Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations for good temp probes/displays. I'm on air cooling currently and thinking of going with a Swiftech H20-120 Premium CPU Liquid Cooling Kit. Just looking for decent, quiet cooling that I might get a slight overclock out of. Is a probe measure going to give false reading with a waterblock?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,427 Posts
The only way to get the actual temp of the cpu is from the diode imbeded in the die. The next best thing would be a sensor at the edge of the heatspreader but even that would be several degrees off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,427 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chopes

can you not fabricate a sensor and place it yourself. I thought it would be a good idea to cut a hole in the tubing, and then seal the probe in it for water temps.

That would work fine for water temps... I thought he wanted cpu temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fishie36

That would work fine for water temps... I thought he wanted cpu temps.


Yes, CPU temps. I've been looking for a decent probe system to measure CPU and Northbridge temps. I've tried MBM5, Speedfan, Everest, PC Wizard, and Easytune 5 for checking temps with the onboard sensors. So far, Easytune (packaged with my mobo) has shown the most accuracy as compared to the BIOS temps. Any suggestions for a good probe system? Although, it probably won't matter if I install watercooling.

Thanks for the info!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,427 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Biomech

Yes, CPU temps. I've been looking for a decent probe system to measure CPU and Northbridge temps. I've tried MBM5, Speedfan, Everest, PC Wizard, and Easytune 5 for checking temps with the onboard sensors. So far, Easytune (packaged with my mobo) has shown the most accuracy as compared to the BIOS temps. Any suggestions for a good probe system? Although, it probably won't matter if I install watercooling.

Thanks for the info!


Like I said earlier the closest you could get would be the side of the heatspreader. If your probe has an offset setting it could be calibrated to the bios reading, and it would be pretty accutate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fishie36

Like I said earlier the closest you could get would be the side of the heatspreader. If your probe has an offset setting it could be calibrated to the bios reading, and it would be pretty accutate.

That's what I was assuming would be the case. I don't mind using Easytune to check the CPU temp, but, I prefer an MBM or Speedfan display in the system tray. Unfortunately it also only shows CPU temps and voltage. No Chipset measures. Gigabyte has poor FAQ's and not much for forum support. I might just fool around with MBM5 some more and try to adjust the settings as best I can.

Thanks again for the info. Watercooler is on the way. Hopefully I get some decent results.

Cheers!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top