Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced thermal paste on my GTX 1080 FE, since it was getting quite hot.

I removed the old thermal paste and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, it was dry and there was very little of it (never touched it since I bought it).

The amount I put on it is about double on what I put on a CPU, just a bit more than the size of a pea.

Now I turned on the computer and the temperature (idle) fluctuates a bit, is it normal? Having HW Monitor open for a couple hours, the min and max are between 36C and 52C

Is this normal behavior just after applying Arctic Silver 5? Will it set and will eventually the temperature be fixed when idle?

·
High Clocker
3,234 Posts
GPUs with the naked die you need to spread it to get complete coverage of the die.

I wouldnt be using AS5 on a GPU tho since there are exposed caps right around the die.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't spread it. I just put the block on it and assumed that will spread the thermal paste.

See what I mean from this video: https://youtu.be/n10_ThxftI4?t=203
That is where I put the thermal paste, and a few seconds later, you see the other side that is resting on it.

But is AS5 not good for GPU? what would I be better off with then?

Also I already applied it and its working, I just wanted to know if this kind of behavior is normal for the first days?

·
High Clocker
3,234 Posts
AS5 is capacitive and as per the instructions with it, you should avoid it contacting traces, resistors and capacitors.
Those capacitors are really easy for it to spill over onto.

Ectotherm is what iv used on friends GPUs since iv got lots of if from buying water blocks over the years.
Personally I use liquid metal and have all the caps protected with a few layers of liqual electrical tape but I would not recommend using LM on a GPU.

But really regarding your temps question, Whats the fan doing. Its going to ramp up and down even at idle to stay with in a target range which 36C and 52C could be in a hot room.
Fan slows down to slowest speed, temp climps up to 52c slowly. Fan kicks up a few steps and temp drops down to 36C, then it repeats the cycle.

Load temps are what you should be more concered about.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
AS5 was good 10 years ago. It's been overtaken by just about everything. Plus, it's ever so slightly conductive so don't use on bare die stuff.

Does the GPU have Fanless mode cause if it does it will fluctuate a lot as the fans only start at like 60c.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the fluctuation at idle: before I reapplied thermal paste, the idle temperature was pretty constant, for example 36C-38C
But now it fluctuates more. When Idle. That is why I asked about this.

The GPU's fan is always running, but when idle its obviously not at max speed. It's @ 27%-29%.

That is why asked... maybe its possible I put a bit too much thermal paste? or maybe it just needs a few days to set.

That aside, what thermal paste would you recommend for a *CPU* these days? And, Is arctic silver 5 not as good anymore? should I not use it?

·
Invalid Media
2,097 Posts
As per the above posts, avoid conductive / capacitive and also abrasive pastes. MX4 is none of those and I have used MX4 with great results over the years on CPUs and GPUs though there are other pastes, such as Gelid.

Since GPU chips typically don't have a heatspreaders ('IHS') affixed to them, spread the paste out thinly and evenly across the whole die.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As per the above posts, avoid conductive / capacitive and also abrasive pastes. MX4 is none of those and I have used MX4 with great results over the years on CPUs and GPUs though there are other pastes, such as Gelid.

Since GPU chips typically don't have a heatspreaders ('IHS') affixed to them, spread the paste out thinly and evenly across the whole die.
I see. So should I open it up again, clean and reapply like you described?

I just assumed it will spread out evenly after I put put it back together.

·
Invalid Media
2,097 Posts
I see. So should I open it up again, clean and reapply like you described?

I just assumed it will spread out evenly after I put put it back together.
...really up to you. One 'trick' is to apply clear nail polish on top of the capacitors by the GPU die (to insulate them from potential spillover / 'squeeze-out' of conductive paste) but that can affect resale and perhaps warranty if there's some left. Better option might be just to clean the Arctic Silver 5 off gently and then apply and spread out the MX4 thinly and evenly across the whole die before remounting the cooler

FYI, I have even used MX4 as the 'blocker' in the channel around the GPU die where caps and pcb traces are when using liquid metal on top of the die

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
The dot method works fine on direct die GPU's tho. No need to spread it. MX4, Prolimatech PK-3, Noctua NT-H1, Kryonaut, all good non conductive pastes you could use.

·
Invalid Media
2,097 Posts
...yeah, the age-old dot vs pea vs rice kernel method comparisons. I have no idea which work best for other people; I started to evenly spread the paste with the little spachelor that came with the 'Gelid'. Mind you, these days it is mostly for bigger GPU dies (2080 Ti etc) and those humongous Threadripper IHS :p

·
Overclocker
11,344 Posts
...yeah, the age-old dot vs pea vs rice kernel method comparisons. I have no idea which work best for other people; I started to evenly spread the paste with the little spachelor that came with the 'Gelid'. Mind you, these days it is mostly for bigger GPU dies (2080 Ti etc) and those humongous Threadripper IHS :p

For a CPU with a center die, sure just make a good sized dot and you're good to go.
For a massive GPU die, Turing and other larger dies... I wouldn't risk it and the "dot" needs to be more of a blob of paste to spread all the way to corners. Doing an X would be safer, but why, just spread it around and be sure the whole die is covered.
Even for CPU IHS I would rather have paste pushing all around out than have dry spots because I used the old tiny dies recommended rice dot etc. Been there, done that, what is a dot to others to me often needs to be a blob.
More paste never hurts, too little sure does though.

·
OG AMD
8,797 Posts

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Their thermal conductivity looks very poor though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts