Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,098 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Your temps should be dropping, not rising.

1)Use isoproypl alchohol or other TIM remover products after wiping off the previous thermal paste. Make sure there is no residue of previous thermal material left over on either surface.

2)Make sure you don't use too much paste and that a thin and even layer is applied.

3)After mounting the cooler in place remove it and check that the contact/pressure was good enough before going through with the last round.

4)A youtube video of someone else's work is no good. Pics of how much paste you used, what you did etc would be much better (that way I can tell you if you're using the right amount of paste).

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Sorry to hear that. Your temps should be dropping, not rising.

1)Use isoproypl alchohol or other TIM remover products after wiping off the previous thermal paste. Make sure there is no residue of previous thermal material left over on either surface.

2)Make sure you don't use too much paste and that a thin and even layer is applied.

3)After mounting the cooler in place remove it and check that the contact/pressure was good enough before going through with the last round.

4)A youtube video of someone else's work is no good. Pics of how much paste you used, what you did etc would be much better (that way I can tell you if you're using the right amount of paste).
Do all of this.

649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just used the same amount he used in the video, also i applied on both surfaces same as the guy on the video.

Do I need to apply on both surfaces, or is tht too much???

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Chances are you put too much on. All it takes is a very thin layer.
So...You'll want to tear it down and reapply the TIM.
I use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to clean off the GPU and heatsink.
Rather than smearing around with a finger, I like to put a drop or two parallel lines and let the heatsink spread it out.
When you reapply, before bolting the cooler back on, take it off to see how the paste spreads out...you're loooking for a nice, thin even layer. Too much or too little and you will reduce the paste's ability to conduct heat off the chip.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: What they said ^^

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just to give you a small idea, I put a THIN layer on my processor and a blob on my waterblock. Dropped me roughly 6 degrees. Could I have done better? Yes. If I probably had never put that blob. Just remember, enough is when you lighly put TIM on the processor, not when you bathe it. Think of it as butter and bread, wipe off the excess.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber View Post
I just used the same amount he used in the video, also i applied on both surfaces same as the guy on the video.

Do I need to apply on both surfaces, or is tht too much???
Only apply TIM to one surface (usually the chip).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber View Post
Man Iam sick an tired of the Ultra. Its always bin overheating and Iam sick of it.

reckon a GTX 295 will be cooler???
Hell No!

It will play much better, but don't expect to be colder. I am WATERCOOLED, and my temps are 34 on GPU1, 35 on GPU2.

649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DdotRoq View Post
Hell No!

It will play much better, but don't expect to be colder. I am WATERCOOLED, and my temps are 34 on GPU1, 35 on GPU2.
LMAO is that bad???
mate, mines reaching more than 100C

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Should be a nice thin layer. I dismantled my 9800GTX, and used MX-2 as well, but I also used thermal pads on the vram, perhaps that is your problem?

Check my sig for a step by step guide with pics. Hope you get it sorted out.

649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't touch the thermal pad on the ram. But that shouldn't affect the GPU temps should it??

Alright I'll give it one more try and iam gonna chuck this **** the garbage bin and get a GTX 285

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber
View Post

I didn't touch the thermal pad on the ram. But that shouldn't affect the GPU temps should it??

I guess not. It's got to be that you have some bad contact, not enough/too much tim....

649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
somethings seriously gone wrong. I reapplied the paste for the third time, this time slightly thicker anmount on the GPU and a very thin layer on the heatsink plate. still the temps are very high.

don't think I have contact problems. the srewss are in tight.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber
View Post

somethings seriously gone wrong. I reapplied the paste for the third time, this time slightly thicker anmount on the GPU and a very thin layer on the heatsink plate. still the temps are very high.

don't think I have contact problems. the srewss are in tight.

Only put a THIN layer, spread with a plastic card or some such. And only appy the thermal paste to one thing, I say the chip. Are you making sure you have removed all of the old thermal residue? Make sure it is nicely cleaned with a lint-free cloth, and isopropyl alcohol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

Manually increase the fanspeed using rivatuner and the likes perhaps? You might also have a lot of dust inside the cooling shroud that could use some cleaning out (use a blower or a can of compressed air).

Also a good suggestion!
That was my reasoning behind dismantling my 9800GTX. I could see a nice clump of cat hair!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts