Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been folding all night with my sig rig, overclocked to 2 ghz .

i decided to download core temp to check the temps, and its reading 59 c.

is this right, and is it too hot ?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i go down on the oc a bit to be safe?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halocog
View Post

should i go down on the oc a bit to be safe?

if you really feel that it isn't safe, then go ahead and downclock.. remember though that your ppd will decrease

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a big box fan in front of my pc, and i just turned it off, and went down 3 degrees
?!?!
was it messing up the case's air flow or something?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halocog
View Post

i had a big box fan in front of my pc, and i just turned it off, and went down 3 degrees
?!?!
was it messing up the case's air flow or something?

very likely... you may have distorted the air pressure in the case...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks +rep

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can't take up the voltage, software oc (clockgen) compaq locked mobo

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am highly confused, now that i turned the fan off, my ppd went down to 95.37.

is it just a hard part in the core or something? (Gromacs core)

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Is that an actual result, or just the estimation? The estimation will vary until the current WU has completed.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halocog View Post
i am highly confused, now that i turned the fan off, my ppd went down to 95.37.

is it just a hard part in the core or something? (Gromacs core)
Halocog, the performance of the processor shouldn't decrease as you go up in temperature. The worse thing that could happen is a lockup or a restart but 59C full load on the stock cooler is completely fine. My Opteron 170 during Orthos testing was between 60C - 62C with a 29C room ambient. As TheFlyingWallaby stated, you won't know until the WU has been completed.

Have you thought about modifying the airflow in your case? If you are concerned, you could always pick up a aftermarket cooler as well. Even though it's a proprietary board, the coolers should still be compatible. Check out the Xigmatek 1283, it's quite popular amongst many users here.

Good luck buddy

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Quote:

i have been folding all night with my sig rig, overclocked to 2 ghz .

i decided to download core temp to check the temps, and its reading 59 c.

is this right, and is it too hot ?
old cpu, if those are full load temps then ur fine. If those are idle temps then OMGZORO

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

thanks thlnk3r , i would rep you, but your a mod

heres some pics :

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...2/DSC00074.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...2/DSC00073.jpg

any ideas lol?
Sabermetrics, great suggestion

Halocog, if you have time on your hands I would also try and clean up the wiring. Good wire management can be rewarding and allow for better airflow. I typically use zip ties when cleaning up my cables. For my case, I was able to zip tie the cables and store them behind the motherboard tray. In your case I don't think this is possible so it might be more difficult. See my case for an example. It's time consuming but you'll enjoy it

Good luck

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a clean setup! i found a old p4 single core cpu fan that i pulled off a old stock pentium cooler, its about a inch and a half, if that would work, but its a 3 pin connector, so i would need to wire it into a empty molex, right?

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

thats a clean setup! i found a old p4 single core cpu fan that i pulled off a old stock pentium cooler, its about a inch and a half, if that would work, but its a 3 pin connector, so i would need to wire it into a empty molex, right?
Halocog, that is possible but I'm assuming this fan is 70mm? That fan probably won't offer enough CFM and bringing in air from the outside of the case may be difficult. I'd pick up at least an 80mm fan. If you're on a budget, check out these 80mm Masscool fans on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835150007.

If modifying the connectors doesn't work you can also pick up the 3-pin to 4-pin molex connectors for fairly cheap: http://www.svc.com/du3to4ad.html.

Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts