chipset temp. Mine was getting so hot it would burn my finger, before I added a fan. Also with an unlocked multi you might get better results at stock fsb with a higher multi. Have you tried 166x14?

GOOD LUCK

P.S. A better video card is your best bet for an upgrade. For 180 I got the evga 6800 and it's great. Far Cry, with latest patch all setting ULTRA high 8xaa and [email protected], I get in excess of 100fps, around 50 with a lot of action on the screen.

To turn on hdr simply go to console and type \
_hdrrendering 7 or whatever setting you like, 1-11, 0 is off of course.

NOTE: this is only "supported" for nvidia 6 and 7 series cards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts